Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom single chamber catback?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default custom single chamber catback?

I'm thinking about putting a new exhaust on my car before winter. The previous owner had some custom badly welded/bent system installed that I want to scrap.

I've installed LTs and TSP catted y. What I'm thinking is do a custom catback with a flowmaster 10 series single chamber with a hidden tip [similar to how mufflex hides their tip]. All the searching I've done yields duals with single chambers. Did fine someone who had a 10 series dumped with an h pipe though.

Originally I was thinking about a Hooker catback. And I'm not too interested in the Magnaflow sound. But saw some threads about Hooker quality going downhill so I thought of this...

I'm thinking maybe add the single chamber in the stock muffler location. So the system would be:

LTs > catted y > catback over the axle > 10 series > hidden tip

My car is a good weather DD. I'm looking for an aggressive sound but with minimal to no drone. I'll still be making long trips [4+ hours] in this car. So
what are your thoughts/opinions on this? Good idea for a DD car or will the single chamber be too loud?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I ran a single chamber, loved it. It was a 4 inch in/out. I did have it dumped but considered running it out the back. I have some sound clips and such located here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...e-chamber.html
Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Minimal to no Drone & Flowaster.. wha?? Every Flowmaster I've had has had a ton of drone in the F-cars but they do sound great though.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Flowmasters drone, thats the nature of their design. They sound good IMO and only drone at certain rpms. It can be minimized by taking it out the back....as opposed to having it dumped.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 10 series do sound great. I had the 80 series then I switched to the 40's with long tubes and cats. It was too quiet for me so I decided to go with a lm1. To be honest its really not that much louder than my 40 series was. Both had/have drone but it didnt bother me at all.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

01ss - Your original thread was what made me consider the 10 series for this.

Yeah I kinda figured a 1 chamber would have a little drone. Was hoping the catted y and running it out the back would reduce it enough where it wasn't noticable. Was thinking for the price of the muffler and tubing it couldn't hurt to try it out for awhile to see.

Any other recommendations besides a 10 series for my situation? Thought about GMMG as well but not sure if I can drop that kind of money right now.

Keep the info coming guys!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i was gonna reccomend any muffler id say go with a magnaflow or a borla xr1 or something but thats just the sound i like. i dont like the hooker mufflers either theres an aerochamber sittin in my garage i think would sound better if i shot it with a shotgun. i cant stand the way single chambers sound there are a couple cammed fbodies around here with them and when they stand on it it sounds like an idiot yelling RRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO.

i cant stand it but thats just but again thats all totally my opinion. but as they said any muffler might drone when its dumped if you dont want it to drone i suggest makin it exit the rear of the car.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

I do plan on running over the axle and running a hidden tip like the mufflex system. The muffler would be in the stock location. Thought about a Mufflex but I'm not too sure if I like any of their muffler choices. Anyone have any experience with the StainlessWorks chambered mufflers [similar to GMMG]?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

My muffler is for sale, obviously. I'm throwing in a 4>3 reducer and a mandrel turndown already welded on as well (for the tipless look if desired). Muffler goes for $130 new with no knock-offs available in the 4 inch size. Thinking of around $60 to your door. Might be something you consider.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

^ If you don't mind me asking, why are you selling the muffler? What system did you move on to?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Went to a full catback again (magnaflow) with a cut-out. I just like trying different stuff. Car has been pretty loud for years so I figured I would tone it down some.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:28 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running a knockoff 10 series on my DD through stock manifolds and cats dumped before the axle.

I'm switching to a H-pipe setup on my CETA with two 10 series' on it
Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

So I'm starting to look at piping. I want to replace everything from the i-pipe back. My TSP catted y seems to neck down slightly after the merger, anyone know what size i-pipe I should be looking for to buy?

I think I want to do a 3" system back...unless a 4" would really make a big difference. I saw a thread about 4" catbacks and saw someone fabbed up a custom system using parts from Heavy Duty Exhaust. I might just use those part numbers if the 4" would really benefit me.