Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV valve, anyone have a picture of this??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011 | 05:10 AM
The Scammer Hammer

LS6 Valley- https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1391187-ls1-ls6-valley-cover-question.html

Part #'s
-12577927 (valley cover, comes with bolts & gasket)
-12594779 (hose)
Old 07-13-2011 | 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

I just spoke with my mechanic, who by the way is a sponsor here, and he said that not to worry about doing this LS6 valley swap my stock stuff is fine. Also 3 hours labor and the price of the cover......$340. Not to mention that he would NEED to CUT the BLOCK to install it. I'll stick with my $12 fix thank you. I've been driving my car since I bought it in November of 1997 and have Never had ANY Problems...yes ALL 275,000 miles of it's life. My question is why do you want to talk people into expensive things that they don't really need. Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-13-2011 | 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

I'm sorry, but my opinion is you got some bad advice. After all, if your system was so good, why did GM change it to the newer style?

If your PCV system is properly operating, and you drive your car at all hard, that system sucks oil. Of that fact there is no doubt. There are a lot of catch cans being sold on the market for that reason. The LS6 set up seems to cure that...or nearly so anyway. I know it flat dried my engine up. I was using a quart every 800 miles. Now I use zip. I mean nothing. Plus the plugs don't look half fouled and the intake isn't full of oil.

I didn't have to cut the block on mine as it was a late enough version (some call it the LS6 block) that it didn't have that tab. But even if it needs that trimmed, it takes nothing more than a few minutes to do and it doesn't harm a darn thing. Like I said...most 2001 up blocks didn't have it.

Finally, I don't think this is more expensive at all. Look at the price of new hoses, etc for your system...then the price of the valley cover and hose for the new system.

To each his own, but I see no upside to paying for that antiquated and horrible system when you can have so much better for less money.
Old 07-13-2011 | 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
I'm sorry, but my opinion is you got some bad advice. After all, if your system was so good, why did GM change it to the newer style?

If your PCV system is properly operating, and you drive your car at all hard, that system sucks oil. Of that fact there is no doubt. There are a lot of catch cans being sold on the market for that reason. The LS6 set up seems to cure that...or nearly so anyway. I know it flat dried my engine up. I was using a quart every 800 miles. Now I use zip. I mean nothing. Plus the plugs don't look half fouled and the intake isn't full of oil.

I didn't have to cut the block on mine as it was a late enough version (some call it the LS6 block) that it didn't have that tab. But even if it needs that trimmed, it takes nothing more than a few minutes to do and it doesn't harm a darn thing. Like I said...most 2001 up blocks didn't have it.

Finally, I don't think this is more expensive at all. Look at the price of new hoses, etc for your system...then the price of the valley cover and hose for the new system.

To each his own, but I see no upside to paying for that antiquated and horrible system when you can have so much better for less money.

If you read the OP he wanted something cheap and fast which is what I gave him. Then all of a sudden I have people busting my *****. This is what has worked for me I don't lose oil in my car so i don't know what you guy's are talking about. 275,000 miles and NO issues. The rest I have said already. There is an old saying " If you don't anything GOOD to say then DON"T say anything. I tell ya i've gotten a lot of GOOD Help from the guy's on this forum but a lot of you people are just ********!
Old 07-13-2011 | 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

where in the hell did that come from??? My first sentence says it's my OPINION...and I get this?

Good for you on your car for 275,000 and no issues or oil consumption.

For the rest, the LS6 change is very viable...or it wouldn't be so popular.
Old 07-13-2011 | 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

where in the hell did that come from??? My first sentence says it's my OPINION...and I get this?

Good for you on your car for 275,000 and no issues or oil consumption.

For the rest, the LS6 change is very viable...or it wouldn't be so popular.

Sorry but now you know how I feel.........just trying to help a brother.
Old 07-13-2011 | 10:17 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Well, I'm sure the OP appreciates the help, but nobody here is being an *******, except you.

If you're getting quoted LABOR for a valley cover.... maybe it's time to take the keys out of your fanny-pack and hang them up.
Old 07-16-2011 | 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Well, I'm sure the OP appreciates the help, but nobody here is being an *******, except you.

If you're getting quoted LABOR for a valley cover.... maybe it's time to take the keys out of your fanny-pack and hang them up.
Sorry dude don't have a fanny pack don't know what one is, sounds to me like you do though....hmmm.....

been fixing cars since 1973 so don't need your "quotes" I was answering a question and trying to help a guy and you and others jumped in and starting telling me I was wrong. A question was asked and a question was answered, end of subject. I've been READING things on the site for years. When I first starting posting I was told there were Big Egos here and to just try to ignore them,I do but i guess I'm not successful. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's no good.
Old 07-17-2011 | 12:47 AM
The Scammer Hammer

It has nothing to do with me not liking it. It has to do with what's right.

Don't go on here spewing filth about the LS6 valley "isn't needed." Oil consumption is a very well documented problem with these engines. I'm glad your 12 dollar fix is working. Kudos. When it fails again, and it WILL, what then? Another 12 bucks? And again?

I do however, find an issue that you're getting quoted from a mechanic $340 for labor, plus the 70 bucks for the valley cover, when you've been fixing cars since 1973.....

You keep telling the story. I'll just tell the facts.
Old 07-17-2011 | 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

I do however, find an issue that you're getting quoted from a mechanic $340 for labor, plus the 70 bucks for the valley cover, when you've been fixing cars since 1973.....
I think that about says it all....
Old 07-17-2011 | 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

I think that about says it all....

Have all the issues you want. Just because I can do it doesn't mean I want to do it. The biggest thing i'm going to do to THIS motor is change the spark plugs..........and that is Toooooooo much of a pain in the ***. I like the car but I think the designer shouldbe Beaten! lol.
Old 07-17-2011 | 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

It has nothing to do with me not liking it. It has to do with what's right.

Don't go on here spewing filth about the LS6 valley "isn't needed." Oil consumption is a very well documented problem with these engines. I'm glad your 12 dollar fix is working. Kudos. When it fails again, and it WILL, what then? Another 12 bucks? And again?

You keep telling the story. I'll just tell the facts.
I didn't say it "isn't needed" read why don't ya. I said it was an answer to the op's question.
Old 07-17-2011 | 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

The PCV "works" but not as well as the LS6 valley cover (not to mention how much it cleans up the engine bay). That said, I don't blame anyone for just replacing the PCV. Most of times enough to get by is just that, enough. A lot of people don't have money to throw down to make things perfect right now.
Old 07-17-2011 | 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tpunk
The PCV "works" but not as well as the LS6 valley cover (not to mention how much it cleans up the engine bay). That said, I don't blame anyone for just replacing the PCV. Most of times enough to get by is just that, enough. A lot of people don't have money to throw down to make things perfect right now.
Finally Someone who knows how to read Thank YOU Sir!!!!!
Old 07-17-2011 | 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's good to get different opinions, even the ones you don't like or want to hear, it's called constructive criticism. Yes sometimes it can be mindless insults, in that case there's no constructive content, and the person is wasting their time and the time of everyone else who wants to help or learn something. Every website has it's "********" you just have to remember to wipe and flush.
Old 07-17-2011 | 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
It's good to get different opinions, even the ones you don't like or want to hear, it's called constructive criticism. Yes sometimes it can be mindless insults, in that case there's no constructive content, and the person is wasting their time and the time of everyone else who wants to help or learn something. Every website has it's "********" you just have to remember to wipe and flush.

Now that's sum funny ****!
Old 07-17-2011 | 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DANZWS6
Now that's sum funny ****!
2nd that.
Old 07-17-2011 | 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Everyone has their opinions, but I think swapping the Valley would be about as much of a PITA as the plugs would be, but my opinion, I've been working on cars since 2009 so bite it. And I think I'd be able to knock that bastard out with help of the write up.
Old 07-17-2011 | 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

: : : : :
Old 07-17-2011 | 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Now THAT is FUNNY

Quick Reply: PCV valve, anyone have a picture of this??