Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

longtube headers and ypipe are illegal? and what is the best set

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longtube headers and ypipe are illegal? and what is the best set

so are longtube headers really illegal for daily driver use will i get in trouble for them? and what is the best set with catted ypipe for under 800 bucks and how much hp will i see from them
Old 08-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Banned

Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically they are illegal. Anything that moves the cats from their original factory location is not legal according to federal law. That being said this is only an issue in states where a visual inspection of the cats has to be done every xx amount of years. If your state does not require any sort of inspection then mod away.

As for best for cost, most will go pacesetter LT/tsp ory. It is a decent low cost alternative. For a bit more I'd recommend TSP 1 7/8 and their ory. Jst check ot texas speed and performance.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

most places only car that their is cats and two that it passes the obd2 plug in test .
Old 08-02-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
most places only car that their is cats and two that it passes the obd2 plug in test .
Translation: Most places only care that there are cats and also that it passes OBDII test.

I think? Not trying to be a dick but I had to read that about 4 times to figure out what he was trying to say. But back to the topic, I like my pacesetters and TSP Y pipe. Low price, went in without problems, perform just as well or better than more expensive options.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Sorry for the lack of coherency. Damn iPhone typing on and thinking one thing and typing another. At least I don't just do that to my fiance I make incoherent sentences to everyone. I hope this one came out Better.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Ik in indiana if you want any exhaust work done by a body shop you need to have some sort of something that appears like you have cats. Functional or not.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
Sorry for the lack of coherency. Damn iPhone typing on and thinking one thing and typing another. At least I don't just do that to my fiance I make incoherent sentences to everyone. I hope this one came out Better.
Haha I understand man, autocorrect gets me a lot of times... try to text someone something and complete random BS is what gets sent...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by babbage1109
Ik in indiana if you want any exhaust work done by a body shop you need to have some sort of something that appears like you have cats. Functional or not.
maybe in the region, but not down here. you just chose the wrong shop haha.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by s346k
maybe in the region, but not down here. you just chose the wrong shop haha.
You just have to know people; the shops around here won't touch a car for exhaust work if it doesn't have cats (like a $25k fine for them IIRC), but they will if you are friends with them.

The best way is to try and fly under the radar, and maybe get a quiet cat-back. No revving up when there might be cops around as I think almost any exhaust with LTs and an ORY is going to get you pulled over if you go WOT within earshot of cops.

Quick Reply: longtube headers and ypipe are illegal? and what is the best set