Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ebay headers installed today 08/12/11

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay headers installed today 08/12/11

I installed some ebay headers i got from an ls1tech member today , took about 5 hours, first time ever installing headers....i chose not to believe all the bs about the ebay headers being junk because true fact is most of these guys never tried em, I had the car on ramps that had the car a good 14"-16" in the air and the headers went in tooooooooooo easy, no notching of the k-member nor did i have to take the oil filter, oil pan plug out.....plus i didnt have to saw the tab off the side of the block....easiest install ever.....taking it to the exhaust shop in the morning to have y-pipe made using a magnaflow merge...and im on my way now to buy new plug wires.....just wanted to let you guys know how it went!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

So many haters out there. Mine fit perfect, no complaints.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what seller the headers came from?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

nope bought em from an ls1tech member
Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Teching In

It seems like people either have really good luck and they fit great or they have really bad luck like me and they fit like socks on a chicken.(and yes my mounts are new) I wont get into the details and jack your thread but needless to say my Kook's came yesterday. Glad everything worked out good for you.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Man i was surprised my damn self! They slid in there like they was destined to be there, cant wait to get the y-pipe made tomorrow so i can see what a difference it made
Old 08-12-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not "bullshit" about ebay headers being bad; there are scores of threads about issues with them. You simply take the coin flip on whether you get a good set or a bad set, and balance possibly getting a bad set with the low initial cost.

You won the coin flip, so be happy with that and don't call all the documented problems with ebay headers "bullshit".
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Element
It's not "bullshit" about ebay headers being bad; there are scores of threads about issues with them. You simply take the coin flip on whether you get a good set or a bad set, and balance possibly getting a bad set with the low initial cost.

You won the coin flip, so be happy with that and don't call all the documented problems with ebay headers "bullshit".
There's also plenty of threads about Pacesetter, Hooker, even Kooks and ARH having fitment problems. The great thing about eBay headers is they're like $200 and they're stainless. If they have fitment problems, oh well, but it's better to have problems with $200 headers than with $800+ name brand headers.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
There's also plenty of threads about Pacesetter, Hooker, even Kooks and ARH having fitment problems. The great thing about eBay headers is they're like $200 and they're stainless. If they have fitment problems, oh well, but it's better to have problems with $200 headers than with $800+ name brand headers.
Most of those name-brand companies will fix defective parts, too, as can be seen by the recent ARH fitment thread.

There are different grades of stainless, and different wall thicknesses for primaries and flanges, both of which are reflected in the end price of the header. Ebay headers are fine if that's what you want to run, but they don't fall into the category of "just as good for less" when compared to Kooks or ARH for consistent fitment, overall quality, or customer support.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of those name-brand companies will fix defective parts, too, as can be seen by the recent ARH fitment thread.

There are different grades of stainless, and different wall thicknesses for primaries and flanges, both of which are reflected in the end price of the header. Ebay headers are fine if that's what you want to run, but they don't fall into the category of "just as good for less" when compared to Kooks or ARH for consistent fitment, overall quality, or customer support.
Agreed, but considering how many LS1 owners are high school and college age, dropping $800+ on just a set of headers is hard to justify, and nor do we want nasty rusty Pacesetters.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
Agreed, but considering how many LS1 owners are high school and college age, dropping $800+ on just a set of headers is hard to justify, and nor do we want nasty rusty Pacesetters.
Completely understandable; as long as one goes into it knowing there might be issues with fitment, whatever works, works.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Because 1 set fit perfectly, doesn't mean they all do. I've had customers bring me those headers, and I've had to call and tell them to order something else unless they wanted to triple their install payment.

The quality control on that stuff is complete ****. You'll get 1 set out of 10 that are bent right, and the other 9 sets require cutting half the K-frame out to get them in. No thanks. Pacesetters are cheap enough, and work just fine. BBK as well.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

I wish i knew which ones these were off ebay, i wanna sell the mac setup i have and get this!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pajamasam
I wish i knew which ones these were off ebay, i wanna sell the mac setup i have and get this!
They're all probably made in the same factory in China and just resold by different people on ebay. All the "ebay headers" as are being discussed in this thread look pretty much exactly the same; goofy collector/primary merge design, with the weird angle on the driver's side collector.

One's as good as any other if you want to stick with the budget route.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

you didnt happen to measure yours before you put them in? or what the seller specified?
Because i notice theres a set of ebay headers that are 2" in, 3" out, and theres another set thats 1.75" in and 3" out. different sellers of course.

Im thinking maybe all the people that complain about ebay headers got one size and maybe all the people that got the other size had a shitty time.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

They're all probably made in the same factory in China and just resold by different people on ebay. All the "ebay headers" as are being discussed in this thread look pretty much exactly the same; goofy collector/primary merge design, with the weird angle on the driver's side collector.

One's as good as any other if you want to stick with the budget route.
They're all copies of Hooker headers, which are also similar to Jet Hot.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:37 AM
Launching!

mine fit well enough and when i ended up paying like 120 bucks for em i didnt give a damn what they were. theyve been on for a year now and no signs of deterioration or anything unlike my buddys car whos pacesetters looked like they were about to rust through. ah well i wouldnt mind the coated pacesetters but i just got too good of a deal on mine
Old 08-13-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

We have done the whole "ebay" header thread a million times. This is a technical section so lets keep it limited to questions/technical discussions and not back and forth about these china headers.

Quick Reply: ebay headers installed today 08/12/11