Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does my bullet muffler have to have a turndown???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does my bullet muffler have to have a turndown???

ok i have hooker long tubes, tsp ory, and a single bullet muffler attatched to the end of the y pipe, can i have the muffler just be straight or does it have to have a turndown on it? it looks like its aimed a little lower than the rear end
Old 08-13-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

dont think it has to, 2 reasons we do are keep heat off floor pan and the sound is much better because the back flow off the ground
Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

It does make the ground thump which is cool with a big cam but it also kicks up dust. I had a turndown with an internal silencer cone that really toned down the sound BUT when it fell off and got lost, I drove for years without it. No complaints other than I though it may have added heat to the rear axle.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I did a turndown turned slightly towards the passengerside on my first "dumped" exhaust (good).On my 2nd setup I pointed the turndown only slightly down, with the exhaust flow shooting slightly towards the passengerside (better). On my 3rd "Dumped" setup the exhaust shoots almost straight towards the back and slightly down (best). So no, you don't a turn-down, but you'll still want the exhaust flow to shoot slightly downward, away from the undercarriage.

Here's my first two "Dumped" exhaust setups, and my new one.

1st.

2nd.

3rd( current)

The Moroso muffler will be replaced (heavy drone under 2k) on Monday with a Borla XR-1 3.5" in/out muffler.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice pics, the problem with mine is the turndown part of the exhaust kept hitting the bottom of the car, i need some kind of hanger like u have.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Teching In

its not mandatory to have it dumped, ive got my duals slp lm1's shooting straight out the back to keep it a little quieter
Old 08-13-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just buy a universal hanger(dynomax about $7) , then remove the heat shield that's behind the hanger so see on mine. With the shield off you'll see a tab welded to the body that the heat shield bolts to, you'll want to drill the threaded bracket to with a 1/4" or larger drill bit. Then you'll want a 1/4" bolt(3/4" thread length) and nut along with one or two 3/4" to 1" outside diameter washers. To mount the nut slid it down the back side of the tab and thread the bolt into it to hold it in place. Now use some 2 part epoxy putty(JB weld) and pack it all around the nut really good until it dries good, or you can put a couple of good tack welds (one above /one below). Now you can have the bottom of the hanger welded to the exhaust pipe or use a regular exhaust pipe clamp to clamp it to the exhaust pipe.

That's how mine has been mounted for +4 yrs now.

I hope this helps you out.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-13-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: does my bullet muffler have to have a turndown???