Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about ported throttle body.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpo
Why bother if all that is gained is "throttle response," whatever that is. That term really cracks me up, it's almost like people have been brainwashed to repeat "I gained throttle response."
You have a ported TB. Why did you bother then?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Oh SNAP!!

Haha, it's true...isn't the whole point of modding to make the car more enjoyable to drive? I noticed that my engine revs a little faster, and when I give it gas it seeemed to repond quicker, and therefore felt a little faster. Do I think a gained a second in the 1/4? No.

But, I spent 50 bucks, and for that 50 bucks I feel that the car drives a bit better. Well worth it, whether or not I see any gains at the track.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Just a update for ya WhiteKnight, I just received/installed my TB from photz 6. Shipping was fast(2 days), no weird idle, throttle response has definitely stepped up, $50 well spent. I was hoping for more pics of the girl but i got hosed.
Now I just need to data log and have Frost retune for the Ls6 intake and the TB.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AMS13
Just a update for ya WhiteKnight, I just received/installed my TB from photz 6. Shipping was fast(2 days), no weird idle, throttle response has definitely stepped up, $50 well spent. I was hoping for more pics of the girl but i got hosed.
Now I just need to data log and have Frost retune for the Ls6 intake and the TB.
Glad to hear the positive results. My car already has the LS6 intake, do you think I would need a tune just for a P&P TB?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear the positive results. My car already has the LS6 intake, do you think I would need a tune just for a P&P TB?
no, wait untill u get more mods b4 u dynotune
Old 08-27-2011, 02:27 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

When I first bought my car I did it along with the fra, tb coolant bypass etc. and didn't notice a thing afterward, not even "improved throttle response." I did polish it up and made it purdy though, at least that was worth some of the effort.

For those that felt an improved throttle response, that's great. But there's no need to be bothered or upset at those of us that didn't feel any seat of the pants gain whatsoever, and to even question if it was worth the time to do it.

One mod that I absolutely did notice a difference was a Frost mail order tune. That mod, HID lighting, the interior sound deadening, and my audio upgrades where by far worth every penny and hour of labor.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

A properly ported TB will give you gains on the dyno and on the street:
Name:  tbdyno1.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  52.5 KB
Name:  tbdyno2.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  45.7 KB
Name:  tbdyno3.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  53.2 KB
Name:  04gtotbgain.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  46.8 KB
Old 08-27-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

I have more if needed.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Has anybody looked at what this mod does to your STFT/LTFT's from stock to ported TB?
Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bo White
A properly ported TB will give you gains on the dyno and on the street:
That's more like it, even if it were just a couple of hp I'd say it's worth it. Now for the feeling an improved throttle response and butt dyno, I think those claims are mixed with a little wishful thinking. Kinda like when I detail my car and then take it for a ride, I swear it feels faster, lol.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cpo
When I first bought my car I did it along with the fra, tb coolant bypass etc. and didn't notice a thing afterward, not even "improved throttle response." I did polish it up and made it purdy though, at least that was worth some of the effort.

For those that felt an improved throttle response, that's great. But there's no need to be bothered or upset at those of us that didn't feel any seat of the pants gain whatsoever, and to even question if it was worth the time to do it.

One mod that I absolutely did notice a difference was a Frost mail order tune. That mod, HID lighting, the interior sound deadening, and my audio upgrades where by far worth every penny and hour of labor.
What did you do for "sound deadening"?
Old 08-27-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cpo

Did you port it yourself, or have it done?

Nothing against you, but is it possible that there's a difference between a home port job and a professionally done one?

I held my stock one up to the ported one, and there's DEF a difference there. I was surprised at how much meat he was able to take off.

And those dyno charts are impressive...even if I only gained 5hp/5ft lbs, not bad for 50 bucks.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

What did you do for "sound deadening"?
Here is a thread I started about the process:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...deadening.html
Old 08-27-2011, 02:24 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Did you port it yourself, or have it done?

Nothing against you, but is it possible that there's a difference between a home port job and a professionally done one?

I held my stock one up to the ported one, and there's DEF a difference there. I was surprised at how much meat he was able to take off.

And those dyno charts are impressive...even if I only gained 5hp/5ft lbs, not bad for 50 bucks.
Seeing actual hp gains on the dyno results that Bo White posted are good enough for me. That is exactly what I was hoping for when I ported my throttle body. If there had been no dyno proven hp gains, and only debatable (and impossible to prove) "improved throttle response," I would have never wasted my time in the first place.

I'm willing to do hours of work to gain a couple of free hp. Now spending $1000 on an intake manifold for example is something I am not willing to do.

Great work Bo, gl with your sales.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cpo
Seeing actual hp gains on the dyno results that Bo White posted are good enough for me. That is exactly what I was hoping for when I ported my throttle body. If there had been no dyno proven hp gains, and only debatable (and impossible to prove) "improved throttle response," I would have never wasted my time in the first place.

I'm willing to do hours of work to gain a couple of free hp. Now spending $1000 on an intake manifold for example is something I am not willing to do.

Great work Bo, gl with your sales.
Are you referring to the LS6 intake? I think most of those go for around $300-$400. There might be higher quality versions of it that retail for more though.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:36 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Are you referring to the LS6 intake? I think most of those go for around $300-$400. There might be higher quality versions of it that retail for more though.
There are no LS6 intake manifolds out there that even remotely approach $1000. Only an idiot or smart-*** (bingo) would fail to make the F.A.S.T. intake manifold connection when referring to $1000 intake manifolds.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cpo
There are no LS6 intake manifolds out there that even remotely approach $1000. Only an idiot or smart-*** (bingo) would fail to make the F.A.S.T. intake manifold connection when referring to $1000 intake manifolds.
So now I'm an idiot or a smart-*** because I don't know about some intake manifolds out there?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

So now I'm an idiot or a smart-*** because I don't know about some intake manifolds out there?
Even my wife knows the difference between an LS6 and F.A.S.T intake manifold. I still believe you were being a smart *** with that question before, but if I am wrong then I stand corrected.

But seriously though, you have been a member of LS1Tech.com for over a year yet you "don't know about" LS6 and F.A.S.T. manifolds and there price points? We need to educate you, quick!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Since this is a thread about throttle bodys and I dont want to create a new one of my own, I will ask a question. No intention of thread jacking.

Will a ported LS6 throttle body directly swap in place of the stock ls1 throttle body? Reason is I have a brand new ls6 throttle body and dont want to port my ls1 one. I will port the ls6 one. So can I do that and will it directly go on with just connecting the two cables? It looks almost like the ls6 tb's cable hook ups are slightly different.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cpo
Even my wife knows the difference between an LS6 and F.A.S.T intake manifold. I still believe you were being a smart *** with that question before, but if I am wrong then I stand corrected.

But seriously though, you have been a member of LS1Tech.com for over a year yet you "don't know about" LS6 and F.A.S.T. manifolds and there price points? We need to educate you, quick!
I have been a member over a year but only in the past few months did I start posting on here. So I am still a newb to most of this stuff. Rather rude of you to call me an idiot and smart *** for not knowing about some intake, I don't know everything. And so what if your wife knows? She's married to you, I bet you talk about car stuff all the time, I don't have anyone that talks about car stuff all the time to me. You really need to tone down the attitude a bit and realize not everyone knows everything about these cars and prices on select aftermarket parts.

Quick Reply: Questions about ported throttle body.