Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about ported throttle body.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about ported throttle body.

My first question is, can someone tell me in detail what a ported throttle body is?

My next question, what are the expected gains from a ported throttle body, in crank HP, WHP, and TQ, and MPG's if any.

My next question, how do you port a throttle body? Is this something I could simply do myself?

My last question, are there any cons, anything negative at all about doing this? I want to be fully aware of all risks I take, if any with this.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-yourself.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ttle-body.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ttle-body.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ported-tb.html
Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Banned

Wow, good threads. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Considering you can get one professional done on ebay for about 50 bucks, I'd just go that route.

I got one from ebay last summer, I think the username was Photz_6, it's the add with the girl with hte big rack holding the TB.

Thework was great, and I got it very quickly. The nice thing about his service is you don't have to send in your own to be ported, you just pay a core charge and send your old one back after you install the new one. This way your car is only down for 20 min or so.

I noticed an improved throttle response with mine, and it seemed to pull a bit harder off the line. I noticed this just driving down my street after the install. I think it was well worht the money. Not sure if I gained anything at the track, I haven't been since the install.

The SOTP gains were worth it though, and I didn't have any of the SES light or idle issues you sometimes read about.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:30 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just don't forget the O-ring on the IAC when you swap. Talk about a headache....
Old 08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Considering you can get one professional done on ebay for about 50 bucks, I'd just go that route.

I got one from ebay last summer, I think the username was Photz_6, it's the add with the girl with hte big rack holding the TB.

Thework was great, and I got it very quickly. The nice thing about his service is you don't have to send in your own to be ported, you just pay a core charge and send your old one back after you install the new one. This way your car is only down for 20 min or so.

I noticed an improved throttle response with mine, and it seemed to pull a bit harder off the line. I noticed this just driving down my street after the install. I think it was well worht the money. Not sure if I gained anything at the track, I haven't been since the install.

The SOTP gains were worth it though, and I didn't have any of the SES light or idle issues you sometimes read about.
Ebay ehh? And they send you a brand new ported TB? Nice.

So you had absolutely no problems with yours? Do you need to get a tune?

Other guy says don't forget the O-ring, guessing that it doesn't come with one of those?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Ebay ehh? And they send you a brand new ported TB? Nice.

So you had absolutely no problems with yours? Do you need to get a tune?

Other guy says don't forget the O-ring, guessing that it doesn't come with one of those?
Most companies only send you the equivalent of a core back, so it doesn't have your IAC or throttle position sensor on it. You have to transfer those over from your TB to the new one.

Most of them won't be "brand new" however. They are refurbished (hence why you have to send them a core back). They then port and polish (and in some cases powder coat) and then sell them to the next customer.

As for a tune, I'd not bother with it until/unless you are done with all the basic bolt on mods you plan. Not much to be gained over the stock tune versus the cost.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Cool, thanks for the info. So it's only about $50 right, everyone agrees it's worth it and you actually are able to feel a slight difference?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Teching In

i got mines off ebay from that Photz_6 guy too. He shipped out the part fast. good throttle response.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got mne from him too. If you send him yours first like I did he will polish your IAC and have both sensors reinstalled on the new TB for you upon return. He will also include the coolant bypass pipe for $5 more. Lifetime waranty on moving parts, great guy to deal with.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll have better throttle response. It'll seem more responsive when barely giving it fuel and mine whistles more through the air box with the ported tb. You might pick up 5rwhp so at WOT you probably won't feel anything but every bit counts.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PheonixLS1
I got mne from him too. If you send him yours first like I did he will polish your IAC and have both sensors reinstalled on the new TB for you upon return. He will also include the coolant bypass pipe for $5 more. Lifetime waranty on moving parts, great guy to deal with.
What do you need a coolant bypass pipe for?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you ask him to cut the coolant pipes and plug them you will need the coolant bypass pipe. Bypass allows the throttle body to not be heated by the coolant allowing the incoming air to stay cooler. Now if you DD this car and dive in cold conditions I wouldn't bypass the coolant as it keeps the TB from freezing up during cold temps. I only drive my car on hot sunny days the rest of the time it under a cover so I did mine.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Well I live in the deep south, it was 100 degrees here today. But I sometimes go home to Indiana where temperatures go below 0, so I think I'll keep mine how it is.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
Most companies only send you the equivalent of a core back, so it doesn't have your IAC or throttle position sensor on it. You have to transfer those over from your TB to the new one.

Most of them won't be "brand new" however. They are refurbished (hence why you have to send them a core back). They then port and polish (and in some cases powder coat) and then sell them to the next customer.

As for a tune, I'd not bother with it until/unless you are done with all the basic bolt on mods you plan. Not much to be gained over the stock tune versus the cost.
Yup, you just have to swap a few things over.

Not new, but so clean it LOOKS like new. Plus he threw in a polished return spring for no charge.

I did the coolant bypass mod, I figured I might as well go for it if I was swapping TB's. I just bought a brass coupler from Home Depot and connected the two hoses with it using factory clamps.

Prob didn't help anything, but also didn't hurt anything. And I occasionally drive my car in the winter, and I didn't notice any probs with it this past winter.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The coolant hose on our throttle bodies is pretty redundant. By the time you are able to comfortable drive your car on a real cold day, the engine will have already warmed the bay enough that your TB should be defrosted anyway. So unless you are trying to just hop in and go on a -20 degree day you will be fine.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
The coolant hose on our throttle bodies is pretty redundant. By the time you are able to comfortable drive your car on a real cold day, the engine will have already warmed the bay enough that your TB should be defrosted anyway. So unless you are trying to just hop in and go on a -20 degree day you will be fine.
Where I'm from in Indiana it has gotten down to -20 before.

Granted, I live in the deep south now, but I go back and visit family in the winter time, and it can get brutal there.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 AM
Banned

Nice throttle response and maybe 1-2 hp
Old 08-25-2011, 02:52 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Why bother if all that is gained is "throttle response," whatever that is. That term really cracks me up, it's almost like people have been brainwashed to repeat "I gained throttle response."
Old 08-25-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cpo
Why bother if all that is gained is "throttle response," whatever that is. That term really cracks me up, it's almost like people have been brainwashed to repeat "I gained throttle response."
When I hit the pedal I want something to happen now, not in 1-2 sec. or not have to fan the the thing to get it to rev. That is the "throttle response" most want.

Quick Reply: Questions about ported throttle body.