Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home made CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks i appreciate it!
Trust me this wont be as hard as remodeling the bathroom..the only major expense is the brake i used to do the metal bends, it was $40...but now i have a new tool forever.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Ok, 1 question, I know i have to cutout more of the intake housing so the air flow from it will come up and go in, but after taking the intake off, whats the black plastic cover over the radiator or whatever, is it going to affect anything with water getting to it?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

i dont think i cut anything in the intake housing..
The black cover over the radiator is the shroud, which is obnoxious to get off...Im pretty sure i just took the bottom half off permanently
But i Just crammed it between the shroud and the body (actually im pretty sure the AC is in front of the radiator anyway..)
I did have to push it WAY back to get it in...im pretty sure i bent some metal near the bottom, but pulled it back when i was putting the lid back on.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice.. I have to get on doing mine. I made some mods under my airbox and have a lot more space to work with though.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
No, its not the dryer tubing one, sorry.
COST:
aluminium:$20
Rivet Gun+Rivets:$10
18" Brake sheet metal bender: $40.
Patience....
Have yet to make a good seal for it...Ill work on it.
Ok, so I just finished making mine, but I can get it to fit in there, the bottom is about 4.5 inches opening. I cant go from the top, trying to go from the bottom but I get half way and thats it. In your 2nd picture, what happens if I remove that bar under the car? Then put it in and replace bar after.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Regular

i think you would need to cut that bar to remove it, i tried that at first too... its just a bolt and other end is attached to the frame. You need to push your radiator/ac back, towards the engine, then once you get it kinda jammed in there, i used a rubber malllot to tap it down without hurting it, Youll bend the AC/radiator back when you put your lid back on, dont worry its not too much of a bend.

ALSO i would go look at some other kits installation instructions, Like SSRA, FTRA, and see what they did to get it in.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:27 PM

SSRA is two pieces. One goes in from the top and one from the bottom and they meet around the V- brace.
Its made of some sort of plastic and has proved to be fairly durable. Its been in my car for about three years without any issues.
You project does capture my interest though. Keep us posted on your success.

Quick Reply: Home made CAI