Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MasterQuality 20182 Premium Remanufactured Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:49 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MasterQuality 20182 Premium Remanufactured Alternator

Anyone know if this is a 4-pin/wire KG3 alternator? These are remanufactured and seem to be highly available online for very cheap. Unfortunately, the sales websites give very little specifications and none list a phone number.

As far as finding a used KG3, I'm having a very hard time finding a 4-pin version. Every place I've called so far only have the 3-pin (or is it 2-pin?), and many of those places tell me the 3-pin and 4-pin are interchangeable. From what I have read here, that is completely wrong as only 4-pins will work??

Last edited by cpo; 08-24-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just get a reman stocker?

i picked up a reman stock alternator for 85$, works like a charm
Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nik1703
why not just get a reman stocker?

i picked up a reman stock alternator for 85$, works like a charm
There are several reasons why I don't want a re manufactured stock alternator, but that's not the point of this thread.

Deleting your question and editing in "I don't know" would actually be more helpful to me than your irrelevant question. Yup, I'm being a dick but I am getting sick of the "Why didn't you just...." pointless questions.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

im not familiar with this brand but ive had terrible luck with reman. alternators.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
im not familiar with this brand but ive had terrible luck with reman. alternators.
Good point, I forgot about the high chance of getting crappy rectifiers with remanufactured units.

Now if I can just find a used 4-pin KG3, as I mentioned before every eBay or car-parts.com listing I've found so far are all non-4-pins.

If anyone happens to find one online, please post a link.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

dude im from Ocala, there has to be a AD244 or similar alternator sitting in a junk yard you can pluck for cheap and still works.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

is there a LQK yard around you?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cookba
dude im from Ocala, there has to be a AD244 or similar alternator sitting in a junk yard you can pluck for cheap and still works.
Trust me there are shitloads of AD244's, it's finding one that is a 4-pin that is the challenge.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

This is confusing to many reading it. The "KG3" alternator is the 130/145 amp alternator that comes on a GM truck. "KG3" is the GM option code, which I've almost never seen anybody refer to it as. Everybody simply calls it the big truck alternator. It is physically larger than what comes in the F-body cars.

Now that that's clarified, CPO, you shoulda done some more homework or a search, which would've guided you to the rather long but excellent thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-failures.html

ALL these alternators have four pin terminal sockets. All the vehicles that employ them have four pin plugs. Only one wire is used in the F-body applications.

I got mine as an AC-Delco reman on ebay and it's been working just great. In my experience, you won't even be able to buy a new unit unless you spend like $450 at a GM parts counter. The best remans are the AC-Delco units.

CPO, you won't make many friends around here if you admonish people trying to help you. Often, they know more about what you are trying to do than you do. IOW, don't be a dick!
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 AM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
This is confusing to many reading it. The "KG3" alternator is the 130/145 amp alternator that comes on a GM truck. "KG3" is the GM option code, which I've almost never seen anybody refer to it as. Everybody simply calls it the big truck alternator. It is physically larger than what comes in the F-body cars.

Now that that's clarified, CPO, you shoulda done some more homework or a search, which would've guided you to the rather long but excellent thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-failures.html

ALL these alternators have four pin terminal sockets. All the vehicles that employ them have four pin plugs. Only one wire is used in the F-body applications.

I got mine as an AC-Delco reman on ebay and it's been working just great. In my experience, you won't even be able to buy a new unit unless you spend like $450 at a GM parts counter. The best remans are the AC-Delco units.

CPO, you won't make many friends around here if you admonish people trying to help you. Often, they know more about what you are trying to do than you do. IOW, don't be a dick!
All do not have 4-pin connectors, and almost everyone refers to this alternator as KG3 or AD-244. Try asking any parts guy for a "big truck alternator" and see where that gets you.

Lastly, "making friends" was not a reason I joined LS1Tech, if someone responds to my question with there own irrelevant question, then yeah I'll get annoyed. If that bothers you then that is your problem. And Paul, save your lecturing for someone who cares.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

INCORRECT. ALL KG3 optioned alternators are four pin.

GREAT. You just continue being a dick.

The rest of us here will continue being friends and knowing more/better than you.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cpo
There are several reasons why I don't want a re manufactured stock alternator, but that's not the point of this thread.

Deleting your question and editing in "I don't know" would actually be more helpful to me than your irrelevant question. Yup, I'm being a dick but I am getting sick of the "Why didn't you just...." pointless questions.

Dick indeed.

You don't need a 145a alternator because you have a couple of cute interior lights. Voted dumb.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cpo

Cool off man. You got a chip on your shoulder.

Quick Reply: MasterQuality 20182 Premium Remanufactured Alternator