Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is required to make 400 hp on a stock LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
I dont agree with your "if you want more power but better gas mileage you might not get it if you try for more power" statement, in fact.... its exactly the opposite of true! Making power is all about putting together a PACKAGE of equipment that works well together. if you installed longtubes and a Y pipe and had a properly fitted lid, then had the car tuned on a DYNO (so much different than a mail order chip) and your car did anything but pick up power everywhere and got better mpgs, then your tuner sucks. a free flowing intake and exhaust will make your engine more efficient, and a new dyno tune will tell your computer how to use this new efficiency, resulting in MORE power and BETTER mpgs, not worse.
Jimmy, that's the best advice I've read here in a long time.

Tiger, what part of Chatt do you live in, I was born there and lived in East Ridge for 30 years before moving to the Tampa area.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i try to speak from experience and give good info, especially when it has an effect on how someone is gonna spend there money. I cant emphasize the importance of a GREAT dyno tune though! i spent about 350 for mine and it was a blast for the 2 hours it was on the rollers.... don't forget to bring a camcorder, you'll want documentation of your car pulling 6500 rpm INDOORS!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LT headers and a good Y-pipe and a great flowing cat-back .a good cold air intake and after market lid.a EPS 222/226 cam shaft.or a thunder racing 224tr cam pkg.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stingray,
I also have an 01 SS, here is what i have done and so far i have put down 351 hp and 375 tqe after a good tune... Of course our year came with the LS6 intake, i installed a good filter and lid (they all make about the same power), a ported TB, smooth bellows, a quality set of plugs and wires, Stainless XS longtubes and catless y and a borlamouth (just a loudmouth II catback with a borla xr-1 bullet muffler). sounds GREAT, makes way more than 400 at the flywheel (if you use the typical 18% loss from a manual drivetrain, thats 414 engine hp and 442 tqe at the engine) drove the car around before getting the tune and i lost a bunch of mpg's cause the car ran super rich due to the new exhuast. as a stock SS i got about 18 city and 22 highway. after the exhaust it dropped to 12 city and 18 highway. AFTER THE TUNE I now get about 22 city and sometimes as high as 30 highway! this was on a trip to Georgia when i drove on the highway with the cruse set at 75 for an entire tank of gas. the "400 hp at the engine" recipe is very simple, and most properly modded LS cars already make that power, beyond that will require either a power adder (supercharger/turbo/nitrous) or heads and cam. making big hp #'s using these power adders can result in much lower mpg's, simply because they are capable of moving huge amounts of air/fuel through the engine, but a stock ls1 with a mod list similar to mine will have no trouble making 350 at the wheels while getting 25 mpgs on the highway.
So, how much of a difference will high flow cats in place of an ORY make in the big picture of things? I want to stay legal with the emissions since this is my DD.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

very little, the biggest difference you will see in a hi flow catted Y and an off road Y is the price. at power levels below 450ish you wont see any noticeable loss (assuming everything is in working order, new cats/o2 sensors). There are plenty of full emission road legal exhausts out there that will sound great, just be sure and get a full length header, it will give you the biggest gains and a great base to start modding in more heavily in the future.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Bro, the truth is that no stock SS is going to 400HP at the wheels with just a tune and its gonna take a lot more then a grand to get there. Here is what I did, my car makes 395HP at the wheels and 378tq.

SLP LT's, high flow cats and Y pipe
New Era street sweeper cam package
ported throttle body
underpully
3200 stall
Dyno tune

then you have to look at getting that power to the road which is a whole nother costly ball game
Anyway start slow, use the grand to start exhaust upgrades which will give u lots of bang for the buck, then save up for a cam upgrade which will yield you biggest HP gains.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

he wants 400 engine hp, not wheel...
Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

he wants 400 engine hp, not wheel...
This ^^

I'm looking for a modest bump that doesn't require significant engine modifications and is still manageable in the snowy months. 400 hp to the ground is a different animal all together.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike52
Jimmy, that's the best advice I've read here in a long time.

Tiger, what part of Chatt do you live in, I was born there and lived in East Ridge for 30 years before moving to the Tampa area.
I'm with you, that's very sound advise! I'm actually from a small town just a bit over from chatt, Jasper/Kimball area. I've lived in RedBank and EastRidge and right downtown (UTC dorms) over the past five years though lol.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to go OT but thanks Tiger, I know the Jasper area very well. I'm driving up to Tenn next Weds, going to the Shades of the Past car show in Pigeon Forge that weekend then back down to Chatt for a few days to celebrate my grandmother's 94th birthday.

BTW, very nice 'Gray Ghost'

Quick Reply: What is required to make 400 hp on a stock LS1?