Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug on #2 cylinder not wanting to thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug on #2 cylinder not wanting to thread

So I was doing a plug swap tonight prior to reinstalling my engine...I removed the plug on cylinder #2, swapped in the new one, and it didn't thread easily. I kept turning it about as far as I felt comfortable doing and backed it out. All the other spark plugs went in smoothly until they seated against the head. I'm afraid to overtighten it and mess up the threading in the head. I tried several different plugs with the same result. The threads on the spark plug didn't appear to be cross threaded, but I imagine the threads on the plug are much harder than the aluminum head so it wouldn't be as noticeable on the plug.

Should I take a thread chaser to it? I'm worried the threads in the head are damaged and am very hesitant to force something in. I don't know how they would have been damaged...I pulled the engine about 9 months ago, removed the plugs when removing the exhaust manifolds on the engine stand, and placed them lightly back in the head to keep dirt out. At no time was the plug difficult to remove, but now that I tried to install the plug permanently, it feels like it doesn't want to go ack in.

After all the other work I've done, I'll be pissed if I have a messed up head. Help!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

They make a spark plug thread cleaner/chaser that you put grease on so it doesn't drop any metal in the cylinder. I've seen them but have personally never used them.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

def wouldnt torque it until your shure the threads are ok did you use anti-seize on all the plugs before installing?you need to anytime two disimilar metals are being used,i like to use the high heat copper stuff and never had any prob. helps when you go to loosen stuff later down the road too
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would get a spark plug thread chaser. The thread chaser goes in and true's the threads instead of cutting like a tap would.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I used a thread chaser yesterday and it worked great. I hadn't removed the plugs since I bought the car, but the plug didn't come out unusually hard. I always use anti seize, so I'm not sure what happened. It did bring out some metal shavings, so that had me a little disconcerted, but the plug threaded back in like all the others so I suppose everything is good.