Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Bolt-on's

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Bolt-on's

Just wondering what the best bolt-ons would be to get. (which intake, throttle body,are stock heads alright, things like that)

Whats your setup? How much did it all cost and do you recommend it?

1999 Trans am A4
Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Read this:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...anna-fast.html
Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Restricted User

In order from best to least- High stall converter, Upgraded intake manifold(ls6 or fast), tune, LT's/ORY, drag radials, Ram air setup, Slp or other lid, bigger maf, bigger throttle body, Cutout, catback, U/d pulley. Easy weight reduction mods- Remove spare tire/jack-35lbs, passenger seat-32lbs, front sway bar-10lbs, bumper supports-25lbs.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

how much do YOU want to spend...
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the best first bolt on mod is headers and a lid. wakes the car up a ton
Old 09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
11 Second Club

Best bolt on, a lid !
Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah it really depends on your budget.

1. Buy a air lid. I bought a SLP. Doubt its gonna matter what brand you get. You can find them used for around $50-$60. I paid $99 shipped for mine new.
You could also cut the fins out of your stock lid and sand it till its smooth. Or I got a spare PM me if your interested.

2. P&P TB. Some like it some don't. If you put one on when you do the lid you should be able to tell you gained a little power.

3. Catback exhaust. Hooker, SLP LM, etc.. do a search on youtube for sound

4. Long tube headers and off road Y-pipe. American Racing, Kooks, and budget minded headers are BBK and Pacesetter. I bought BBK simply because I got them for $354 shipped. And maybe chrome will hold up longer than painted. Plus BBK installs seem to go pretty smooth on average. Ceramic coated headers are above painted or chrome though. Do a search on why ceramic coating is better.
If you plan on doing LT's make sure you remember that with LT's your exhaust is gonna be louder than it is with manifolds. I would suggest doing new motor mounts when you do LT's. I bought black prothanes for $50.

5. You have a 99 so you have a LS1 intake manifold. You could pick up a LS6 intake for around $300ish. Or you could buy a BBK. BBK is a little heavier than LS1/LS6 intake. Makes a little more power, but some say they are bad because the aluminum will heat soak and lose power.

6. Smooth bellows. This is a smoother than factory piece of rubber than connects from throttle body to MAF sensor. From what i've read its more of an appearance mod. Couple HP at best.

7. If your M6 you could get a short throw shifter. Automatic=stall.

8. Cam. do this after Long tube headers. Don't forget valve springs and pushrods. Maybe new lifters as well.

9. Mail order tune. This can get rid of pesky check engine lights from doing LT's. (long tube headers). Pick up a little more power as well. I am going to use frost. Never read anything bad about one of his tunes. If you get a cam you will more than likely need a dyno tune.

Here is what I did with my car. It had 148,xxx something miles on it when I bought it. I did a complete tune up on it. I replaced fuel filter, changed rear end oil. Changed transmission fluid, new coolant. etc.. I also did NGK TR 55 plugs and MSD 8.5mm wires. my car came with a Borla catback and a cutout already on it. So I cut the fins out of my stock lid, but then decided I wanted a real lid cause I think they look better. Then I bought a P&P TB. Did the free ram air mod and TB coolant bypass. Now I am doing LT's and a tune. As with most things in life it really just depends on how much money ya got. Hope this helps. Most of all search, search and read, and read more.

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 09-12-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

id do full exhaust first( longtubes, y pipe, catback ), fast 90/92 and a better lid/maf and a converter.. Like a 3200/3600 circle d
Old 09-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

theres a sticky for this, theres no such "best" bolt on mod