Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any horsepower gains with thyphoon intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any horsepower gains with thyphoon intake

Just wiondering how these perform.They advertise as good as an LS6.I like the looks and if I ever go to supercharger,nitrious or turbo its good to go with aluminum instead of plastic.Also do you have to use their fuel pressure regulator or no regulator at all some people say but I have a higher pressure fuel pump and 36 injectors.Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one before I switched to the BBK. I definitely loved the look of the intake and fitment was good. Some people say they are junk because of the earlier fitment issues but all that has been solved i believe. What made me switch was looking at PP dyno of the intake. Because of the runner design the intake did not really kick in till 5000+ rpms. Thats a downside for me because I shift at 6. I believe the intake would perform best on a head and cam 6 speed car. The bbk tested well. Fitment was excellent and uses the factory o-ring style gasket which is a plus. Overall a good intake just make sure it fits your goals.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Did you have a cam in your car when running this intake/Also was it worse before 5000 RPMs than your stock intake/Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

IDK I've heard good things.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

I ran their rails for about a month.... If their intake is anything like their rails, I wouldn't recommend it to my enemy.

And I did some research on this and found that the PP is only a proven performer on FI builds. Not really much for a run of the mil h/c car. Get a FAST.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 09-18-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm in for more info on this... Fast setups are retarded expensive for a piece of plastic.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

I was wondering about this intake myself. Looks like a good deal price wise.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by roninsonic
I'm in for more info on this... Fast setups are retarded expensive for a piece of plastic.
This is why the intake runs $200 more than a brand new LS6. Ever pay attention to the price of a NEW GMPD LS6 intake?? Not just the $300 used price? Starting to get tired of people complaining about the price of quality parts..... You get what you pay for. And there's a reason why you don't read much about people clamoring for the PP intake.

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/milli...mble-4708.html

Like I said... I ran their rails...... Fukin grade A ****... Garbage... farm cow pie... cheapest bidder... China child labor ****..

Last edited by bayer-z28; 09-18-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Im curious.What problems did you have with the rails and what did you pay for them and was they new or used?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had no trouble with my setup, it came with the old style gaskets which
were troublesome but PP sent me a set of the new style for free. I have no
dyno / track data since the swap, which is several years back. But it's a
nice big hole and it runs right and nothing leaks. I think I posted some stuff
about the install back in the day but you'd have to wade through a lot of
posts to find it now.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I ran their rails for about a month.... If their intake is anything like their rails, I wouldn't recommend it to my enemy.

And I did some research on this and found that the PP is only a proven performer on FI builds. Not really much for a run of the mil h/c car. Get a FAST.
I have their rails. Been running em for a almost a year. It's dumb to pay a lot for fuel rails. But maybe they made them better idk.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
This is why the intake runs $200 more than a brand new LS6. Ever pay attention to the price of a NEW GMPD LS6 intake?? Not just the $300 used price? Starting to get tired of people complaining about the price of quality parts..... You get what you pay for. And there's a reason why you don't read much about people clamoring for the PP intake.

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/milli...mble-4708.html

Like I said... I ran their rails...... Fukin grade A ****... Garbage... farm cow pie... cheapest bidder... China child labor ****..
I don't know why you're so hostile about PP. Please, if you had a bad experience with them, share it with us. From the few reviews I've found, PP seems like a decent company, and their manifold seems to be priced reasonably... If their parts are defective, let us know.

A ported 102 from FAST just doesn't fit into my budget right now. 1100-1400, and I'd still have to buy a throttle body? That's just too much money for me to spend on an intake.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't see how a FAST intake is out of reach these days, with the debit of the FAST 102, the FAST 90/92 have become available with TB for pretty cheap. i got my FAST 92/92 setup with 42lb injectors for $650 injectors sold for 250, old LS6 intake sold for 400. in the end, then intake was FREE!!!! so you just have to shop around and get yourself a good deal. never dealt with the other intake, but the FAST intake is a very good piece!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Ive got the 96mm Typhoon intake and let me tell you it's not a bad piece especially for the money.
I had no issues installing the intake, it sealed great. The only thing i dont like about the intake is the weight
difference compared to the ls6 and that the fuel rails are junk.
I've been debating on switching out the intake because im staying h/c and i dont plan on running boost or nitrous.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It all depends on if I can find a used FAST setup for a decent price... I don't have enough posts to place a WTB add yet. :*(
Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Teching In

I keep hearing the fuel rails are junk.Can you please tell us what was wrong with them
Old 09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 69cutlassrkt
I have their rails. Been running em for a almost a year. It's dumb to pay a lot for fuel rails. But maybe they made them better idk.
Don't cheap out when you can risk burning your car to the ground. IMO, it's dump to cheap out on rails. I regret doing it, but I fixed the problem back in the spring.

Originally Posted by cballweg
I keep hearing the fuel rails are junk.Can you please tell us what was wrong with them
Originally Posted by roninsonic
I don't know why you're so hostile about PP. Please, if you had a bad experience with them, share it with us. From the few reviews I've found, PP seems like a decent company, and their manifold seems to be priced reasonably... If their parts are defective, let us know.

A ported 102 from FAST just doesn't fit into my budget right now. 1100-1400, and I'd still have to buy a throttle body? That's just too much money for me to spend on an intake.
Wait till tax time. I was looking at the PP intake also. My research showed that the size of the TB opening does not depict how an intake will perform and it is not the main reason why an intake performs. There are a LOT of other factors that go into this besides just a big mouth. IIRC, the runners are too short.

Im curious.What problems did you have with the rails and what did you pay for them and was they new or used?
$110 from SpeedInc. I didn't want to bash a sponsor, but I bought their "House Budget Rails." So what did I expect? A budget set of SpeedInc (in house) built fuel rails. What did I get? A set of PP Rails that weren't even re-badged. They just took a couple fittings out, taped the box up and slapped a shipping label on it. They didn't even try to fool me by spending $5 to put them in a different box with different mounting instructions.. I've been burned by them before, but I have no idea why I went back.

I get the rails and the fittings are very cheap, the mounting tabs are cheaply made and the cross over line was rubber, not teflon. The wire braids weren't taped where they were cut, so they fraying when I got them. They came with cheap Phillips head pan head screws to hold them to the mounting tabs. The fittings and elbows weren't even a -6 or -8, it's an off size. NPT threads are a bitch to seal. I resealed them three times and I ordered the FAST set (all 4 points.) They STILL leaked. I used two types of thread sealant and I could NOT get them to stop leaking..

Don't cheap out when you can risk burning your car to the ground. Those rails bothered me from day one. I was SO paranoid of a fire to the point where I just stopped driving the car until I ordered the CORRECT set. Now I sleep fine. I am confident that the FAST rails will not leak. I also re-did all of my lines and connectors with quality pieces.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 09-19-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Thanks for your post.Just wanted to know what was wrong with them.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry for the rant, but it's a sore spot with me still.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for your post.Just wanted to know what was wrong with them.
Same here, man. Now that I know their quality is for ****, I'll be staying away and trying to pick up a FAST setup.

Speaking of... anybody got one for sale?