Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM1+ Longtubes+O/R Y SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get kooks true duals that will solve your problems
Old 09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Instead of replacing the entire ORY just get the magnaflow merge its like 28 bucks with free shipping from summit and any decent exhaust shop should be able to splice it into your current Y thus solving a good part of the rasp problem.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

I have priced out installing a merge into the Pacesetter Y. Its anywhere between $80 and $150 for labor and another $30 for the merge. I can get a TSP y pipe for $130 and be done.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch the LM1 resonator with a Magnaflow bullet..and a magnaflow merge ..sounds great!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by matt224
Do you have the Pacesetter ORY? If so, thats your problem. The Pacesetter ORY has such a terrible merge, pretty much anything will sound like garbage when mated to it.
What if it was an X pipe??
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car sounds like it's dead quiet with the pacesetter Y pipe on it,..when i got the car it came with stock manifolds and stock piping all the way back, except for the fact that i bought the car with no catalytic converters on (so straight y pipe), the muffler is some unknown it just looks stupid, but before i put the longtubes on it was "ehh" decent sounding and a little loud due to the fact that it had no cats and unknown muffler...then when i put the edelbrock longtubes and true duals it was mad loud, then put on a pacesetter Y to the unknown cat...and call me crazy but i think it sounded quieter than the stock setup the car came with...i'll try to get a sound clip up.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you set on having on Off Road Y-pipe? By that, I mean no cats?

If not, you could always pick up a Catted Aftermarket Y to mate the Longtubes to your LM1.

I have this on my Firebird and while it is definitely still loud, the cats dramatically reduce the Rasp. I like it a lot.

I know a Catted Y is much more expensive than an ORY, but this would keep you from having to purchase a different Catback, Resonator, or Bullet Muffler. And if you go with the Texas Speed Catted Y, you would also gain from its Flowmaster Style Merge.

Just something to consider. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Are you set on having on Off Road Y-pipe? By that, I mean no cats?

If not, you could always pick up a Catted Aftermarket Y to mate the Longtubes to your LM1.

I have this on my Firebird and while it is definitely still loud, the cats dramatically reduce the Rasp. I like it a lot.

I know a Catted Y is much more expensive than an ORY, but this would keep you from having to purchase a different Catback, Resonator, or Bullet Muffler. And if you go with the Texas Speed Catted Y, you would also gain from its Flowmaster Style Merge.

Just something to consider. Good luck.
I thought about cutting a cat off my MAC catted y-pipe and installing it in the I-pipe as well as a good bullet muff. I will have the QTP electric cutout before all of that. I am running out of room lol!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I had the same issue. thats why i went with catted Y and corsa

Quick Reply: LM1+ Longtubes+O/R Y SUCKS