Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

texas speed header fitment and install

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grim Crow
I know, i was putting a monetary value on your time and labor. Basically just to answer the question: Is it worth paying for more expensive headers versus doing a little extra work yourself? If you actually count time as money, then you can see that it is worth doing the extra work. For someone who doesn't have some extra time, or their time is worth alot more due to other commitments then it might be worth it to pay for the more expensive product rather then spending some DIY time.

On a side note:
TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ TSP y-pipe, locking bolts, gaskets= $620 (from TSP)
Kooks 1 7/8 headers w/ Kooks y-pipe, bolts, gaskets= $1171 (from maryland speed)

$550 dollar difference.
Got it! But don't forget about shipping from TSP (shipping was like $50 on the headers when I ordered mine in may 2010), Maryland speed ships for free. Like I stated above, If it wasn't for the kooks true duals, I'd still be running TSP headers, as for the TSP y-pipe....... well let's not get started on that, I guess your getting wait you pay for with that nightmare. I always suggest the TSP headers and a custom fabed y-pipe when ever someone PM's me asking about kooks vs tsp.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting on my new TSP 1-7/8 headers + TSP catted Y-pipe will see how that work.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Unless they did a design change my driver side was not going in without that motor mount loose and the engine tilted slightly. Or the mount completely out. My passenger side went in so easy if my wife wasn't holding it for me from the top it would fall down on my chest/face.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by got milk??
Unless they did a design change my driver side was not going in without that motor mount loose and the engine tilted slightly. Or the mount completely out.
Right now I have the drivers side M.M. completely out cause I'm doing the Poly mounts inserts,Should I stick the header first and then bolt up the M.M.?

What's the torque specs on the header bolts to the head?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BIGDRAGON
Right now I have the drivers side M.M. completely out cause I'm doing the Poly mounts inserts,Should I stick the header first and then bolt up the M.M.?
Great question, others may have a different method but what worked for me is getting the header up and a couple of the header bolts started. Do not tighten them just get them started so the header has some wiggle room. Then go back below insert the mount unit and get it started. Get all the bolts threaded to the block and then the pedistal. Do not tightin anything until all of the motor mount/ped bolts have been started and your sure the threads have caught and not crossed. Then torque everything down to spec. Go back up top and torque the header bolts to spec and go from there. Hope this was not confusing and answered your question.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Thanks Bro,what's the the torque specs on the header bolts?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Bro,what's the the torque specs on the header bolts?
the search bottom at the top of the page works great!!! but here are the torque specs:
first pass : 11 lb ft
second pass 18 lb ft

and here is a link for all your future torque spec questions.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

im glad to hear the headers are good , i wish they would go back to the drawing board on the y pipe and make an awesome ory with a nice merge and options on size.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heh.. i edited my previous post to reflex shipping prices and y-pipe differences.

@bigdragon, I tightened my bolts on first pass to 17lb and left it at that. Since they are locking bolts, i presume they don't need to stretch their threads as tight, just keep the gasket sealed. if you go with regular bolts (not locking) then yeah go with what the manual says (11 then 18lb). ALso yeah, put the headers in first. I was able to tighten the header down completely and not have of an issue putting the driver side motor mount back in. but it probably would be best to leave it loose just in case. For the driver side we took the bracket completely out. for the passenger side we just left the mounting brackets in and only took out the center piece (the one you replace with a prothane piece).
Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Going back to the install, I'm using Tsp true duals so I won't have to modify the torque arms or anything like that will I for it to fit properly?
Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Got my headers in today they look amazing,I haven't open the catted Y-pipe box yet, I'm working on the MM inserts first. I cannot believe I had to drain my new Castrol Synthetic oil it only has about 200 miles on it. I may not re-use it and replace it with Royal Purple. It seems I have my work cut out for the next few days,I see why they charge so much for the install.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna agree with Matt. I bought a set of used Kooks 1 7/8" for $550 while waiting for TSP to stock their new headers. I like them alot but wouldn't have paid full price for them over TSP's $500 stainless set. I paid to have the headers installed anyways as I feel that it's worth the price of having a professional install anything exhaust related.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody have any pictures of the headers installed with Tsp true duals
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
I paid to have the headers installed anyways as I feel that it's worth the price of having a professional install anything exhaust related.
I'm a ASE diesel tech. so for me to pay someone to do them is a shame,besides I try not to take short cuts and I always double check my work. With that being said is alot of work if you include doing the MM's poly inserts.

Speed inc. ruin my weekend install,they send me 2 - 12" 02 sensor extensions instead of a 1 - 24" and 1 - 12".

I have both headers in and both poly M.M. in what a real pain in the rear that was would not do that again for anyone. I had to grind a small section off the subframe it was too close for to the header on the drivers side,but it took me way too long time wise by myself.
Tomorrow I'll finish the rest of it.

All done except the catted Y-pipe from Texas speed it will not bolt on directly. The passenger side header and cat will not slide in too darn tight and the merger will not slide in to my factory exhaust pipe,even if it did is too long it has to be cut. Very upsetting I'm gonna have to rent a car hauler and take it a Muffler shop and let them cut,heat and weld. I did not want to spend extra $ on this mod but I have to now.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I'll keep that extra $400-500 in my pocket EVERY TIME, and spend the extra few minutes to remove the mount.
Kooks is better quality and fitment hands down better true duals too with great fitment and easy install
Old 10-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Well, I plan on going FI in the future, so the best header isn't what I'm looking for.

Anyone have those pics of the TSP header install?
Old 10-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Suzaku
Well, I plan on going FI in the future, so the best header isn't what I'm looking for.

Anyone have those pics of the TSP header install?
I saw some pics if you search,but let me tell you is a major pain to do my hands look like I got in a fight with cat and I got the worse of the deal.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

All done except the catted Y-pipe from Texas speed it will not bolt on directly. The passenger side header and cat will not slide in too darn tight and the merger will not slide in to my factory exhaust pipe,even if it did is too long it has to be cut. Very upsetting I'm gonna have to rent a car hauler and take it a Muffler shop and let them cut,heat and weld. I did not want to spend extra $ on this mod but I have to now.
The tsp y-pipe strikes again! They are going to tell you that you are not mechanically inclined enough to install their y-pipe. When in fact over 50% of the people who buy their y-pipe have the same problem. Fix your y-pipe already tsp!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Banned

Ya you have to have a phd to install that y pipe tsp

Quick Reply: texas speed header fitment and install