Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

texas speed header fitment and install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Upgrade your motor mounts and that won't be an issue
ok great, im getting ready to do polys anyways so thanks for the info!!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Hey guys had a question. Do the TSP long tubes come with AIR Or EGR ports? I'm in California and am trying to stay within smog regulations so I don't have to go changing everything every time I need a smog.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by my_99Z
Hey guys had a question. Do the TSP long tubes come with AIR Or EGR ports? I'm in California and am trying to stay within smog regulations so I don't have to go changing everything every time I need a smog.
They do not have AIR or EGR, but that's irrelevant since any long tube header will fail in California.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

I've heard of quite a few people being able to run LT headers and being fine with emissions in California. I bought a set of Used SLP headers but im not sure I'm going to like them because my car is lowered and I didn't look into that before I bought them. Tying to find something that will replace them and still have the AIR and EGR ports
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the GM part# for a new set of stock motor mounts. If I do replace them its gonna be with a new set of oem ones
Old 05-09-2012, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Just buy a set of replacements from your local parts store or online. I bought a set made by Anchor.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

hey guys so got the polys all done what a *****!!!! going to install the 1 7\8s tomorow, now i have the steering knuckle removed no way i was getting my old headers out without that being apart. i keep seing people say you have to undo driver motor mount and raise the motor. i will never touch those again LOL. i will sell my 1 7\8s and put the 1 3\4s back in if thats the case. but then i see people say they didnt have to touch the mounts. whats the deal?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 198 Posts

stop whining and do the poly mounts already........dont be a *****
Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
stop whining and do the poly mounts already........dont be a *****
me? i did the poly mounts finished them today. not looking to take them back out to do the 1 7\8s id rather put my 1 3\4 back on. it was an absolute nightmare. planning on doing a 408 build this winter so if thats the case ill just save the 1 7\8s for that time...
Old 05-20-2012, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

I didn't have to touch my steering knuckle, and I didn't have to remove drivers mount, or raise motor.

These are the easiest set of headers I've ever installed. I have no idea why some people are having all sorts of problems.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Stippy17
I didn't have to touch my steering knuckle, and I didn't have to remove drivers mount, or raise motor.

These are the easiest set of headers I've ever installed. I have no idea why some people are having all sorts of problems.
those are words of encouragemnt lol, i will be starting them in about an hour. when removing the 1 3\4 i only had to remove the steering knuckle, the car is so high in the air they can slide up and in vertically which is the easiest way to do them.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stippy17

Every car is alittle different, my passenger side went in smoothe. Driver side had to have everything come out before they wanted to go in. I didn't do my install with oem motor mounts, so maybe because the polys are slightly larger the other stuff has to be moved. Who knows I would just be prepared for a nightmare and then when its easy you can get to sooner!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by got milk??
Every car is alittle different, my passenger side went in smoothe. Driver side had to have everything come out before they wanted to go in. I didn't do my install with oem motor mounts, so maybe because the polys are slightly larger the other stuff has to be moved. Who knows I would just be prepared for a nightmare and then when its easy you can get to sooner!
did you have the car high enough in the air? i think thats a lot of peoples problems. if its high enough, you should be able to sldie the headers in straight up in. well im about to find out off to work on them ill post back later with results!!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Had it as high as I could get on 6 ton jack stands. On my install it wasn't about sliding the headers strait up, it was one of the header tubes making contact with my motor mount. I removed pacesetters during the install and those litterally fell off when the last bolt was gone. The driver side slid right out! and would go back in, I could install those all day long without removeing anything additional. My driver side TSP 17/8s were slightly different. One of the tubes was routed different than the Pacesetters and thats what made it a PITA. I hope your install goes smoothe like the other person posted, I really do because like you I aleady had my poly mounts installed and had to remove the driver side to get these larger headers on and then wrestle the motor back on the mount!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by got milk??
Had it as high as I could get on 6 ton jack stands. On my install it wasn't about sliding the headers strait up, it was one of the header tubes making contact with my motor mount. I removed pacesetters during the install and those litterally fell off when the last bolt was gone. The driver side slid right out! and would go back in, I could install those all day long without removeing anything additional. My driver side TSP 17/8s were slightly different. One of the tubes was routed different than the Pacesetters and thats what made it a PITA. I hope your install goes smoothe like the other person posted, I really do because like you I aleady had my poly mounts installed and had to remove the driver side to get these larger headers on and then wrestle the motor back on the mount!
well i hate to say it but you were right. i couldnt get the driver side in without removing the mount. the pass side went in like cake. so i just ended up putting my PC 1 3\4 back on. i will save the tsp 1 7\8s for this winter if i do my 408 build or i iwill sell them i dont know yet but i was very pissed off lol. i didnt want to deal with the mount again either. but got all new gm header gaskets and gm header bolts with the msd wires on. also had to replace my driver side coolant temp sensor as i broke the plastic plug off it somehow during the install. also driained all my oil and filter that had about 1000 miles on it to get the 1 7\8 header in to find out it still wasnt going to go in, so just another kick in the nuts. drove it down the street to a friends garage with open headers to start doing the 3 inch duals with x pipe thru my tunnel brace which is going to suck ***** to find out that he had nomore wire left in his mig machine. at that point i was so pissed off i said **** this and took the car back home and parked it. next weekend we will get the exahust done i hope.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got mine all buttoned up today TSP 1 7/8" SS headers, TSP SS Y-pipe with FM 3">4" merge, single custom 4" exhuast with a Hooker Maxflow dumped (similar to the mufflex). I am very happy with the setup.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
Just got mine all buttoned up today TSP 1 7/8" SS headers, TSP SS Y-pipe with FM 3">4" merge, single custom 4" exhuast with a Hooker Maxflow dumped (similar to the mufflex). I am very happy with the setup.
way to rub it in reallllyy nicccee...haha jk man, thats great. guess i will have to wait for the 1 7\8s to be installed.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to bang up on the floor boards on drivers side to get it in, yes I had it on a lift..steering knuckle removed as well.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Yup did mine on a lift. My pacesetters slid right out, and after I replaced my motor mounts with OEM mounts (driver mount was ripped) the new TSPs slid right in. Didn't have to remove anything special except for the drain plug, filter, and plugs/wires.

Wasn't hard, and I'd do it again for a buddy if they asked me to help.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

so it seems to be the difference in having stock mounts or the poly mounts, when getting these headers to fit. i really didnt think they were that much different in size? live and you learn i guess, i will know next time. hopefully this winter i will be doing a tubular k arm anyways and possibly going more cubes so i will have everything pulled again anyways

Quick Reply: texas speed header fitment and install