Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackwing Lid Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackwing Lid Question

Hi, I just picked up a used slp Blackwing Lid for my 01' WS6. Does anyone know if it is supposed to have the weather stripping on the underside where it seals up to the filter???? I did a search and have seen pictures of them with and without the weather stripping on them. I know that the aftermarket SLP lids come with the weather stripping but not sure if the Blackwing Lid is supposed to have it or not. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what you're talking about is included when you buy a filter (like a K&N or other performance filter).
Old 10-17-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my Blackwing lid brand new from SLP and it did not come with any weather stripping.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by dlft600
Hi, I just picked up a used slp Blackwing Lid for my 01' WS6. Does anyone know if it is supposed to have the weather stripping on the underside where it seals up to the filter???? I did a search and have seen pictures of them with and without the weather stripping on them. I know that the aftermarket SLP lids come with the weather stripping but not sure if the Blackwing Lid is supposed to have it or not. Thanks.
Where did you find it and how much if you dont me asking?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

My Brother has one on his 02 ws6 with K&N Filter no issues for 2 years with out k&n gasket/foam deal. I put it on for him due to to his lack of wrench turning ability
Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately the K&N filter's rubber sealing surface is thinner than the non disposable variety. Sure the lid fits nicely, or so it would seem, but at the rear of the lid (motor side) unfiltered air will be drawn into the intake tract. I wondered why there was some debris on my MAF screen when the K&N filter was clean. Well it was the lack of a good seal at the rear of the lid that was the culprit. This has nothing to do with the lid, it is an issue when using the K&N filter, or any other that has a thinner rubber seal. The gasket and instructions were provided with the filter for a reason. I believe the same p/n fits Jeep as well, so the gasket is for our application.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I bought my Blackwing lid brand new from SLP and it did not come with any weather stripping.
Thanks. That answers my question.

I have the amsoil air filter so I don't think I'll be needing the weather stripping. Sounds like it's the K&N filter that needs it.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No weather-stripping... the square bead around the edge of the filter (paper filter) seals the lid and filter to the air box.