Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: Anniversary gift from my AWESOME wife, w/ help from TSP & Ed Curtis!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Today's accomplishments:

Catback, Y, cats, dipstick tube, and manifolds are off. 7 of the 8 motor mount pedestal bolts are free. One is completely seized.... Haven't tried passenger side mount yet.
Removed alternator. Cleaned heads on exhaust port side.

Tomorrow, plan to finish motor mounts, or at least get passenger side in, get car even higher on already maxed jack stands and hopefully get headers in.

Then it's off to Pep Boys for more stainless band clamps and get the Y in. Along with new O2 sensors.

Drop off the merge at welding shop to get the smaller piece cut off and make it a full 3", and expand the I pipe from the catback.

At this rate, I'll be happy to see half of this list done by COB tomorrow....
Old 11-14-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Looks like were about even in our install, except I just have one more f'ing pedestal to take out then the install is on!

Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I pray the LS Gods smile upon thee, and let me be the only one with thy stucketh bolt.

Issues so far? Any?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you tried heating it? The block near the bolt, not the bolt itself.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 PM
The Scammer Hammer

All the profanity in the general vicinity should have don't that... LOL.

No, thats a plan for tomorrow though. I have a few other ideas as well. When I got to the point that I wanted to light the car on fire, I figured it best to take a shower, clean up and have some Coors Light time. I work like **** when I'm that pissed, and I really want this to be fun.

I know that sounds stupid as hell, but I don't want shitty memories, lol. I want to have fun. Leaving skin in various places is just part of the ride!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear ya man, sometimes it's best to just walk away for a while...good luck!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:52 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Well, no real progress today. I needed an additional 2 jack stands, so I told the wife I needed to go to Sears... She decided she wanted to tag along, and we all know Sears is located at the mall.....

Oh well. For what she did for me, I'll be her shopping partner forever. Lol!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its on of the bolts for the motor mount into the side of the blocks that stuck? they ones with the little stud for the heat shield?

How long of a wrench do you have on it? Not to sound dumb, make sure your going the right way. it can get weird when your working under the car backhand and such.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Oh well. For what she did for me, I'll be her shopping partner forever. Lol!
Feel the pain brother....my new plate....

Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I work like **** when I'm that pissed, and I really want this to be fun.

I know that sounds stupid as hell, but I don't want shitty memories, lol. I want to have fun. Leaving skin in various places is just part of the ride!
I am the exact same way! I also learned to come in LONG before the wife and kids go to bed; makes for an enjoyable marriage.

Have you tried soaking it in PB blaster. That stuff is the ****!

Originally Posted by silversrtman
I hear ya man, sometimes it's best to just walk away for a while...good luck!
AMEN!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by studderin
Its on of the bolts for the motor mount into the side of the blocks that stuck? they ones with the little stud for the heat shield?

How long of a wrench do you have on it? Not to sound dumb, make sure your going the right way. it can get weird when your working under the car backhand and such.
Yeah those f'ers can be a bitch!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Awesome day thus far!

Finally got that damned bolt out! Lots of Aero Croil, a little (gentle) hammering of the clam shell to wiggle it, and it finally came free.

Almost had a panic attack when I went to test fit the spohn solid motor mount. I almost thought I'd have to drop the k. NOT the case. Just had to bring the motor up more, about 3 full pumps with the jack.

Solid mount went RIGHT IN!! I guess the gods smiled on me b/c of all the hell I've gotten the past few days.

Test fit the drivers header. Slid right in no problems.

I sure as hell hope the passenger side is easier.

I'm thinking I'll have to drop the starter though....

It's Coors time!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice man, yeah most likely will have to drop the starter but it's really easy...2 bolts from what I remember
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Coors time ran a bit later than it should've.....

Passenger motor mount took a bit longer to install; about a half hour. Luckily my jack was perfectly centered so everything was balanced and I could wiggle the motor as I needed.

Starter didn't have to come out.

One issue thus far, well, two:

Had to grind just a bit on the aft (rear) drivers k member. Only about a 1/4 inch. Not bad at all.

Number two sucks though. Maybe it's bc of the spohn's, but my driver collector only has about 1/8" from the floor pan. I'm guessing it's because of the motor mounts, but it's impossible to mount the first section of the Y.

I'll have to Clearence the floor pan, or install the header with that first section of drivers side Y already clamped.

Back to Coors time.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

A few questions since I'm pretty much in the same boat:

1) what’s your dimension from the bottom of your K member to the ground?
(asking to see if mine is high enough up)

2) Between the o/e mounts w/pedestal and pedestal w/spohn solid mounts are they the same height or are the solids taller? asking this in regards to your second issue, non solid mts should collapse some giving more clearance from the floor board...I hope... :O

3) of the two motor mounts which would you consider easier; driver or passenger?

4) wondering why you went w/solids mounts and not polys?

You have good taste in beer too my brother, cant go wrong with the Silver Bullets!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:06 PM
The Scammer Hammer

1) 17 1/2"

2) The Spohn solids are a mount and pedestal all in itself. Think of a tube with plates on both ends. It actually raised my whole motor about 3/4" I'd say. There's definitely more room between the oil pan and K.

3) I started on the drivers side figuring why not get the hardest **** out of the way first.
(Everyone laugh here-- once I stopped being stubborn and took the 18mm motor mount bolt out, and removed the pedestal first, life was easier.)

I was trying to cut a corner and take it all out at once and it simply wasn't going to happen.

3.5) The passenger was easier. There's more room to work. The drivers side went smoother once I dropped the alternator. I fucked around for a while yesterday and was simply too aggrevatted to continue once I found this out. A CORDLESS IMPACT IS YOUR FRIEND (18v DeWalt)

4) Personal choice, I guess. I live in Louisiana and already went a summer w/o AC, and honestly didn't find it to be TOO bad. A little vibration doesn't bother me.

I think of it this way- It's a pony car. Im no creature of comfort and never really have been. I want the car to shake, vibrate, and be loud.

In the end, it's up to you. I know I'll never wear out another MM though, poly or otherwise, lol.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Cajun, of you need anything, text me @ 337-five zero one-6573 and I'll help you all I can.

I'm grilling at the moment, and will post today's progress in a bit.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Cajun, of you need anything, text me @ 337-five zero one-6573 and I'll help you all I can.

I'm grilling at the moment, and will post today's progress in a bit.
Cool bro thanks, very nice of you...but I'm fighting a cold and between this hot/cold climate of ours plus the fact that my grundy cc insurance lapsed due to my grandson tearing up my bill, my car will be parked for at least a week before it can hit the street and I am off for the bird holidays starting this friday, so I will have plenty of time and I am in no rush to finish.

Who Knows; May even stick my cam in thats been sitting for at least a year in my closet...

One question about that alternator removal; got the two fronts bolts out and the back one loosened, worried about the wires (big and esp the lil one) whats the secret to them?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 PM
The Scammer Hammer

I had a regular clip near the top, reached it while trying to get a bottom motor mount bolt, and I believe a 10mm(?) bolt on the rear holding a wire with its ring.

I only had 2 I believe....
Old 11-17-2011, 06:04 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I had a regular clip near the top, reached it while trying to get a bottom motor mount bolt, and I believe a 10mm(?) bolt on the rear holding a wire with its ring.

I only had 2 I believe....
Cool, thanks... post some pics when you can, keep on rolling bro...

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Anniversary gift from my AWESOME wife, w/ help from TSP & Ed Curtis!!