Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Carb LS1 setup made 40 hp over LS6

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the reason an aftermarket box is needed with this to control spark? For some reason I don't understand what the intake has to do with spark control.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
What is the reason an aftermarket box is needed with this to control spark? For some reason I don't understand what the intake has to do with spark control.
It makes it so you dont need a PCM at all.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
It makes it so you dont need a PCM at all.
Ok, that makes sense.

I've had a carb before and think I'll let the PCM take care of fueling on my cars from now on.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I read in the July popular hotrodding that FAST is making an ignition system that will work without a distributor.They put F.I. on a 454 Motown smallblock with the FAST system to control the fuel curve and they showed a system to control the ignition also,they mentioned it would work on the LS1 as well,sounded interesting for the carburator set-up.I"m building a race-only LS1 with a carb and am wanting to use the MSD set-up but don"t know if it will be available alone from the Edelbrock manifold!!Keep this subject going!!
Old 06-22-2004, 01:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 66ImpalaLT1
Is there any credible evidence that a carb will make more peak power? In any engine?

1320 is absolutely right, if you've never had a carb before. DO NOT consider this.
Due to the wet manifold design of carburation, there is better fuel distribution at higher RPMs(where I would hope my power peak is) than with a direct port system. The difference between the two isn't much, but when every horse counts. But beyond that, carburator manifolds tend to have a better design than EFI manifolds do. For example, the LS1 intake isn't really a gem even thought it's refered to as being "quite good". Like on Ryan's car, there's power to be made with a more traditional manifold design.

Because fuel in a wet manifold tends to pool or run on the sides of the manifold at lower port velocities it will make less low end power. Which is why EFI is the king of daily driving.

If you want to compare a perfectly non restricted carburated intake versus a perfectly non restricted EFI intake, neither will make any more peak horsepower than the other.

Again, carburation is only a budget idea when if and only when it makes sense. I've driven a carburated car everyday for the past 5 years. I don't mind it at all.

I've been rambling for a bit now, sorry for that. I'm done.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Does anyone know when this is going to be released? I've made a few calls and no one knows.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, I can buy a longblock and just by the carb setup, and Im good to go, as far as fuel delivery?

Last edited by Just Floor It; 06-24-2004 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Default carb intake

just found the edelbrock intake and timing set up for the gen3 motors at pace parts for 669.95 dollors,they say it has 3 timing curves one for a stock cam, one for a edelbrock .510lift 220/224 , and one for for edelbrock .540 lift and 230/237 i hope this helps ronc
Old 06-30-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am really curious about all of this - I think there will be more HP to have with a carb - only because you might be able to go more radical with head/cam cars... am I wrong in thinnking that? I am also looking for a 1970-73 Camaro to do an LS1 swap - this would actually be the PERFECT set up... that is the ONLY reason I am considering this.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to compare a perfectly non restricted carburated intake versus a perfectly non restricted EFI intake, neither will make any more peak horsepower than the other.
I have seen dynos of the same intake fitted with both injectors and a carb.
The carb made a little more power. Why? the theory is because a carb does something efi does not.
It emulsifies the fuel. That is it premixes air with the fuel and that helps power.
But that is a high rpm max effort type of comparison.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbs arent that hard to work with and with a little basic understanding a carburated car will drive just fine - heck they only worked on cars for ~100 years

Mileage will go down, emissions will go up and then you have to deal with fun things like holley needle and seats leaking, flooding the car (pump a holley a couple times with big accelerator pumps and see what happens when its hot), chokes on a street car can be a lot of fun in cold weather. These cars start/run/drive so nice its almost scary and the thought of fooling with a leaky holley carb just doesnt appeal to much anymore, even if it was worth 20rwhp.

The only market for this IMO is engine swaps/street rod stuff. Its nice to have nothing but spark control and a carb, its simple and works. Converting a 98-up f-body street car to this would be a giant step backwards unless you are building a max effort race car IMO If you are going to that a custom sheet metal intake would be more in order then a dual plane. The GMPP single plane look ok but I havent seen any results but I remember someone here with one on their car with a TBI.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I can't wait to get mine!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:01 AM
Teching In

I'm looking forward to swapping a carbed LS1 into my 85 Camaro sometime within the coming year.
Since mine's already carbed, the carb intake will make the swap simpler because the LS1 engine will bolt up to my existing trans and use the existing linkage as well.
In fact... I'm considering using a belt drive HEI dist, and omitting the MSD electrical box. That way I'll be dealing with fuel/air, ignition system components that I'm already familiar with. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it tho.
Right now I have a car that's got all sorts of mods done to it, and some high school girl who doesn't know how to change a tire can come along and beat me driving her moms new F body or Mustang.
A guy can only take so much of that!

I'm looking forward to hearing more on this topic in coming months.

1st post BTW. Thanks for this great site, I've learned a lot just browsing.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome BeeKay,yes you will learn a lot on this site,very informative.I "m very interested in the ls1 carb set-up too.So far 2 intakes are available the Edelbrock and the WAR from GMPP. Edelbbrock is dualplane and GM is singleplane,Edelbrock comes with the MSD made ignition system as package deal.If you go with the GM intake you can get ignition system from Holley as they make a system that will work with the ls1 cranktrigger.The ls1 is an awsome motor and hp parts are coming more affordable and being produced by more manufacturers.You might want to buy a 98 f-body with the ls1 in as they a not that expensive,check the auto for sale section on this site some good deals!Good luck!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0409phr_gmpp/
Old 07-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

I am very interested in the GMPP intake, you probably dont want to hear what I will be putting an LS1 into but...i'll tell you anyway. I want to install an LS1 in my 92 LX hatch I will be building the car for drag racing but i'll drive it on the street. Keep us posted on when MSD is gonna make this ignition kit available by itself. I'm wondering if you use it with lets say a big solid roller cam, big cubes, and lotsa compression will you have more than just 3 different timing curves?

Rich
Old 07-29-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Sept. 2004 POPULAR HOTRODDING has a 7 page write up of the GMPP single plane with a 750 MIGHTY Demon carb, with 1 3/4 Hooker LT and the hotcam IT MADE 503 HP AT 6600RPM. Torque was 449 at 5000 rpm,stayed over 415 from 3000 to 6000. The MSD comes with 6 different ingnition timing curves much like their AL6 rev.limiter proms,they plug in.This was Flywheel HP. Also had ls6 BLUE springs,everthing else stock. The hp was almost identical with the ls6 intake when tested with the stock ls1 cam,as with singleplane and carb, like 429?Made 404hp at 4800 with carb and Hotcam and headers.GOOD write up!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

acually, you wouldnt need the MSD ignition when converting a LS1 car to carburator. you can just us the factory PCM to control the spark and just unplug all the injectors, TPS, IAC, MAF, and tape up the harness. you could still hook the MAP to the carburator if you want. of coarse you will want LS1 edit to remove all the codes you will get and control the spark vs rpm, but it will work fine.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

The article I saw in super chevy (i think, i'll confirm when i get home from "work") gave dyno results. It was a little unclear as to what they actually changed between their efi and carb runs, but the carb run gave a really even dead straight power and torque curve. Peak to me didn't seem that impressive over their stock pulls. For my '00 t/a i just can't see getting back to the basics benefitting me more than an lsx and chipping it (or the likes). Now if i can prod my dad into an older car...... different story.

FWIW the testing was all about edelbrocks manifold, not gmpps. and at redline the efi setup actually made more power. I'll try to get a scan in and try to decipher what they actually changed for the comparison.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead.

I am converting my CETA after I get my motor back from the machine shop. I need info from the guys that have done this. Mainly how did you run the fuel system? Any info you have I NEED.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New Carb LS1 setup made 40 hp over LS6