Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get some opinions on a serious problem!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get some opinions on a serious problem!

Every LS1 owner is probably somewhat familiar or have experienced the wonderful starter boss/mount that cracks off the block..(myself being one )

anyways...i had a idea...today i talked to a man who i would honestly say is an LS genius..owner of race proven motorsports in wilmington, de..we talked about this situation and possible fixes...since i dont have the cracked piece, the situation has turned south.

I told him an idea of finding a junked LS1 block and cutting a section of the starter boss/mount off that block and then on my block cutting the boss/mount so the one off the junked can fit and be welded.

Now he seems to think it wouldn't hold for long and i do believe him but i like to hear some other opinions too..Unfortunately i do not have the money for a new block or whole new crate motor..so if i cant get this fixed in some sort that will work, i might have to sell it and i DO NOT WANT TO DO THAT.

That all being said....Whats your opinions?? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Really the only thing you could do is try what you've all ready mentioned. A friend of mine had a starter kick back on a sbc and he welded it back and its still in use today. Honestly I think it would almost be impossible to get everything back lined up perfectly without having the old piece but I guess you could give it a shot. And I've never heard of this happeneing on LS1s was it just something that happened or did something cause it to break? I wish you the best.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

google..ls1 starter motor problems.....they'll come up..actually heres the link to my thread when it first happened...https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ious-help.html scroll down some...theres a picture of what it looks like
Old 11-14-2011, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Dang, I hate that it happened to you. If you can get everything lined up i think a person could weld it back. I've broke a few starter noses on my Pontiac 400 from the timing being turned to high. You must have luck like me if it can happen it will. I would find a block like you said and cut as much around the area you need as possible and then trim it as need until you put the puzzle back together and have someone weld it up. IMO it'll hold just make sure you get a good welder to do it. Good Luck
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read about this, but never experienced it. How much meat is behind the break? Could you drill, tap, and install a stud there? Just dont f up the measurement.