Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how bad of an idea is this? or genius?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how bad of an idea is this? or genius?

Putting the camaro away so i want to tweak the intake system. I have the slp lid, but i think the ram air is sub par. Im thinking about adding my own system to the slp lid. Hear me out here.... redneck idea from a city slicker. I want to remove my intake hose and replace it with an 'x' tube coupling. From the other two sides of the x i want to run coupler tubes down to the bottom of the car. There i will latch and attach to the pipes, two intake valence. Im thinking 1 inch height by at least 6 inch width. Brainstorming on the filter system for this. Will this throw my maf out of whack? Would it harm my engine? I dont want to do anything to wear or tear on the car. If thats too much air, would a y pipe with only an extra k and n filter be okay? If this is feasible ill do a full write up
Old 12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

May be the laughing stock of ls1tech soon! What else could i do to improve the intake? Its an 02 already have ls6. Is getting a new maf amd tb worth it? The gains seem minimal...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not going to work the way you want it to. With (3) different sources of air all merging together there will be pressure/velocity drop across the board, bad idea. If you want to improve your ram air system, get the CHRS1313 ram air kit, best on the market and proven gains at the track.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

How about just an extra k and n filter from the side?
Any useful info on aftermarket mafs and tbs?
Ive already read the stickies
Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

You should really work on getting the max amount of air from one place to your tb instead of trying to have more than one entrance why not just improve your one?
Old 12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

I wanted to add a k and n for a cai on top of the ram air, which i hears is effective at higher speeds
Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No.. you want (1) single source, (1) air filter.

It seems from your posts that your car isn't very modified yet so I'd steer away from Maf/tb's for now.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

I have a cat back, tune, lid, gears, shift kit
Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your idea wouldn't work very well... seems like it would create a lot of turbulence at the merge. I say listen to dj
Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can only cram so much air in there, the restriction will be somewhere else down the line.

For one, all this air has to go through the throttle body and then intake manifold. So regardless of how much air you suck in from 3 pipes, you still have to cram it down the same path as before. So it won't make much of a difference if you bring in all this extra air when it all gets bottlenecked by the same restriction. Heck, you can bring in 17 different intake tubes from all over the car, it still all has to go through the throttle body...which if you don't increase well you haven't done squat.

Also, all this air has to go through the same engine and exhaust. So if you don't open up those, you won't make a difference by adding all this extra air if the engine cannot use it. Free up other points of induction (tb, intake manifold, heads, cam) and other points of exhaustion (headers) before all this extra air coming in will actually make a difference.

So until you can make USE of all this extra air that you plan on bringing in, any more than what you have now is useless. A single 104 lid flows more than enough air for the 78mm throttle body and LS6 manifold, so anymore air coming in will be a waste and not be able to be used. Also, the engine already flows more air than the stock manifolds can expel, so until you free up that restriction any extra air that you bring in is useless.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Would removing my lid and adding a cai make any differences?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you redtan. I think my path should be a tb and a bellow ill fabricate. Any recommendations for a great tb?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Also i have the ls6 intake
Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Godspeed Ls1 Ls2 Ls6 Performance 102mm Cnc Intake Throttle Body

Is that tb any good? Highest mm i could find
Old 12-06-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WindyCitySuperSport

That throttle body is OVERKILL for the LS6 intake, especially if you're on stock heads/cam.

Just port the stock one.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Again, you're only fixing one of the bottlenecks, not all of them. And biggest mm is not always better.

You're going to put a 102mm throttle body on a 78mm intake manifold opening? What's the point in that? Where's the gain to be had if you still have to cram air in a smaller opening.

If you're really obsessed with air in, then get a 104mm lid, 102mm throttle body with a 102mm fast intake. That matches, not a big intake tube with small throttle body/manifold. Not big intake tube with bit throttle body with small manifold.

The problem here is you're going about modding your car at the wrong pace. Concentrate on areas that are holding back your car the most, then finish it all off with some small mods like 102 tb and that. Or do it all at once, but throwing random big parts in an otherwise stock setup is not going to net you anything.

So unless you go with a bigger intake manifold, stick with the stock throttle body and concentrate on other areas, like headers maybe, or a cam.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't ditch the lid.

LT1 guys (that use traditional "CAI" that you're thinking of with it off to the side in the fenderwell) change to lid setups, because its better.

Search for the chris1313 ram air kit as suggested, and you can cut open the bottom of the airbox for more air.

The lid setup is actually pretty damn good on these cars, short and straight intake path, also remember that these cars are more "bottom feeders" with how they breath, not as much through the front opening under the lid.

IMO, any aftermarket lid is fine, then remove the baffles to a straight shot through the MAF (stock is plenty) port the stock TB, and keep your LS6 intake and you're already ahead of the game.

I wouldn't spend big money on a 100mm+ setup yet, maybe after you do heads/cam.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Slow down. Do a search for RAM air in this section. Read all that you can & then decide what is best for you. Pay close attention to threads that contain measured information. For example: when the poster includes information such as track results, dyno results, MAF &/or MAP results.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a cat back, tune, lid, gears, shift kit
I think you would get better "value" by adding long tube headers vs messing with your lid.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

If you don't have an engineering background other ideas might "sound" like improvements but they won't be. lids have been time tested to be the best intake form on these cars. Although there are some K&N style systems out there that perform well they perform just as well as a lid. Just because its simple does not mean its not effective

But like someone else said there is only so much air a stock engine can take it. You could take the whole intake off and its still only going to take as much as the car will process. Only way to force air into an engine is with forced induction and if you force too much your going to break something.