Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tsp stainless vs. Bbk on install and fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nastyiroc
So will I lose too much with a bbk?
No, most people don't realize that the 3" y-pipe merger exit on any f-body Y-pipe is your first flow restriction, even on the bbk y-pipe w/2.5" tubes. If you want to maximize your hp/tq with the bbk y-pipe then replace the y-merger with a Vibrant 2.5" inlet/3.5"-4" exit. This merger fits perfect on the bbk y-pipe and give a noticeable bump in power. If you're under 500hp the 2.5" pipes on the bbk y-pipe aren't a issue.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya the car is bone stock as of right now besides an SLP lid and smooth bellow..... I can't see too much more being done in the future to the car but just want to do the header install once and be done and get a good quality piece that flows better for my money...
Old 12-25-2011, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya the car is bone stock as of right now besides an SLP lid and smooth bellow..... I can't see too much more being done in the future to the car but just want to do the header install once and be done and get a good quality piece that flows better for my money...
For your needs Id recommend any 1 3/4" stainless steel headers then. I bought my car with 46k and it had 1 3/4" Pacesetters that are rusting pretty bad. Needless to say the previous owner took great care of the car, and so have I, so for headers to be less than 4 years old and look the way mine do Ill be replacing them with stainless and never looking back.

You car has minimal mods, and like you stated you dont have too much planned for the car in the future. My car is already a h/c/i LS1 and within the next 3-5 years will be a h/c/i LS2, so buying TSP's 1 7/8" now will free some hp but in the future will shine even more. Just my .02
Old 12-25-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My whole issue is FITMENT, if the TSP fit perfect once installed without any clearance issues then I would run them. And also I want the install to go smooth....
Old 12-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

Ya the car is bone stock as of right now besides an SLP lid and smooth bellow ...
Whatever headers you end up going with, by all means get a good 3" catback on the car. There was a thread in the General LSX forum where a guy cut open the stock muffler. You wouldn't believe the restrictions in there. Easy to see how a good flowing catback would give you 10hp.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

IMHO, if 10 members on this forum were given the same exact car and the same exact headers, I doubt very few would have the same exact install experience. And that comes from reading these threads. Every one has a different idea of what they think is the best...
Old 12-25-2011, 06:31 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

^^Exactly^^

What's easy to some, could be tedious to others.

I'll tell you this though, I've had my TSP headers installed the better part of over a month now, with over 3 thousand miles, and haven't had a vibration or melted wire or anything yet.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DOG-TWO
Unless he is making some serious hp then I doubt the 1 7/8 primaries with 3 inch Y will make a difference.
How much horsepower is the cutoff where 1 7/8 make more power?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There really isnt any fine cutoff, technically 1 7/8 header make more even on a stock motor but its only about 7hp naturally that number will increease with engine size though. To the op my BBK's literally fell in. I have installed KOOKS, PACESETTERS, AND GROATS. My bbks were by far the easiest.

1. the kooks needed the steering knuckle taken off, oil plug off and a tad bit of grinding on the k member.

2. the pacesetters needed the steering knuckle off, oil filter and plug off, the block tab cut and the k member grounded.

3.the Grots just needed the knuckle and k member ground down a bit.

4.TSP 1 7/8 I have never installed these but everyone i have seen has had to undo the motor mounts and jack the engine to one side to get them to fit.

My bbk's needed NOTHING, I left the steering knuckle in place, the oil plug in place, and never touched any part of the k member, they just slid right up and have been on the car now over 2 yrs and still dont really have any rust on them (mine are chrome finished). All the headers I have posted have good clearance once installed I would rank the bbk's and the kooks as the best but the bbks were def the easiest to instal;.

I understand your worry about the y pipe. But again think about what we are all saying if you are a stock car or lightly modded the ls1 cannot physically pump enough air to make the 3" y necessary. I mean if your catback is 3" and its only 1 pipe what good is stuffing two other 3" pipes into it going to do? The two 2.5" pipes going into the 3" catback is more than adequate. People who dyno their bbk headers get right around 25whp with a tune which is the same as other header brands.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:03 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Back on topic; I'm going to have to agree with redbird on this. For what you're looking for, per your thead title, as far as fit an install go, BBK's are probably your best bet. I've yet to see ANYONE have any issue yet.

One point I want you to keep in mind though-

I think at one point we've ALL said, "Yeah, it's just a minor bolt-on car that will never be anything else...." and before you know it you're back to scouring the classifieds for a good deal on another part. Power is addicting. Headers are a mod you WILL feel.

Final thought though. As far as saying what's the point of 2 3" pipes merging into one 3"....
You have to remember that one 3" pipe, or 2.5" is only seeing one bank of the engine. One side. Yeah, it's merging into a single 3" catback, but there's no "slamming" of anything together if your merge is worth a ****, as the TSP is, and as far as I've seen, the BBK is as well. It's all going to a 3" catback, but it isn't like you're maxing out both legs o the y pipe and tryin to cram it into a single 3" I pipe.

A 3" y will give you room to grow however.

OP, there's a lot of opinion in this thread, but the good news is there is also a lot of first hand experience. In the end, you've got to deduce what YOU want and what YOUR goals are.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed bbk on mine this weekend, it went in so smooth, and it only took me a few hours. Everything went in without a problem. I definitely recommend them.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redbird555
There really isnt any fine cutoff, technically 1 7/8 header make more even on a stock motor but its only about 7hp naturally that number will increease with engine size though. To the op my BBK's literally fell in. I have installed KOOKS, PACESETTERS, AND GROATS. My bbks were by far the easiest.

1. the kooks needed the steering knuckle taken off, oil plug off and a tad bit of grinding on the k member.

2. the pacesetters needed the steering knuckle off, oil filter and plug off, the block tab cut and the k member grounded.

3.the Grots just needed the knuckle and k member ground down a bit.

4.TSP 1 7/8 I have never installed these but everyone i have seen has had to undo the motor mounts and jack the engine to one side to get them to fit.

My bbk's needed NOTHING, I left the steering knuckle in place, the oil plug in place, and never touched any part of the k member, they just slid right up and have been on the car now over 2 yrs and still dont really have any rust on them (mine are chrome finished). All the headers I have posted have good clearance once installed I would rank the bbk's and the kooks as the best but the bbks were def the easiest to instal;.

I understand your worry about the y pipe. But again think about what we are all saying if you are a stock car or lightly modded the ls1 cannot physically pump enough air to make the 3" y necessary. I mean if your catback is 3" and its only 1 pipe what good is stuffing two other 3" pipes into it going to do? The two 2.5" pipes going into the 3" catback is more than adequate. People who dyno their bbk headers get right around 25whp with a tune which is the same as other header brands.

I think the bbk's are what will be going in my car. I just feel that a car that is mint pristine should get the best fitting header. And the car is not going that fast anytime soon, I just want to get the best for my money and for $475 shipped with the y pipe for the coated ones, I don't see how I can go wrong.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bbk and mac are what ive been tossing around , mostly because of the 2 1/2" y-pipe , every little bit of ground clearance helps , plus keeping more low speed power , im not concerned about peak #'s

its good to know the bbks go in easy
Old 12-26-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s/c'd cav
bbk and mac are what ive been tossing around , mostly because of the 2 1/2" y-pipe , every little bit of ground clearance helps , plus keeping more low speed power , im not concerned about peak #'s

its good to know the bbks go in easy
dont waste your time with mac's. they are mid tubes and will not gain the power of a full long tube setup like bbk, pacesetter, tsp etc
Old 12-26-2011, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gs462
How much horsepower is the cutoff where 1 7/8 make more power?
Couldn't tell you exactly but I'm sure 1 3/4 are fine for 300 to 350 rwhp for sure.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DOG-TWO
Couldn't tell you exactly but I'm sure 1 3/4 are fine for 300 to 350 rwhp for sure.
Well I'm guessing I'll be around 400-450 RWHP so I guess the 1 7/8s for me
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmmm
Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i know alot of LS's running 1 3/4" headers and making well over 425whp , so you be fine with either
Old 01-17-2012, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s/c'd cav
i know alot of LS's running 1 3/4" headers and making well over 425whp , so you be fine with either
Just because a setup makes 425whp with 1 3/4" headers doesn't mean it's not being choked. Throw 1 7/8" headers on that same setup and it may make 440whp.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Just because a setup makes 425whp with 1 3/4" headers doesn't mean it's not being choked. Throw 1 7/8" headers on that same setup and it may make 440whp.
I was reading recently about how 1 7/8" headers actually didn't do squat and may even reduce power for most people. Stepped headers produced the best gains. Just throwing that out there.