Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any differences between OEM and aftermarket SLP dual/dual cat-backs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
*I think, its been awhile* to check for the ring of silence run a coat hanger up the passenger side pipe; if you hit something before the muffler, that's the ring. If not then there isn't one.
That's an excellent tip.

I think I would check both sides. The one I saw stay clean on one side was clean on the drivers side.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 02 Firehawk with the SLP Dual/Dual. SLP told me that this system was used because GM wanted it quieter. They do have another system other than the loudmouth that is slightly louder and a few more horses. But for the cost and effort not really worth it.

As I have posted in another thread, I am looking for an exhaust that is louder than my current but not as much as the loudmouth (I haven't heard it myself but understand it to be quite loud) and without decreasing my current horsepower. Magnaflow and Borla are options and any suggestions are greater appreciated.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladyhawke
I have a 02 Firehawk with the SLP Dual/Dual. SLP told me that this system was used because GM wanted it quieter. They do have another system other than the loudmouth that is slightly louder and a few more horses. But for the cost and effort not really worth it.

As I have posted in another thread, I am looking for an exhaust that is louder than my current but not as much as the loudmouth (I haven't heard it myself but understand it to be quite loud) and without decreasing my current horsepower. Magnaflow and Borla are options and any suggestions are greater appreciated.
The other system that SLP sells is the Two on the Left (2otl), I think it sells for around $390 new and is made of stainless steel like. I have also heard that it is slightly louder than the dual/dual system (which is one of the quietest cat-backs available from any manufacturer).

The Magnaflow catback is very popular, made of highly polished stainless steel, and sells for around $350 online. Its possibly the best flowing cat-back on the market, usually only losing a coupe of horsepower over an open cutout.

There are some sound clips of all of the exhaust systems mentioned as well as many others at LS1 Sounds if you would like to check them out.

Also, you will be able to offset the cost of a new system by selling your old dual/dual. If you go this route, let me know! I am currently in the market for one, although I may have found a seller in Michigan.

Quick Reply: Any differences between OEM and aftermarket SLP dual/dual cat-backs?