Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Y pipe issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:57 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You shouldn't have to cut ANYTHING at all.

I chose to run Spohn solids and knew full well what I was getting into when I made the decision. Had I went the poly route I would have had that 3/4" clearence I needed to begin with.

It's frustrating, I know, but I truly feel if you keep a clear mind and play with it a bit, it'll come together.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowering 2"?

BBK LTs/ORY.

350$ shipped and most ground clearance by far.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info again dr_whigham. The only issue is that the car is going to be seeing a healthy heads/cam setup within the next year and I would prefer 1 7/8" over the 1 3/4". I helped a friend with his BBK's last night, and the size and build quality is incomparable. BBK makes a good header and it has great clearance, but with most things it's definitely one where you got what you paid for. The weld weren't the best in some areas, and the ORY is only 2.5" so it doesn't really follow suit with what I wanna do.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If your still not able to get the Y-pipe tucked up where you want it consider a Ball & Socket kit off the end of the collectors that'll will give you more adjust-ability so you can tuck the pipes up more. Another option for the drivers side pipe is to go with a couple of round to oval transitions and a oval mandrel bend between the two. That will give you at least 7/16" more ground clearance without even trying to tuck the pipe up closer the the body.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

pm sent
Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I just finished my TSP header and Y Pipe install over the weekend and I will offer my thoughts:
I noticed in both Aaron’s and Dr.W's pics that both of you used the supplied clamp/coupler to hook the flared end to the header outlets. I spent a few hours mocking up my install, most was with the multi angled short tube that is a problem area for most installers I imagine on the driver’s side due to the floor brace placement? I tried using the coupler/clamps but found it kicked the system too far back and one of the TSP folks mentioned in another thread to install the Y from the back to the front toward the headers so I tried that but found it pushed the Y too far back for my magnaflow catback. I then wondered if the flared end that mates up to the headers were, not sure what the correct term is, slit about 2-3" from the end in 4 spots like my magnaflow tips are, then the flared end would slide over the collectors end, and that is exactly what I did, made 4 slits in each flared tube w/my sawzall w/fine tooth blade and they slid on the collector nice and tight. Then I moved on to the rest of the install. After turning that short pipe on the driver’s side every possible way, I settled on the best I could get and moved on, everything tucks up nice, I think the lowest part of my system may be the short pipe off of the driver’s side OR where the Y crosses under the torque arm but all the rest is tucked nice, IMHO. As my suggestion, in my case I would like to see a few more degrees of bend put in the first bend of that short pipe and perhaps a few more in the second bend as well? That would totally solve my clearance issue in that area and I would go so far as to say if they would create a 2nd "w/extra bend" short pipe for the driver’s side, I would be happy to purchase it and maybe others too as a stand alone optional part. But I can only address my situation and not everyone’s which leads me to say this; IMHO these systems from TSP are designed to fit our cars as best as they can figuring in all the possibilities, like motor mount age, slight difference in one car to the next, etc. I only had one other minor issue with the system and I blame this on the general nature of stainless steel, since I work in an industry that uses a lot of stainless fittings, bolts, nuts, etc. I see a good bit of gauled threads in stainless and one of my 02 bungs required a thread chaser to install the 02 sensor, no biggie like I say. I will post ground clearance pics when I take my car off the jack stands which won't be until this weekend. I also wanted to say the DRIVERS side header install was a breeze for me, NO clearance issues, no cutting, no oil fiilter removal but the passenger side took a lil more finesse to get into place, no cutting or grinding or anything else just a lil harder to get in. For header install I removed the steering coupler on drivers side and on the passenger side the starter and a/c compressor. I also installed new prothane polys which may have decreased my clearance until they settle in, as I hear they sometimes do? All in all, very pleased with my TSP purchase I had originally caught a killer deal on new BBK's but sold those still sealed in the box to get TSP's when I heard they went stainless.
YMMV, I am in no way affiliated with TSP nor do I know anyone personally at TSP, just giving my honest feedback.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to hear she's all buttoned up, Cajun! Amazing how you find aches and pains in you body the mornings before you get back to work on it, lol.

Definitely in to see some pics.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Great summary of you install.
FYI, a easy way to create more clearance around the floor brace/s is to use a piece of thick wall metal plumbing pipe about 3" in diameter and with a jack slowly jack the pipe up into the floor brace where the clearance is tightest. Repeat this until you get the additional clearance you want.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 03-14-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 03-14-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Glad to hear she's all buttoned up, Cajun! Amazing how you find aches and pains in you body the mornings before you get back to work on it, lol.

Definitely in to see some pics.
YOU know it, my left arm had pains I have not felt since I rode in the Krewe of Endymion (locals will get this), it was almost limp from working with my arms over my head on the ground, that starter went up and down about 20 times to get all those wires to align just right, LOL

99blurz28 thx for that tip on "tunnel fabbing"...
Old 03-14-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol at you guys saying they are crap, so parts made on the same jig that mate up exactly the same will have variations?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Great summary of you install.
FYI, a easy way to create more clearance around the floor brace/s is to use a piece of think wall metal plumbing pipe about 3" in diameter and with a jack slowly jack the pipe up into the floor brace where the clearance is tightest. Repeat this until you get the additional clearance you want.
+1. I loosened my clamps before I did so, and wedged a block of wood between the primary of the header and the floor. Didn't have to wedge the merge side, my torque arm is continuously doing this for me

Overall, the TSP y is a great value and quality piece!

Quick Reply: TSP Y pipe issues