Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-05-2016, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Best Battery Replacement? Who Is Using What?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
The car is hard to turn over because I have the aftermarket grounds on the alt bracket instead of the block. When I install my 145a AD244 alternator, I'll have access to the ground bolt and will wire it properly then. I heard that people used the deltran battery tender plus on optima red tops for years with no issue.

What should I get now that the optima batteries have poor quality control and are failing left and right? I've heard good things about these class 34 type batteries:
I replaced my battery cables with upsized #2 wire from Innovative Wiring. At the same time, I replaced the stock starter with a Summit SUM-829200. This starter and larger battery cables will spin the engine over much faster than ever before. Also, the new starter uses 2 long bolts so I can avoid the broken block syndrome.

I had an Optima Red Top, with a battery tender, in my '99 since 2005 and it always worked perfectly. I recently replaced it with another Red Top just as preventative maintenance.

John
Old 07-14-2018, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnR
I replaced my battery cables with upsized #2 wire from Innovative Wiring. At the same time, I replaced the stock starter with a Summit SUM-829200. This starter and larger battery cables will spin the engine over much faster than ever before. Also, the new starter uses 2 long bolts so I can avoid the broken block syndrome.

I had an Optima Red Top, with a battery tender, in my '99 since 2005 and it always worked perfectly. I recently replaced it with another Red Top just as preventative maintenance.

John
Did you have to shim this starter?

Will a starter make a whiny squeaky noise when first starting the car if there is a misalignment on the teeth or is it a belt I'm hearing? Could my new starter gear be grinding against the flywheel causing such a noise? I thought you didn't have to shim these? I replaced my alt with a truck alt ACDELCO 3351092 and put in the SUM-829200. I'm using a 168 tooth B&M flexplate 20304.

I used the stock belt and it was tight, but it didn't squeak when the stock starter and new alt was in. I only fired it up once and car had been sitting 2 seeks. Fired it up today with new starter and I'm hearing that squeaking noise. Went up a size 0.6 inch longer in belt length and still squeaks, but only on start up. Time to inspect my flywheel teeth tomorrow.....
Old 07-14-2018, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Did you have to shim this starter?

Will a starter make a whiny squeaky noise when first starting the car if there is a misalignment on the teeth or is it a belt I'm hearing? Could my new starter gear be grinding against the flywheel causing such a noise? I thought you didn't have to shim these? I replaced my alt with a truck alt ACDELCO 3351092 and put in the SUM-829200. I'm using a 168 tooth B&M flexplate 20304.

I used the stock belt and it was tight, but it didn't squeak when the stock starter and new alt was in. I only fired it up once and car had been sitting 2 seeks. Fired it up today with new starter and I'm hearing that squeaking noise. Went up a size 0.6 inch longer in belt length and still squeaks, but only on start up. Time to inspect my flywheel teeth tomorrow.....
I didn't check the starter for alignment or correct position. I just bolted it in and it worked very well.

As for your squeaking noises while starting, why not try removing the belts then try the starter again. If it doesn't make any noises, then you can add one belt at a time to see which one is the offender.

John
Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JohnR
I didn't check the starter for alignment or correct position. I just bolted it in and it worked very well.

As for your squeaking noises while starting, why not try removing the belts then try the starter again. If it doesn't make any noises, then you can add one belt at a time to see which one is the offender.

John
Yep that is my next step. I have an aftermarket flexplate so that may be the issue here. Also who knows if those long bolts that come with it are OEM length or not. I'll use an 1/8" drill bit to check teeth clearance.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

I have AGM battery like the SL34MAGM (item 347674) at Sam's club for $134, is the same AGM Group Size 34 battery that NAPA sells for $250 (BAT 9834). Doesn't fit factory fbody tray, which is Group 75.
The Powermaster 9509 solved the squealing starter issue.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

they all suck ***, the same shitty companies. best bet is to get 3-5 year replacement if you can. and trickle charge it in cooler weather if it's sitting. here in AZ they go 2-3 years and that's it.

Quick Reply: Best Battery Replacement? Who Is Using What?