Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBX header install odds and ends parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBX header install odds and ends parts

I've ordered the OBX headers/y-pipe.

Trying to make sure I've got everything I need (for a 2002 SS.)

In addition to the OBX headers/y-pipe, I've ordered:
- O2 extenders
- EGR and AIR block off plates (to block them at the headers)
- new GM gaskets
- stage 8 locking header bolts (not too sure about these...some of those bolts look hard to get to, and I don't know how I'll be able to get the locks in place...)

That's all I've ordered (plus I'll get a tune after the install.) I *think* that's all I'll need...but there are a few more things parts shops have related to header installs...do I need these?
- band clamps...I see the OBX kit comes with band clamps, but are they any good? If not, what size do I need? (2 3/4"?)
- egr block off plate for the manifold? (I don't think my 02 has EGR?)
- spark plug boots covers? (Is it tight enough to warrant these?)

Do I need any of the last three items...and anything else I'm missing? Last thing I want to happen is get to doing the work and then not have a part I need...

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say get msd wires easier to work with. Also do polly motor mounts. Your in that area anyway so the extra $50 dollars and time is worth it. The stock rubber mounts arent that great. Youll regret not doing it. And assuming your obx y pile is like a standard y pipe it should be 3". Itll match the header collector size. All the clamps should be fine.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Let us know how they fit. Hope install goes smoothly.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a friend run these, sounded good and looked good. not sure if it has a band clamp for the y-pipe to i-pipe, might wanna look into that. also, you will have alot better clearance around the spark plugs, but the stainless headers will get alot hotter then the cast iron ones so the plug protectors would be a good idea, wont hurt nothin. get ready for alot of Houdini maneuvering, grinding, and pounding and maybe a full days work.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

I will update the thread and let you know how they fit...

I was thinking about plug wires...but I don't think they make any difference in performance, and one of my things is that I don't want to add anything to this car that doesn't make a performance difference. I don't want to spend any money on anything just because. I want to spend money on things that are necessary or make a performance difference.

Main reason I picked these was because they come with resonators that can be swapped out for cats...that may become necessary if I end up not being able to stand the noise. Other reasons were everything being stainless...

Yeah the picture looks like it's short a band clamp or two...last time I did an exhaust there was only U clamps!...when the stuff gets here next Friday I'll check and make sure I've got all the necessary clamps. I *thought* I read somewhere that someone said the clamps that come with the kit suck.

I don't know how hard the motor mounts are...I'll order them and if it looks easy once I'm in there I'll do it. I've put motor mounts into an older Mustang before...but this looks way tighter than the Mustang was.

I'm prepared for a full day...or two. Gonna take my time and enjoy the project.

Anybody know if I need the EGR block off for the manifold? Or anything to block anything off related to the AIR system I'll be removing?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Make your life easier and buy Accu-Seal clamps. Using the clamps that came with the kit, my y-pipe would always loosen up and sag. The accu-seals solved that.