Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid motor mount install, talk about a nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my mounts today and ran into the same problem of not getting one side to line up. i was getting so excited about almost being finished and i tightened the passenger side to much and i cant get the driver side mounts on the k frame to line up. now im sure i have to go back and loosen the pass side so i can move the driver side enough to line up. i hate my life right now
Old 07-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Default Help

[QUOTE=dr_whigham;16127502]It raised my motor (Spohn's) but it doesn't bother me at all.

Dr.,

I also sent you a private message.

My questions:
1. Can you specify a little further on how you supported the engine with the 2x4? My left motor mount is off and my engine is way far back now? Do I need to get an engine hoist or could your method work with the 2x4? Do I jack the engine like you said and remove both motor mounts to finagle or should I do one at a time?

2. If I get solid mounts instead, do I install them first and then the headers? I may get the solid mounts due to the room advantage.

3. Lastly, should I install the solid mounts to the engine and then tighten them to the K member? Or, do you put them on the K member first then the engine?

Sorry, I feel that I am a good mechanic, but this job is kicking my a%%.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did this job (2 days) with the transmission completely out of the car.
I was putting in headers so I had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in my way.

first off I put regular rubber mounts in, I wish I did solid because

I WILL NEVER DO THIS JOB AGAIN. I will drop the K member and do other stuff.

I have never hated doing a job more in my life. I have never had bolts so absolutely difficult to get back in. (motor stand 15MM ones)

mind you I did this on my lift. no transmission. no exhaust in my way.

I put them in with the large connecting bolt tightened. I placed them in and loosely tightened all 4 stand bolts by hand. (**** these bolts)

I had motor lifted by oil pan via hydrolic lift and placed it down on the mounts slowly and smashed it this way and that to align it.

I used a screw driver to pry the holes for the mount to line up.

after motor mount was done I put headers in.

I regret not doing solids. I will never in my life do this job again!!

car can sit with my other not getting fixed camaro

job was for a 2000 camaro
Old 07-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I got the bolt through on the drivers side, then used the tire jack to force the holes in the passenger side to line up. It wasn't too bad at all. Sorry you had such a time with it
Old 07-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Teching In

I would have to agree.

I am a pretty good mechanic, but the motor mounts are a royal pain in the a$$. My clamshells with polys installed will be for sale on ebay very soon. I will use the poly on the trans bolt, but that is it.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I too had a difficult time getting the UMI solids to line up. Took a 300 lbs guy with a digging iron to force things around enough to get the bolts to line up.

I think I remember reading that a batch of the UMI mounts had the orientation arrow machined wrong on the passenger side. That would explain a lot of my frustrations if it were true.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
I too had a difficult time getting the UMI solids to line up. Took a 300 lbs guy with a digging iron to force things around enough to get the bolts to line up.

I think I remember reading that a batch of the UMI mounts had the orientation arrow machined wrong on the passenger side. That would explain a lot of my frustrations if it were true.
I just finished mocking up the UMI#2323 solid mounts along with the Spohn K member. You're right about UMI had a batch of the "right side down" orientation. I bolted mine with no bolt alignment issues. Everything lined up perfect. For those that have them, don't force it if it doesn't line up, instead mount them topside down.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the tips.

Are you using poly or stock for T56 mount? I'd imagine all the rigidity is a bit harder on manual cars during hard shifts. I'd prefer to use poly but snapping a tail shaft doesn't sound fun.

Also, what's the feel between the Hawks aluminum mounts and the UMI? Hawks are about $30 less and look the same with the same description.

Thanks.

Last edited by CoolAid; 07-31-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Damn,

I got the solids in, but now I can't get my driver's side Kooks header in.

Any tips?

Should I loosen the transmount and raise it?
Old 08-04-2015, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had 0 issues installing 2 sets of UMI solid mounts. I completely removed the frame stands and stock mounts from the car to start the install. I had no idea which way the arrows on the UMI mounts were supposed to face. I just put them on the frame stands way that looked/felt right. Then I put the mount assemblies into the car to make sure all the bolt holes lined up on both sides of the engine at the same time. Then I started threading all of the bolts in all locations. I did NOT tighten any bolts until I had both sides in and rested the weight of the engine onto the mount assemblies. The last bolts to tighten are the 2 large bolts that hold the mounts to the frame stands.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Yup, I did not have any issues when I went to the Spohn solid mounts. The best tip that I was given was to use a 2x4 on its tall end right in front of the oil pan drain plug. I put the car on jack stands all the way around.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Spohn solids.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...or-mounts.html

Quick Reply: Solid motor mount install, talk about a nightmare!