Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defining Moment GM LS6/Weiand LS6

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Even for a street car you would opt for a single plane vs a FAST?

again.. it depends on the car...

mine is a daily driver(except when weather is bad)
no issues with a single plane on the street...and in fact I like it better than my FAST 90

classic muscle cars all used a single plane intake...from the factory.

its all in the tune...

people think a single plane intake only makes power up high and that theres no torque down low....
they are so mislead that they cant see the forest for the trees...

correct that it might make a little less power down real low...but by 3k its making the same power as the FAST 90 is..
and up top the single plane easily out does the FAST 90
Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soundengineer
again.. it depends on the car...

mine is a daily driver(except when weather is bad)
no issues with a single plane on the street...and in fact I like it better than my FAST 90

classic muscle cars all used a single plane intake...from the factory.

its all in the tune...

people think a single plane intake only makes power up high and that theres no torque down low....
they are so mislead that they cant see the forest for the trees...

correct that it might make a little less power down real low...but by 3k its making the same power as the FAST 90 is..
and up top the single plane easily out does the FAST 90
Interesting especially considering the cost difference. After rails and porting and I was into my manifold for like 1200 bucks ya know.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget people also don't run the right cam with a single plane, that's the one of the reasons a single plane has a bad rap on this site. Single planes kick *** with the right set up.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

With something like the N20 Outlet elbow on a single plane your really restricting airflow though right?

If you have have one drilled to accept EFI injectors and the map sensor goes where?
Can single planes be pretty much a bolt on type deal or do you have to get one of the timing boxes? I searched but could not really find anything on them.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 AM
8 Second Club

With something like the N20 Outlet elbow on a single plane your really restricting airflow though right?

If you have have one drilled to accept EFI injectors and the map sensor goes where?
Can single planes be pretty much a bolt on type deal or do you have to get one of the timing boxes? I searched but could not really find anything on them.
Super Victor and Vic Jr are bolt on....
both have NPT provisions...which can be anything you want them to be...including used for a MAP Sensor
both are already made for EFI...and have Injector bungs just like any other EFI intake
also, if you buy a carb style 4 barrel throttle body, they have extra provisions on them for vacuum related things as well.

Different elbows create different results...some are more restrictive than others
I use an "Extreme Velocity Pro Carb Hat" and it does better than every other elbow out there according to many racer reviews.

My particular setup...Super Victor EFI (28095)
MAP sensor comes off of the port on the passenger side of the intake..
Brake Vacuum comes off of My TB from a 1/8 NPT to a 6an, then thru a 6an/10an coupler, and then into the stock brake vacuum line to the brake booster..(stock brake booster hose is 5/8 so I use a 10an Hose end to connect it to my TB..)
My TB has several 1/8 NPT provisions and some 1/16 NPT provisions that could be used for any vacuum things you wanted(say for instance the stock vacuum line that connects to the back of your intake to do your HVAC controls...)

the TB uses a stock IAC motor and uses a standard ford style TPS sensor which has the same connector and specs as the stock GM one(so its all plug and play)

truthfully... the only thing that happens with a single plane intake that is usually the main reason more people dont use them... is they dont exactly bolt into place in the engine bay... most of the time you will have to do some modifications to your cowl....even if you go to a low profile elbow and a forward facing single blade TB...
if you do Like I did(super Vic, 1" spacer, 4150 style TB, big carb hat) .. you can plan on big cutting and losing your windshield wipers...
add in my Nitrous setup, and its a pretty monstrous intake....

the lowest profile you can go with a vic jr, will get you to the point where you only have to notch the cowl in the center about a half an inch and you dont lose anything...you even retain your hood weather seal

Last edited by soundengineer; 04-02-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Super Victor and Vic Jr are bolt on....
both have NPT provisions...which can be anything you want them to be...including used for a MAP Sensor
both are already made for EFI...and have Injector bungs just like any other EFI intake
also, if you buy a carb style 4 barrel throttle body, they have extra provisions on them for vacuum related things as well.

Different elbows create different results...some are more restrictive than others
I use an "Extreme Velocity Pro Carb Hat" and it does better than every other elbow out there according to many racer reviews.

My particular setup...Super Victor EFI (28095)
MAP sensor comes off of the port on the passenger side of the intake..
Brake Vacuum comes off of My TB from a 1/8 NPT to a 6an, then thru a 6an/10an coupler, and then into the stock brake vacuum line to the brake booster..(stock brake booster hose is 5/8 so I use a 10an Hose end to connect it to my TB..)
My TB has several 1/8 NPT provisions and some 1/16 NPT provisions that could be used for any vacuum things you wanted(say for instance the stock vacuum line that connects to the back of your intake to do your HVAC controls...)

the TB uses a stock IAC motor and uses a standard ford style TPS sensor which has the same connector and specs as the stock GM one(so its all plug and play)

truthfully... the only thing that happens with a single plane intake that is usually the main reason more people dont use them... is they dont exactly bolt into place in the engine bay... most of the time you will have to do some modifications to your cowl....even if you go to a low profile elbow and a forward facing single blade TB...
if you do Like I did(super Vic, 1" spacer, 4150 style TB, big carb hat) .. you can plan on big cutting and losing your windshield wipers...
add in my Nitrous setup, and its a pretty monstrous intake....

the lowest profile you can go with a vic jr, will get you to the point where you only have to notch the cowl in the center about a half an inch and you dont lose anything...you even retain your hood weather seal

What type of throttle body? can I see a picture of your set-up?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 AM
8 Second Club

What type of throttle body? can I see a picture of your set-up?
Scorpion 4150

Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good gawd that thing IS massive, im very jealous.

So the TB that go under the hat are better than the elbows that use the front opening TB?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 AM
8 Second Club

Good gawd that thing IS massive, im very jealous.

So the TB that go under the hat are better than the elbows that use the front opening TB?

not necessarily....
they both have good points and bad points...
just depends on which elbow you use on how good it does...

a 105mm forward facing TB is great... but doesnt work as good if you dont have the right elbow

same thing goes for the 4150 style TB... bad elbows = bad results

for some people its about function and cost...
not everybody is an all out racer, and not everybody wants a car that sees the street only...
guys are running crazy fast on all styles of intakes....its all about the combo and how well that combo works together.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

not necessarily....
they both have good points and bad points...
just depends on which elbow you use on how good it does...

a 105mm forward facing TB is great... but doesnt work as good if you dont have the right elbow

same thing goes for the 4150 style TB... bad elbows = bad results

for some people its about function and cost...
not everybody is an all out racer, and not everybody wants a car that sees the street only...
guys are running crazy fast on all styles of intakes....its all about the combo and how well that combo works together.
I don't want keep this hi-jack going I'll PM you.

Sorry OP for going
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha no big deal guys, my ls6 is installed and weiand has been sold. Theres a lot of good info in this post, should turn it into Intake 101
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Any gain from the 1" spacer? Or is it a clearance issue for linkage, plumbing, etc?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I just noticed this are you spraying through a 4150 plate as well as a direct port? or is this just a spacer?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:22 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Any gain from the 1" spacer? Or is it a clearance issue for linkage, plumbing, etc?
there are almost always gains from a spacer.....you are increasing plenum volume and giving the air time to straighten out..

So I just noticed this are you spraying through a 4150 plate as well as a direct port? or is this just a spacer?
Just a spacer...
Dual stage, Dry, Direct Port...
and more juice than most people have for NA horsepower....

Quick Reply: Defining Moment GM LS6/Weiand LS6