Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defining Moment GM LS6/Weiand LS6

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defining Moment GM LS6/Weiand LS6

So, right now I own both a GM LS6 intake, and a Weiand LS6 Lingenfelter signatured aluminum intake... which one is better?

The weiand is a much better looking intake then the standard cheap lookin ls6 but they both perform well.

Which one would you choose?

Im going to sell whichever one I dont use.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ls6 for sure

why do u have both?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I vote LS6
Old 03-26-2012, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Because I originally bought the Weiand, found out I couldnt put it on due to someone doing some homemade shiznit on it. So I figured Id just buy an LS6 GM intake, so now I have both, but I have taken the time to really do up the Weiand and make it usable.

Heres the Weiand, I have Stainless bolts and everything

Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the weiand seals like ****...and doesnt really do any better than the LS6 intake...plus the Weiand gets heatsoaked instantly...

sell both and buy somebody's used FAST 90
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running the Wieand for about 4 months now and not to be rude to any of the above posts, but heat soak is BS I have driven my car around the city Im stationed in and when you stop you can touch it. Granted it does stay warmer than the plastic longer once the car is off.
As for sealing - most people dont take the time to measure what gaskets are needed if Im wrong chime in anyone.......
There are 5 different gasket thicknesses used with these intakes to properly seal them to your heads, its not a one size fits all sort of thing.

My intake also has the runners ported and is a 4 bolt 92mm flange with a Nick Williams throttlebody, so how exactly is an LS6 intake going to compare to that? There is a lot of play room left on the table for the aluminum intakes that isnt there for a piece of plastic.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

You can make an LS6 look the same as your Weiand. It will take less effort to seal (re-usable factory rubber gaskets), and if you end up like most of the ls1 guys here, you will probably be removing and installing the intake multiple times in the future. For that fact alone, I would go LS6.

As already mentioned, you would be ahead of the game if you sold both and went FAST 90 or 92 - that's the best advice given so far. As for heat soak, no comment. But for the ease of removing and installing, I would stay away from the aluminum intake and its traditional style gaskets and stick with the plastic intake and their individual, re-usable rubber ones.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by firemech21
I have been running the Wieand for about 4 months now and not to be rude to any of the above posts, but heat soak is BS I have driven my car around the city Im stationed in and when you stop you can touch it. Granted it does stay warmer than the plastic longer once the car is off.
As for sealing - most people dont take the time to measure what gaskets are needed if Im wrong chime in anyone.......
There are 5 different gasket thicknesses used with these intakes to properly seal them to your heads, its not a one size fits all sort of thing.

My intake also has the runners ported and is a 4 bolt 92mm flange with a Nick Williams throttle body, so how exactly is an LS6 intake going to compare to that? There is a lot of play room left on the table for the aluminum intakes that isnt there for a piece of plastic.
I'm not trying to be offensive to you or anybody else that has one...
but they do heat soak......quite badly...
your hand is not an accurate measurement.
I've measured IAT's inside vs a composite intake, and heatsoak is quite noticeable on the weiand.....it holds a lot more heat than a "plastic" or "composite" intake does...

as far as the having to measure for your gasket...That there is the Bull **** that should not happen
that shows poor design, or poor production, or both...
if you cant get it right to offer one gasket to work, then you are doing it wrong...
all LS heads have the same angle on the intake port face...
they are all machined to fit the same way...
they are all made to work with a stock intake and gasket set.

I'm glad you were smart enough to buy one with a 92mm flange...
and I'm glad you were smart enough to port it.....most people dont

also, the amount you pay to port that...you can get more results for less money on a FAST 90/92 that you can buy used for reasonably cheap...
you spent $600+ new for the weiand...plus paid for porting which can easily be that much or more...and the runners are not as open as the Fast 90/92 to begin with...
or you can buy a FAST 92 used from somebody for $650-$900(prices I have seen on this site in the classifieds section)
and you dont fight heatsoak with a fast 90/92...and theres still room to port it if you want to...(I've seen a while coffee can of material come out of a FAST 90/92 intake

also...when it comes to adding forced induction....
had a buddy who had a FAST 90, switched to the weiand because he was told it would hold up to the pressures of a supercharger better...
12psi on a vortech and the weiand broke....
he put back on his FAST intake, and hes now doing 15psi with no issues..
Old 03-27-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive had both and at the time neither intake made any noticeable differences between each other. The ls6 is easier to r/r. Heatsoak was never of a concern. Since the weiand made no noticeable difference with the motor used.
Use whichever appeals to you more. If it's a max effort build either intake will hold you back on a n/a setup
Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool sn btw.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
as far as the having to measure for your gasket...That there is the Bull **** that should not happen
that shows poor design, or poor production, or both...
if you cant get it right to offer one gasket to work, then you are doing it wrong...
all LS heads have the same angle on the intake port face...
they are all machined to fit the same way...
they are all made to work with a stock intake and gasket set.

I'm glad you were smart enough to buy one with a 92mm flange...
and I'm glad you were smart enough to port it.....most people dont

So is it bullshit to have to measure ring gap, PTV clearence, head gasket thickness, pushrod length, main bearing clearence, valve seat pressure, etc??? By your above statement all the engine are made the same same specs...

There are always variences, you cant blame a manufacturer for ignorence of the consumer.

BTW - its a custom intake you cant buy them with a 92mm flange.

I was just trying to answer the OP's original question, I suggest the Wieand it has better potental with some effort over the LS6. And if he ever really wanted too there is a nice little plate on the bottum thats REMOVEABLE and extra go fast goodies can be put in the.

No offense soundengineer it just seemed that your BS comment wasnt very well thought out man.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Heat soak is a myth, do a search. Air is moving to fast to make a noticable difference in performance. Out of the box, the weiand does not perform better then the ls6. Add a 92mm opening and port it, well I am sure it performs close to a fast 90. The problem though is the runners. Even a ls6 drops off around 6500, and the weiand being closely designed to the ls6 performs exactly the same. Ported I don't know. I don't see a huge if you switch to fast 90. You could always buy one and do a dyno comparison for us
Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is it bullshit to have to measure ring gap, PTV clearence, head gasket thickness, pushrod length, main bearing clearence, valve seat pressure, etc??? By your above statement all the engine are made the same same specs...
Everything you mentioned is either a wear item that will need to be measured for oversized tolerances or if you are doing stock replacements woudlnt need to be measured anyway. If you did a stock cam with stock heads with stock valvetrain then you would use stock components. The FAST intake was made to fit just like stock. You can take any brand of heads and the FAST will fit and seal with the same gasket. Until Weiand can do the same it is inferior. Besides their intakes for older carbed engines fit perfectly and seal very well. Why did they have to deviate from what works.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
the weiand seals like ****...and doesnt really do any better than the LS6 intake...plus the Weiand gets heatsoaked instantly...

sell both and buy somebody's used FAST 90

ROFL.....because the heads, cylinders and the block aren't hot. Enough with this heat soak bullshit.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
8 Second Club

So is it bullshit to have to measure ring gap, PTV clearance, head gasket thickness, pushrod length, main bearing clearance, valve seat pressure, etc??? By your above statement all the engine are made the same same specs...
none of this listed in this part of your quote has anything to do with an intake......

There are always variances, you cant blame a manufacturer for ignorance of the consumer.
I'm sorry.. I guess Weiand doesn't hold themselves to the exacting standards that other manufacturers do...
they have this cool thing, called a milling machine...you make the intake slightly over-sized and then mill it to match manufacturers specs
I can pull any edlebrock intake out of the box and bolt it on to any car with out a sealing issue using nothing more than a pretty standard Fel Pro gasket...and they even tell you which gasket to get...and you can get it at any auto parts store.

I cannot say the same for the Weiand intake...5 different gaskets? really?

BTW - its a custom intake you cant buy them with a 92mm flange.

I was just trying to answer the OP's original question, I suggest the Weiand it has better potential with some effort over the LS6. And if he ever really wanted too there is a nice little plate on the bottom that's REMOVABLE and extra go fast goodies can be put in the.
and the FAST 90/92 or 102 intakes all come apart so that you can better get at them to port....much more so than that small little window in the bottom of the Weiand.

No offense soundengineer it just seemed that your BS comment wasn't very well thought out man.
No offense taken....
oh.. and I was nice and spell checked your reply and corrected all the mistakes..

also... if you can mill your heads enough to cause a leak that a gasket can't fix, then you have really gone into a whole different world of racing and the intake will probably be custom anyways and not the crappy Weiand intake...

Holley Makes nice stuff... Weiand being a subdivision of Holley...the Weiand LS6 intake was a failure in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by sepsis
ROFL.....because the heads, cylinders and the block aren't hot. Enough with this heat soak bullshit.
I'm hoping that is sarcasm... because I'm pretty sure the Block and heads get pretty dam hot..LOL

and Just the FYI...
Measured intake charge temps using a Proper Thermocouple probe that reacts much faster than the IAT sensor can...
did it as an experiment for a friend...

Measured differences from inside the lid to inside the intake...
the only difference on the car was the intake and the Weiand showed Higher air temps and held the heat longer.

while the air temps will drop when you stomp on the throttle... it does go in Hotter with the Weiand than it does with the LS1/LS6/FAST intake
Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by taman86
Heat soak is a myth, do a search. Air is moving to fast to make a noticable difference in performance. Out of the box, the weiand does not perform better then the ls6. Add a 92mm opening and port it, well I am sure it performs close to a fast 90. The problem though is the runners. Even a ls6 drops off around 6500, and the weiand being closely designed to the ls6 performs exactly the same. Ported I don't know. I don't see a huge if you switch to fast 90. You could always buy one and do a dyno comparison for us

partially right...
the Weiand and the LS6 perform almost exactly identical if you just pull them out of the box and bolt them on...
both fall off around 6000-6500 no matter which one you use...

the FAST 90 does show quite a bit of gains over an LS6 intake and there are hundreds and probably thousands of threads on this site alone showing exactly that...
the FAST intake also tends to carry out to around 6800 before its done because of runner length issues.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^exactly
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how's the fast 78 compare. Iv read a lot of threads saying the 78 is better than an ls6 and ported is almost comparable to a 90. A friend says it's a waste of money buying a 78 from an ls1 mani since the stock is 75mm. It's like going stock to stock.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

Well we've all had a nice war of words, which is what I was hoping for. Im going to put the LS6 intake on, Im hoping for a RWHP Seat in the pants noticable difference when adding this intake Saturday.

I checked all my differences with a caliper on the intake.

Ports on the Weiand are between 28mm and 28.02mm... the LS6 are 24.76mm... pretty big difference.

The throttle body opening is 75.7mm on the LS6 and 76.27mm on the Weiand with plenty of room to open it up.

Now the LS6 is wayyyy smoother inside. Basically like a ported aluminum intake. The casting inside the Weiand is very rough which will probably cut down on the efficency on the intake over the LS6.

Well anyone want to buy a Weiand intake? lol make an offer and its yours haha

Quick Reply: Defining Moment GM LS6/Weiand LS6