Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got my texas speed true duals in today.. Is this going to be a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeanPocket
will do,

I also was considering taking it to a local dyno to see a benchmark between the two; Since i have both readily available.
That would be awesome, especially if the performance was down a lot on the new design and TSP would still let you send it back after dyno'ing.

Don't see why they wouldn't.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sending my merge back, we already worked something out, but thats between me and tsp.

I'm having second thoughts tho about the dyno, if its within my budget I'll do it. If anything, I think TSP should do it and prove those experts right. I bought the TSP true duals because I wanted the best on the market, no compromises.

With that being said, I still stand behind tsp and their workmanship, I hope this doesn't tarnish their rep, since technically it wasn't their fault, and its getting resolved according to matt's own words when we spoke on the phone.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll re-iterate that ANYBODY who received a set of these that is not 100% satisfied can return the X to exchange for the new ones when they arrive.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Last edited by Sales2@Texas-speed; 05-21-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to say, but I personally would absolutely not run that on my car.

I was in a tight spot and had to use 3" to 2.25" collector reducers when my duals were being built for the Chevelle. I recently cut them out after over a year and replaced them with 3" to 3" pieces.

Even though it only necked down for a length of 2", there was a noticeable improvement in part throttle response, sound, and I expect to see at least some improvement on the next 1/4 mile outing after I corrected the problem. If dual 2.25" choked the car, I can only imagine cramming exhaust through a couple sharp bends into a similar size single pipe.

I really don't want to step on any toes but I have to disagree that it would perform up to par the TSP duals are known for.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 05-16-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:00 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No problem, if you bought a set call me and I'll get you an RMA #

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bramlok
Might as well stick with a y pipe setup then. The size of the x pipe where it gets skinny is no bigger than one of the single pipes. Kinda defeats the purpose of true duals no matter what "experts from big name manufacturers" say.

Do you guys plan to go back with the original design eventually?
Agreed.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered mine back in September or october still in the box but gonna be installed next week. I'll have to go open it up and look but from back then they wouldn't be in this batch would they?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Launching!

If TSP says there is no difference in performance, hp or tq with the new design, then why not stick with it?

Doesn't make sense to go back to the original tooling as they said, if they new design is equally as good.

I'd like to see some back to back dyno runs for comparison.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
No problem, if you bought a set call me and I'll get you an RMA #
Do you know if the system will work on a third gen?

Originally Posted by cranny
If TSP says there is no difference in performance, hp or tq with the new design, then why not stick with it?

Doesn't make sense to go back to the original tooling as they said, if they new design is equally as good.

you would have to test it on a motor that the smaller pipe would be a restriction on, or there wont be much of a differance.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Launching!

The OP merge looks just like the one I got a month or 2 ago. If it's not as good as the one with the different tooling, I wonder if I'll be able to exchange it?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

well for one, thats not as advertised.

I was expecting this:

not this:

its foolish to believe it is 'equally' as good, it clearly is not, there is no proper transition and I'm willing to bet the scavenging effect is terribly inefficient. Did Pat G go from a 3" -> 2" transtition for his 500 hp build ?

and i will continue to believe this untill proven otherwise. I'm highly debating taking my proper merge to a dyno, and comparing it to the 'equally' good merge. However, I'm having second thoughts on putting that on my car since I already know what the outcome would be and potentially harming my system worst case scenario.

If it is 'safe' and 'equally' as good, someone needs to prove this.

And secondly, its not a 'new design' it was a unapproved alteration.

^^with all that being said, this is technically NOT tsp's fault, as they did not do the welds or bends, and they are taking care of everyone (including myself).

Last edited by LeanPocket; 05-16-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Karl101
The OP merge looks just like the one I got a month or 2 ago. If it's not as good as the one with the different tooling, I wonder if I'll be able to exchange it?
talk to TSP and see what they say
Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeanPocket

^^with all that being said, this is technically NOT tsp's fault, as they did not do the welds or bends, and they are taking care of everyone (including myself).
I like texas speed... great guys.. but it technically is their fault. they brought it to market without a quality control check. so even if they did not personally build it wrong, they still sold it...
just clarifying lol love you guys at texas speed
Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
There is definitely something wrong there.

I know Aaron & Matt are awesome with customer service; They'll take care of it.

I'd be willing to bet if you put a caliper in the middle of the X it would be just under 3". Too much was cut from each elbow before it was welded together.
Looks my eye-calipers need no calibrating
Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95batmobile
I like texas speed... great guys.. but it technically is their fault. they brought it to market without a quality control check. so even if they did not personally build it wrong, they still sold it...
just clarifying lol love you guys at texas speed
yea, indirectly it is, but quality control needs to be addressed from now on. Imagine if it was a wrong tooling method on a oil pump? Good thing i caught this, and according to matt it is being taken of. As long as they make it right, I'm still a customer.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Sorry to say, but I personally would absolutely not run that on my car.
Agreed. Not only is the area of the merge smaller causing a restriction, but the radius looks to be tighter as well causing even more of a restriction. Scavenging will be reduced. The first design will absolutely outflow the new one it is easy to see.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Launching!

I think the disturbing part is TSP mentioning that the "experts" say it is ok when clearly it is not.

So do they hope to sell off the remaining new batch to unsuspecting customers in hopes some people won't notice or care?

Most people looking to buy this setup like LeanPocket know what they are doing, hence the questioning to begin with.

The right thing for TSP to do would be to recall the entire batch, cut their losses and start over.

If TSP sold me this and then tried to convince me the experts say it's ok, they would lose me as a customer.

Come on guys, it's ok to admit you're wrong. Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. Do the right thing here because your customer base is not stupid.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OP, thanks for posting the pics. It looks like it necks down to only about 2 inches. I wasn't expecting it to be even that small. Like I originally said, I can't see how this would be any more efficient than a good 3" y pipe with a good merge. In fact maybe less so. I was contemplating going with a TSP true dual system but no way now it if looks like that. I like the guys at TSP and 90% of the parts on my car are from them, but they dropped the ball on this one.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Im just going to exchange mine out, just got off the phone with matt, great guy to deal with and he said it would take about a month to recieve a new one. Great guys at TSP
Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the disturbing part is TSP mentioning that the "experts" say it is ok when clearly it is not.

So do they hope to sell off the remaining new batch to unsuspecting customers in hopes some people won't notice or care?

Most people looking to buy this setup like LeanPocket know what they are doing, hence the questioning to begin with.

The right thing for TSP to do would be to recall the entire batch, cut their losses and start over.

If TSP sold me this and then tried to convince me the experts say it's ok, they would lose me as a customer.

Come on guys, it's ok to admit you're wrong. Nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes. Do the right thing here because your customer base is not stupid.
From what I understand I got the last one, and from what I remember they aren't gonna do a massive recall because its so few units that were affected.

I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt cuz I knew this shouldnt have gotten through quality control, I mean its a human being stuffing this inside a box right?

Those TSP true duals are freaking dyno proven time and time again, and quite frankly I expected the best craftsmanship for the price i paid. TBH I wouldve waited, but since they were in stock, i sold my y pipe and my catback to buy this setup.. now im kinda in a snag because of this.

Originally Posted by Bramlok
OP, thanks for posting the pics. It looks like it necks down to only about 2 inches. I wasn't expecting it to be even that small. Like I originally said, I can't see how this would be any more efficient than a good 3" y pipe with a good merge. In fact maybe less so. I was contemplating going with a TSP true dual system but no way now it if looks like that. I like the guys at TSP and 90% of the parts on my car are from them, but they dropped the ball on this one.
Once the old proven batch comes back in a month, dont hesitate to buy them. I dont think i can even give my old merge away, i can have it notorized by the ceo magnaflow and id still have to pay someone to put in on their car..

Originally Posted by camarodude87
Im just going to exchange mine out, just got off the phone with matt, great guy to deal with and he said it would take about a month to recieve a new one. Great guys at TSP
with a y pipe or a true duals?

Quick Reply: I got my texas speed true duals in today.. Is this going to be a problem?