Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To cat or not to cat, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Drokkers
way to keep me on the fence. LOL thanks for the reply. Yeah im not sure of any tuners close by louisville, ky, so i want to make sure that if i dont get a tune it wont hurt the motor.

I figured LTs and ory and my hooker catback wouldnt have any rasp, but if the gases are bad then i will go with cats.

im scratching my head now on what to do at this point, need more opinions/experiences please.
Unleashed is close to Louisville and is suppose to be really good.

Originally Posted by speedgoat
I had a ory on my car with a 224/224 cam and my wife complained that i stink like gas every time i drove it. Welded a pair of $60 magnaflow cats in there and no more gas smell and all the rask went away too. Did make the exhaust much quieter so I ended up putting a cutout on it. Now its perfect.
I have a 226/230 cam and my wife complains of the same thing. She hates the car. I'm going to put some high flow cats on it this spring.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

uploading a vid to photobucket...... will post.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FN video is upside down..... dammit
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xX-Z28-Xx
^^^

recorded the vid with my phone upside down...... sorry a$$ operator!!! and that would be me
Old 05-16-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
recorded the vid with my phone upside down...... sorry a$$ operator!!! and that would be me
All we want is to hear it!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

that may be the question but the answer is definitely NO cats, theyre horrible pets

as well as more expensive/heavier/restrictive than catless (however slight it may be)
Old 05-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imo racecars dont have cats lol, for a y pipe it helps alot, i dont like y pipes but i would much rather add a bullet in the i pipe than cats,
Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
IMO, just get the 1-7/8" TSP LT headers and the ORY-pipe, then if the smell bothers you too much, then just put a Magnaflow(#59959 3" in/out about $100) HF cat on the end of the Y-pipe. You also could go with a Magnaflow#59930(3.5" in/out about $120) for higher flow,with minimal modification to the exit of the TSP Y-pipe.

It'll still get hot enough to reduce any fuel smell, but you won't have to worry about it reducing you ground clearance or getting damaged. It's just an option I thought you should be aware of. The only down side I see it that it won't be as efficient as having HF cats right after the headers.
i never thought about that. Maybe thats because i didnt know about it and that why you guys are here. Efficiency isnt a HUGE must have all hp i can get issue for me, so this is a very nice option to have. thanks for the reply
Old 05-16-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Unleashed is close to Louisville and is suppose to be really good.

I have a 226/230 cam and my wife complains of the same thing. She hates the car. I'm going to put some high flow cats on it this spring.
thanks for the reply, i will google them and check it out. See i believe cats is the way to go, but after headers or after the y pipe is my new question?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

why do you want to go to a catted y? thanks for the reply
Little late to the party but, I mainly just want a cleaner running ride. Mine doesn't run overly rich tho and once I throw a decent tune at it I may change my mind.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are these fumes you guys speak of? The only time I can smell fumes with my ORY is if I get out of my car while it's on in the garage, besides that they're almost unnoticeable, maybe I have a good tune? does having the stock cam help with that too?
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That's because of your stock cam.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Who uses cats to tune the sound or kill rasp. Yuck
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stunna p
I have a huge cam, and no cats. And the smell is horrible! your hair,clothes, etc. reak of exhaust. even walking by the car running in the drive way, you can smell it on you when you walk in the house. my wife absolutely hates my car, and refuses to ride in it since if done h/c etc. because her hair smells so bad after..... If you dont want fumes, cats are a must!
I agree with most of this, but my car has cats, and the smell of fuel is still there. Tomorrow I will not have cats since the nice high flow ones plugged up rather quickly (15k miles).

Have big cam...will have fuel smell. I'm coming to terms with this and getting the power.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nicul15
Who uses cats to tune the sound or kill rasp. Yuck
then how do you do it then Guinness????? (yes the beer)
Old 05-17-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02chickenhawk
I agree with most of this, but my car has cats, and the smell of fuel is still there. Tomorrow I will not have cats since the nice high flow ones plugged up rather quickly (15k miles).

Have big cam...will have fuel smell. I'm coming to terms with this and getting the power.
what kind of cats did you have? i have a small cam and will have one until further surgery so i doubt it will be as bad as yours. thanks for the reply
Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Magnaflow this time. I may have to put a resonator on this car if it is too loud. The po-po doesn't like loud here in CO. My exhaust dump will most likely never come open again..LOL

Your car shouldn't be bad at all.

Looks like you have a nice set of upgrades, car must move along nicely.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02chickenhawk
Magnaflow this time. I may have to put a resonator on this car if it is too loud. The po-po doesn't like loud here in CO. My exhaust dump will most likely never come open again..LOL

Your car shouldn't be bad at all.

Looks like you have a nice set of upgrades, car must move along nicely.
thanks for the reply. Yeah the men in blue around here dont care to much on the loudness, my bike was super loud and even got a thumbs up from a cop once, so not worried about them.

im thinking about installing a cat after the y pipe. i know for sure there will be a cat(s) somewhere.

The car moves pretty good IMO, and it puts a smile on my passengers faces as well. But its a work in progress. Def would like to get some 243s and a slightly larger cam, and some konis after this. And if my car moves, then yours must fly, it is a bird after all!!!

Last edited by Drokkers; 05-17-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

so im about to pull the trigger on some LTs for TSP (1 3/4). I have a hooker cat-back super comp. w/ shorties.

My question is should i run a catted y or an O/R y from TSP?

I dont want the gas smell that comes into the car (some say they smell it when using an O/R y) and i dont want rasp, but do want the sound and performance of the O/R y.True duals are out the question. Thanks for you .02 guys
leave the cats in there. you're not gonna gain enough performance to be worth removing them.

Quick Reply: To cat or not to cat, that is the question