Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY is hitting the floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ORY is hitting the floorboards

I dont get it everything looks good too. Ive been under the whole car looking for where it could possibly be hitting and i cant find it at all.. Only does it when you first take off from a stop or when you really get on the car good. Motor mounts look good so where else should I look?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Its gotta be the mounts. Thats what i thought when I first put my ory on too. Changed out the mounts and the problem was solved. They might look good from what you can see but when you open them up is a different story. I went with poly mounts over the stock ones and have no complaints.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

I have the whole weekend so I might get under there and check it out.. This would have been easier with the headers out lol. Im guessing you can do this with headers and y pip installed
Old 05-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

It is a lot easier with the headers out!! And if I remember correctly i believe we disconnected the Y pipe to have a little more freedom to move the engine a bit to align the bolts.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by blackphantom
I dont get it everything looks good too. Ive been under the whole car looking for where it could possibly be hitting and i cant find it at all.. Only does it when you first take off from a stop or when you really get on the car good. Motor mounts look good so where else should I look?
This is actually a known issue, and has been for years and years. The rubber motor mounts allow too much movement for aftermarket systems like yours. Polyurethane mounts should fix that issue.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 147 Likes on 118 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...nts-w-lts.html

Originally Posted by Sommer86
The vibration wont be "excessive". But on stock motor mounts, you'll more than likely have your Y banging into your floorboard.

I did my Y and MM's at the same time and couldn't love them more. All my friend have stayed with stock MM's and the Y hits the floorboard.

Do it right the first time and do the prothane mounts. Plus, it's a Camaro, not a Benz.
Originally Posted by DaveX
I think you would later regret not going with poly mounts because the Y almost always bangs unless you are at factory ride height and adjust it for plenty of clearance. They are pretty easy to install with the headers off but a pain to install with them on. The vibration isn't that bad.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Ya I could do them but dont feel like fighting and taking the headers lose again. I picked up a pair of poly mounts. I have a shop from me will install them the labor is 250. 3hr job they say lol
Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would make sure your paying a flat rate and not by the hour or you'll end up with a fortune in it when it takes them longer. They're honestly not that bad if you take the pedastel and mount off together. What people have trouble with is lining it back up but if you keep the center bolt in at all times that problem basically goes away. Thats with the headers removed though.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have polys and my Ypipe still hits the floor sometimes.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

I have the pacesetter y and I think its because there isnt any room on the driver side so it just bangs around there. pass side and everywhere else is super quite. Thanks for the respond mike171562 id be pissed to spend the time to put mounts in and still have the same problem
Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Definately make sure it's a flat rate. I paid a shop $240 to do mine and it took them every bit of 6 hours to do it. He told me to never bring that car there again.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackphantom
I have the pacesetter y and I think its because there isnt any room on the driver side so it just bangs around there. pass side and everywhere else is super quite. Thanks for the respond mike171562 id be pissed to spend the time to put mounts in and still have the same problem
The polys helped, they were a bitch to get in, but I'm glad I did them, the motor doesnt move around anymore, I have a pacesetter Y as well and it bangs less, but it still bangs
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Launching!

It's ghetto but... get about a 12" strip of high quality heater hose and band clamp (screw to tighten style) and wrap the Y-pipe on the driver's side about the middle of your door. This will be a good temp fix until you can get the real resolution solved. It worked on mine, and I just decided to leave it that way. I'm running Kooks headers and ORY.

$5.00 fix.. be it temporary or permanent.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

I think I can make that work. Ill go home tonight or tomorrow and give it a try and let you know how it went
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

My header collector hit the floorboard (drivers side) after I installed them even with poly motor mounts.

I had to use my air hammer to make a little more space between the collector and floor. It's all good now.

If you have less than 1/4" between the drivers side collector and floor board, that's where it's hitting.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Thats good to know how much clearance I need will come in handy when I'm under the car. I have an air hammer so it should be to hard to make just a little more room under the car.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, when mine did that I just took some bailing wire & a chunk of radiator hose & made a bumper so to speak & tied it on there, LOL. No more bumpin on the floor boards.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

I have some header wrap and clamps laying around. Whats better some 3/4 heater hose or just a cut to fit radiator hose? I was gonna put down some header wrap just so nothing melts.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Mine hit bad too.Solid mounts and nothing hits.Love em.Makes the motor feel so much stronger.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hooker offraod Y pipe did this as well. we took it back off, heated it up, pounded the **** out of it to avoid bending the floorpan. this helped a good bit but we were afraid we were going to punch a hole in it, so I went to thunder racings website and bought a couple of bump stops and this solved the problem. you can also get a crowbar, and while a friend pulls up on it, therefor pushing the pipe down, you can stuff some Torch Guard under there and let it mash against that, and that works well too. anything but bending the floor pans. the problem with my hooker was that the flat spot usually on the driver side is no longer there, they did not think of this when manufacturing I guess. but it all works out. you can always take it to an exhaust shop and have the weld something up to hold the thing down.

Quick Reply: ORY is hitting the floorboards