Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my Vararam Intake /03 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my Vararam Intake /03 Z06

Well i was going to tackle it today and just do the install but after reading that i have to lift the car and no jack, i passed up on it. I took a few pics of it, id hate to think what the prior generations looked like because even though once its on your car and all youll really see is the intake box that says Vararam on it. The plastic will cut you if your not careful, some parts have more adhesive then others, some of the cuts they made are to say the least crooked. The section were the filter sits is a pretty good seal to me doesnt look bad, in the pics i didnt put the rubber seal so the filter is exposed but thats just because the seals are not there. The directions is OK, the pics are terrible as far as directions, just better off looking it up on the computer. When your looking at it you can tell this thing is made to do one thing and do it right and thats to get air into the motor as fast and as effective as possible. So once i get it installed i will let you guys know how it does.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up selling mine because I never could figure out how to install it. After 3 hours and still not being able to get it all lined up I took it back off and boxed it up.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I have had mine on now for a year and it is awesome. I had an all LSX shop do it because I have the same problem. No room in my garage. After the install your car will throw a code in a day or two. I then went back to the same guy and he dyno tuned my car which cleared the code and he eliminated the skip shift also. I couldn't be happier. What a difference.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im gonna have someone install it for me, so far my own mechanic is charging me 150 for the install and thats not gonna happen. Ill have to take it to the dealer i use to work at and have them do it for me. Im sure ill be happy, im talking to a couple of tuners and seeing what my options are so i dont have downtime.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

I had one of these...initially it was ok, but over time the upper box/lid would not stay snug to the two lower pieces. I tried adding more foam insulation etc....The design is good, but vararam did a horrible job on execution, it is a cheap POS...Took it off after a year and went back to my black wing...
Old 06-10-2012, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im probably going to just try it and see what happens. 03Sssnake, sucks about the fitment issue, i know some people have had really bad luck with it and some people have had some goodluck but regardless its really crap build quality no matter how much they say they've improved it. What im gonna do and its not going to be very accurate but im gonna do a acceleration run from 60-120 stock and then another vid with the vararam and see if it made a difference and how much of a difference. Really, my main concern is i have a air injection leak thats inside the intake manifold is what im told by one dealer im not sure if a tune can delete the air injection and that ticking noise will go away or do i have to pull apart the intake manifold and just change it, not sure what to do.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karpetcm
im probably going to just try it and see what happens. 03Sssnake, sucks about the fitment issue, i know some people have had really bad luck with it and some people have had some goodluck but regardless its really crap build quality no matter how much they say they've improved it. What im gonna do and its not going to be very accurate but im gonna do a acceleration run from 60-120 stock and then another vid with the vararam and see if it made a difference and how much of a difference. Really, my main concern is i have a air injection leak thats inside the intake manifold is what im told by one dealer im not sure if a tune can delete the air injection and that ticking noise will go away or do i have to pull apart the intake manifold and just change it, not sure what to do.
You do realize the air injection system has nothing to do with the intake manifold right?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what i didnt get i thought air injection was exhaust right?. He said they had to remove my intake manifold and its some Gasket Kit 12533587 and then a Valve 22040805 but refered it to air injection and had to remove the intake manifold. I questioned him in regards to it but he looked at me and just repeated it over. It also on the invoice or ticket states i need 2 valves at 71.05 each gasket is 118.53. I dont know, i know the noise is coming from the engine bay and it ticks for sure under load.

Seems like its from the passenger side and its pretty much comfirmed its from the passenger side because thats also the side they were looking at during there inspection. Just did a quick search found the intake gasket kit for 50.00 and found each valve for 33.00 lol dealers are rip offs. Now founding out pics and doing some research its a SMOG PUMP check valve here is the pic i think http://shop.stevescamaroparts.com/NO...5-22040805.htm. Cant you just turn off your smog pump? not sure might be a stupid question.

Last edited by karpetcm; 06-10-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm... Pretty simple install imo, took me about an hour the 1st time around. Just nuts bolts and clamps.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
Hmm... Pretty simple install imo, took me about an hour the 1st time around. Just nuts bolts and clamps.
very simple until you try find that the air bridge is pointed no where near the throttle body once you get it all installed.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope the install goes good, now ive heard i have to get a tune since it makes the car run really lean. Which changes things up for me, now i have to get a tune first then do the Vararam, Bridge.

Quick Reply: Got my Vararam Intake /03 Z06