Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catback: Hooker, Magnaflow, Loudmouth II or ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I myself like how loud the LM1 is... Sounds Savage.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

My Magnaflow sounds great. Great balance between loud and subtle at idle.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump for you....

I'm fighting with the same issue -- Hooker vs. Magnaflow. Apparently there's a substantial difference in sound between the standard Hooker exhaust and the Hooker Aerochamber.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Bump for you....

I'm fighting with the same issue -- Hooker vs. Magnaflow. Apparently there's a substantial difference in sound between the standard Hooker exhaust and the Hooker Aerochamber.
I have the Aerochamber (noticed today while changing my PHB). It sounds good, no rasp (catted Y), and can easily hear my music over it. Not much rust either, but I do live in NC.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2win_SS
I myself like how loud the LM1 is... Sounds Savage.
Yeah nothing sounds like the slp. I think my second choice would be a gmmg w / cut out.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Corsa is the best quality of sound, its loud and nice. Its also the most free flowing. If you can get the money for Corsa, DO IT!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jimmy WS6
Corsa is the best quality of sound, its loud and nice. Its also the most free flowing. If you can get the money for Corsa, DO IT!
Its def not the most free flowing. The only thing that will out flow a lm1 is either a cut out or td's.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Captain Double Post

I have had 5 catbacks, and my duals are better in every way, and there was a noticeable gain in power over the magnaflow i had before, with that said my fav catbacks were gmmg (just a great sound with a magnaflow bullet and cats, still loud but thats what i like, borla (loved it,nice deep tone, magnaflow (nice tone,pretty quiet but does still make noise on a cammed car but great for someone that doesnt like loud and likes a nice mellow note, but i will never return to a y pipe setup

Yeah i second the corsa is not the most free flowing, its nice but imo its way overpriced for what it is
Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Best sounding type of exhaust would be a true dual setup.

For a catback type setup, they will sound different depending on what mods you have. Most all fbody guys I know have a heads/cam setup. I've heard just about every type of system on the market. Best overall sound is a gmmg. It's still is a very loud system but the tone quality is second to none. I also like the sound of a Borla or Corsa. They both have a nice tone to them. Other notable systems I think are ok would be the magnaflow and hooker areochamber.

Worst sounding would be a LM1. Just sounds like complete ****. Sure its the loudest if you're competing for loudest system, but also by far the worst sounding tone. A magnaflow or Borla bullet in the I pipe helps it out.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Great topic, i have a loudmouth catback which came w/ the car and i hate it. Nothing at idle then to a rice/trashcan as soon as you step on the gas. It is not a nice sound imo. I am old 45 & like the flowmaster 50 rumble compared to this ricecan but i dont want to pay for another whole system. Can i just cut out the muffler and put something like the hooker in?

Last edited by Carguy8888; 06-16-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Seems like a lot of people are having issues with the quality of hooker and magnaflow fbody catbacks these days, not sure I would go with either of those.
I liked the sound of the aerochamber but I went with GMMG cuz its stainless.

Originally Posted by mjs1012
im gunna say magnaflow because i have one and love it. 1. its stainless 2. no rasp 3. free flowing. 4. Sounds great with lt/ory at WOT
I always wondered about this because of the price, is it real 304 or 409? I boght an slp system for my GTP when I had it & it was stainless too, but 409 & it didnt take long for it to get rusty. I gotta imagine the LM1 is the same for how cheap they are.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cranny
Best overall sound is a gmmg. It's still is a very loud system but the tone quality is second to none. I also like the sound of a Borla or Corsa. They both have a nice tone to them. Other notable systems I think are ok would be the magnaflow and hooker areochamber.

Worst sounding would be a LM1. Just sounds like complete ****. Sure its the loudest if you're competing for loudest system, but also by far the worst sounding tone. A magnaflow or Borla bullet in the I pipe helps it out.
Once you run the gmmg with off road pipes and long tubes it ends up sounding like a loudmouth. Its loud as hell with little tone. Probably more comparable to a lm2 setup than the orginal.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I always wondered about this because of the price, is it real 304 or 409? I boght an slp system for my GTP when I had it & it was stainless too, but 409 & it didnt take long for it to get rusty. I gotta imagine the LM1 is the same for how cheap they are.
Magnaflow uses 409 Stainless for their pipes, tips are 304 Stainless.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sepsis
Here's an in car vid of mine with LT's, ORY and Hooker Aerochamber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLxzveK35SU
That sounds muuuch better. Please pos another vid of your car idiling. Is the Aero about the same size as my loudbag? I dont care about rust it will match the res of the bottom. I hope I can cut one out & weld the other in??? what is LT's, ORY??

Last edited by Carguy8888; 06-16-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Teching In

My vote goes for the TSP Rumbler... all the agressiveness of the LM1 but without the rasp, I had Magnaflow before that and it was too quiet
Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Once you run the gmmg with off road pipes and long tubes it ends up sounding like a loudmouth. Its loud as hell with little tone. Probably more comparable to a lm2 setup than the orginal.

I had a LM1 originally stock, and then went with long tubes and ORY. The sound quickly went from good to bad. Then I switched out the LM1 for a GMMG. They sound nothing alike. I also heard another car with the same headers and ORY with a LM2 and it didn't sound any better in tone quality to the LM1.

The GMMG with the chambered pipes has a distinct tone, but still mean and aggressive. Nothing else sounds anything like it. It sounds as if it's barking at you. The LM1 sounds good only on stock cars. Otherwise, it has the sound some refer to as an old farm truck with a rotted out exhaust and blown out muffler. I think that's an insult to old farm trucks. If you like the LM1 thats cool. Everyone has their own taste. But just going to car shows and fbody get togethers everyone seems to mention how terrible the LM1 sounded. I didn't believe them until I added LT's and ORY. It was embarrassing to show up for a cruise night with that setup. The quality of sound and tone was really really bad. People that don't know cars will tell you it sounds great just because it's loud. Car guys know better and know what a good sounding exhaust should really sounds like.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Bump for you....

What is it?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

When i was going back and forth between hooker and magnaflow i did a lot of research on here.i heard a lot about the tips being to crooked on the magnaflow and personally i think the tips are ugly as hell on the magnaflow. i also found a thread on here where someone posted the flow numbers on a bunch of mufflers and hooker flowed a little better then the magnaflow. also you never here anything really negative on the hooker. so i went with hooker and let me tell you i love it. i have TSP 1 7/8 LT's and 3" ORY with a 111lsa cam and she sounds beautiful! my two cents
Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bramlok
I had a LM1 originally stock, and then went with long tubes and ORY. The sound quickly went from good to bad. Then I switched out the LM1 for a GMMG. They sound nothing alike. I also heard another car with the same headers and ORY with a LM2 and it didn't sound any better in tone quality to the LM1.
It depends on what you like. The LM1 w / off road pipes and long tubes is basically open headers. Its like running an open cut out. You either love the sound or hate it and everyone hears things differently.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:20 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
Great topic, i have a loudmouth catback which came w/ the car and i hate it. Nothing at idle then to a rice/trashcan as soon as you step on the gas. It is not a nice sound imo. I am old 45 & like the flowmaster 50 rumble compared to this ricecan but i dont want to pay for another whole system. Can i just cut out the muffler and put something like the hooker in?
Yes, you can put either a Borla XR1 (40085) or Magnaflow MagnaPack 14419. Magnaflow has a 4" case for better ground clearence, while Borla is a 5" case.

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I liked the sound of the aerochamber but I went with GMMG cuz its stainless.

Actually, the EARLY SLP LM's were 304; The ones with the welded resonators. IDK what the deal is with the new ones.... I think it's a 409 stainless with an aluminized coating, from what I've read.

Quick Reply: Catback: Hooker, Magnaflow, Loudmouth II or ??