Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have screwed my car up so bad I don't even want to drive it!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be in the tune. I had solid motor mounts with my Long tubes and it still banged. I had someone look over my tune and it fixed it.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:49 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
Man if your Y pipe is messed up that bad. I would take that poorly mad POS back to the muffler shop and tell them to fix their shoddy half assed work. That is unacceptable.

Next time just buy quality parts, if you can't pay to play. Then save to pay. This hobby is not cheap and when you try and chintz, it ends up costing you more.
Taking it back to the muffler shop tomorrow. Exhaust is leaking around the flanges they welded on too. I hadn't heard of anyone having any problems with the ebay headers other than a few fitting issues which I didn't have. Definitely gonna save up for a better set of headers too. Maybe I should just ditch the Y pipe altogether and dump the true duals. Should get rid of the banging too.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya ditch the eBay. Go TSP,pacesetter,BBK if u dnt wana break your pocket. and check out TSP duals. Great price nice fit
Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Have a different, and better, exhaust shop fab you a Y-pipe using a 3" Flowmaster merge. Lots on here have gone that route with their custom Y and are more than happy with them.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Post pics/vids.
Make sure the headers are not touching the plug wires and make sure the plug wires are all the way on the plugs and coils.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justin hover
You really should've thought this through alittle... Mmounts 75% of the time are a must, It's easiest to change plugs when the stock manifolds are out. 100$ more and you could've had proven quality headers (pacesetter)..Looks like you wanted to go the cheap route and this is what happens.....Agreed on the rasp eliminating duals though..++ on that....I've had flowmaster and LM and they both hit a nasty rasp at 2k rpm. Now with duals, at 2k rpms it truly sounds like beast with not a hint of rasp.
^hahahahaha, what's wrong with the headers? None of his problems are from the headers bud. I've had eBay's on for 15,000 miles with no problems. His motor mounts are why he's hitting and more than likely his plugs, wires, or knock sensor's are why he's missing. BTW I made 340 rwhp through eBay's, same number as my buddies with Pacesetters.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MFJ
What did it sound like when it happened? If you really want a pic I'll take one, but it doesn't look like anything special to me.

It popped and ran like **** and it had no power.

If your Y doesn't look similar to this, then it's probably not too good.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sepsis
It popped and ran like **** and it had no power.

If your Y doesn't look similar to this, then it's probably not too good.

Can't beat the TSP Y for the money!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

do NOT hate your car lol just be patient. the hitting is most probably motor mounts as everyone said. mine hit too but am living with it till i have some spare time to replace them. i didnt read the whole thread but if its missing bad then its definitely a bad plug (it might look good but still mises)..the leak sound you mentioned could be just normal long tubes tick. dont worry to much. be patient and you will figure it out
Old 07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MFJ
Taking it back to the muffler shop tomorrow. Exhaust is leaking around the flanges they welded on too. I hadn't heard of anyone having any problems with the ebay headers other than a few fitting issues which I didn't have. Definitely gonna save up for a better set of headers too. Maybe I should just ditch the Y pipe altogether and dump the true duals. Should get rid of the banging too.
DO IT, you'll love yourself for it.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you paid less than $130 for that POS 2.5" more more than likely crush bent y-pipe. Get some get some poly motor mounts and a Texas Speed y-pipe. If you Ebay headers fit then there's know reason to replace them.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

It only pops and runs like crap when you get on it in 1st or 2nd. I'm sure it's knock sensors because of the shitty Y that's causing the problems now. My Y pipe doesn't even remotely resemble that one and after looking at a bunch of pics of others Y pipes and how they are routed I know that's the cause of the problem. Mine is touching the torque arm with the car not even under load. I can only imagine how it is bending and hitting with the suspension loaded up.

I will definitely look into the TSP duals. Will this eliminate the rasp?

I have all my wires away from the headers and there aren't any marks on them at all.

I bought the car because I've always wanted a T/A. After the divorce, IRS and a kid in college it's not so easy to just buy everything I want for it, so I have to do it in stages. Unless I convince my son to drop out of college.

Other than the Y pipe I've done all the work on it myself with jacks and jack stands including going into the rear end twice. So I thought it out pretty good, well with the exception of the Y pipe.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fry_
Hope you paid less than $130 for that POS 2.5" more more than likely crush bent y-pipe. Get some get some poly motor mounts and a Texas Speed y-pipe. If you Ebay headers fit then there's know reason to replace them.
Way less than $130. They do a lot of work for my shop. Granted Police cars and Rangers have way more room than F-bodies.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

If they built the ypipe on the car while it was lifted, and they are competent at all, there should be no issue at all with the ypipe hitting the torque arm or anything else. Sounds like their junk design ypipe is not lined up right, causing the exhaust to pull loose somewhere and leak and banging things it shouldnt. I would make them fix it...hell take them pics of REAL ORY's if you need too. I have done that before to the local lack luster exhaust shops and said, "its easy, just do it like this".
Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I think you should put it back to stock.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:06 PM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by moeZ28
If they built the ypipe on the car while it was lifted, and they are competent at all, there should be no issue at all with the ypipe hitting the torque arm or anything else. Sounds like their junk design ypipe is not lined up right, causing the exhaust to pull loose somewhere and leak and banging things it shouldnt. I would make them fix it...hell take them pics of REAL ORY's if you need too. I have done that before to the local lack luster exhaust shops and said, "its easy, just do it like this".
I did exactly that. I printed a bunch of pictures of y pipes and I'm carrying them with me. We'll see what they do. It won't hurt my feelings to go to another muffler shop either. I send them a lot of our business. Everyone makes mistakes. It's how you fix them that really matters.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Put a pic up of your current Y pipe please
Old 07-01-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
DO IT, you'll love yourself for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHC6StKsdcM

This video was recorded.........with a potato.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a brand new gm IAC
Old 07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
MFJ
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by babbage1109
It could be in the tune. I had solid motor mounts with my Long tubes and it still banged. I had someone look over my tune and it fixed it.
I have two ECM's. One from Frost and the other is stock tuned. It does the same with both of them.

Quick Reply: I have screwed my car up so bad I don't even want to drive it!!