Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing TSP 1 7/8" Headers next week

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey OP, I am about to go pretty much exactly are you listed (Soon...lol when plastic allows)

Why not add a 160 t-stat, since you will need to get tuned anyway?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good plan you've put together.

Good call on the poly motor mounts...I'm kicking myself for not taking care of that when I have the chance. Getting tired of them rubbing on tight turns, etc. so I'll definitely need to go back in to change them.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxKennyDxx
Hey OP, I am about to go pretty much exactly are you listed (Soon...lol when plastic allows)

Why not add a 160 t-stat, since you will need to get tuned anyway?
Yeah, it's not cheap! But because I read up on it, and this idea seems logical, but running an engine on a cooler temperature isn't necessarily better (performance/efficiency). Meaning... the only part you really want cool is the incoming air temperature. When it comes to the motor, you want that relatively warm(>160 deg). Before a 160 deg thermostat, I'd getter a better radiator. Just my .02!

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Good plan you've put together.

Good call on the poly motor mounts...I'm kicking myself for not taking care of that when I have the chance. Getting tired of them rubbing on tight turns, etc. so I'll definitely need to go back in to change them.
Thank you sir. Trying to do everything once and right to this car. Not too excited about poly's, but I don't wanna complain about rubs
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by idle
Yeah, it's not cheap! But because I read up on it, and this idea seems logical, but running an engine on a cooler temperature isn't necessarily better (performance/efficiency). Meaning... the only part you really want cool is the incoming air temperature. When it comes to the motor, you want that relatively warm(>160 deg). Before a 160 deg thermostat, I'd getter a better radiator. Just my .02!

Thank you sir. Trying to do everything once and right to this car. Not too excited about poly's, but I don't wanna complain about rubs
Agreed. I got my LT1 Radiator for 100 bucks brand new at Advance. I found a small crack in my LS1 rad, and I was installing the Chrs1313 RA at the time, so best of both. I live in southern Louisiana and still run a stock T-Stat, with no plans to change.

They won't be bad if you take your time and keep a clear head. If you can get a jack under the oil pan and get it good and balanced, you can move the motor around under the car with one hand. Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply: Installing TSP 1 7/8" Headers next week