Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of my used Vengace 'ported' FAST 92 I just bought...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ The LS6 intake is just a one piece, so it's unlikely to have rough spots. The FAST intakes are left slightly "Cast-rough" so people like us can massage them to fit many different applications. The ridges come from when pieces are mated together. My 102 base fit my 243 heads almost exactly, so I didn't need to do much there, but the runners had a nasty lip when mated to the lower. So I took a cartridge roll to it just to smooth it out. Not to mention the sharp edges on the runners and other pieces inside the intake. That's all it really needs, until you start port matching. Unless you have a flow bench, I really wouldn't try to straighten any runners out.

Mamo and Vengence have a lot of experience with this stuff, so there's a reason why they do what they do. A piece doesn't need to be "hogged out" to increase performance.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you guys think fast/wilson is gona cast them with that wedge if it was somthing like 15 or even 5 whp. Theres alot more to the manifold then that wedge. The runner size and taper are gona have somthing to do with gains. On all diffrent sized motor and heads setups. And it not gona be just removing a wedge and bouncing a sand roll around the end of the runner for a few seconds and claiming its been ported to "work"
Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a challenge for GM high tech performance magazine to me. Let us all write the editor?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
you guys think fast/wilson is gona cast them with that wedge if it was somthing like 15 or even 5 whp. Theres alot more to the manifold then that wedge. The runner size and taper are gona have somthing to do with gains. On all diffrent sized motor and heads setups. And it not gona be just removing a wedge and bouncing a sand roll around the end of the runner for a few seconds and claiming its been ported to "work"
I did not mean to imply that at all. I was just pointing out the confusion people seamed to have that the OP's ported intake "just had some body rough it up a little" and "didn't remove any material".

I assume the wedge was in place so that the air velocity is high enough on a stock car to help keep mid rpm power in place. It's too large to be a casting flaw.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If someone wants to send me a non ported 92mm fast intake I'll put it up against my vengeance ported 92mm and show the results on my car back to back on the same day on our dyno.

I am interested in seeing it myself.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ The LS6 intake is just a one piece, so it's unlikely to have rough spots. The FAST intakes are left slightly "Cast-rough" so people like us can massage them to fit many different applications. The ridges come from when pieces are mated together. My 102 base fit my 243 heads almost exactly, so I didn't need to do much there, but the runners had a nasty lip when mated to the lower. So I took a cartridge roll to it just to smooth it out. Not to mention the sharp edges on the runners and other pieces inside the intake. That's all it really needs, until you start port matching. Unless you have a flow bench, I really wouldn't try to straighten any runners out.

Mamo and Vengence have a lot of experience with this stuff, so there's a reason why they do what they do. A piece doesn't need to be "hogged out" to increase performance.

For a hunk of $5 plastic being sold for nearly $1,000. You would think you wouldnt have to go through all that "extra" work.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So what did everyone that disassembled their FAST intake torque the 3 front and 3 rear short bolts to when they reassembled it, and did you use blue loctite?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

You can't expect to get a lot of time invested for a $150 "port match", so I don't see what there is to complain about. A valvejob on a set of heads typically runs only $200-300 but that's where most of your gains will be found.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Im sorry to see that you seem dissapointed with your purchase... I would suggest installing the intake as is and dyno testing and/or track testing your vehicle. Then send the intake to the porter of your choice and have them remove as much material as possible and port every square inch of the intake manifold and then return it to you for dyno/track testing again.. I believe you will be surprised as to the results.....

FWIW, we sell ported 102s for $999.99 and the CHEAPEST you can find an unported 102mm intake is $849.00.. So we are collecting $150.00 for our port work.. I do not believe the "look" can be compared to other companies $500.00 + port jobs that have NOT been proven to outperform ours...

So what gains is your porting over a none ported one?
I can see you want to say its NOT been proven to outperform a $500 port, How much DOSE your porting gain for $150?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
For a hunk of $5 plastic being sold for nearly $1,000. You would think you wouldnt have to go through all that "extra" work.
You can say the same thing about a set of cylinder heads that cost 2 grand. It's just part of the game.

Quick Reply: Pics of my used Vengace 'ported' FAST 92 I just bought...