Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall size for Ms3 cam for DD

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have a stock transmission with my converter. I plan on having torque management reduced. You don't want to completely remove it. Get a cooler if you don't have one and a trans temp gauge or aeroforce interceptor. You could get a deep pan but not necessary.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could probably get rid of TM for the 1-2 shift. Or atleast reduce it alot. 2-3 shift i wouldnt be so aggressive with though.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
I'll have a stock transmission with my converter. I plan on having torque management reduced. You don't want to completely remove it. Get a cooler if you don't have one and a trans temp gauge or aeroforce interceptor. You could get a deep pan but not necessary.

I was told differently by a prominent tuner here on the board, Phil from Tampa Tuning.

With a proper tune and line pressures, the tqm can be completely removed and the trans can be tuned to run normally under normal driving conditions and can be more aggressive under hard acceleration.

I believe that's what he said, but you can ask him directly.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Somewhat correct, but much easier to do with the 6l80 transmission. There far far more tables to develop strategy for transmission performance on the “new A6” that's really not new anymore.

The A4 transmission has about 20 tables that I address for tuning.

The A6 has about 275. It takes about 45 minutes, but to get my baseline transmission tune in before I customize it for the client since everyone likes their transmission to shift slightly different than the next driver.
With the A6 through the torque adder table, I can make the A6 shift quick and firm in both modes for cruising and "normal" part throttle driving, and then hard, fast and chirp at WOT.

Both modes, D and M I can make a his and hers for the married guys. I really like the A6 when tuned, its just a PITA getting there lol. Some of the A6s seem to have a mind of their own, and you can’t just cut and paste them to work.

The A4 doesn’t have the same adder platform, but does have some flexibility, but not like the A6. A4 does have Normal and performance tables, but the performance tables are mostly max'd out already for pressure and Shift MPH. I can soften up shifts in one mode by making them come one earlier and the performance tables make it shift later to carry inertia and make it harder shift.
Not to confuse the torque management with traction control. I don’t like removing traction control parameters because you can turn that on and off as needed.

That's different that TqMgt where GM schedules how much power it wants your vehicle to have at certain power levels. Tuners don’t like that. We want you to have all your power whenever you want all your power. Traction control I look at as a safety issue that the driver should control.
I can use the TqMgt to assist very high horsepower vehicle with traction out of the hole, then remove it once moving down the track.

Stalls, great for digging out of the hole, if to large, not as fun cruising because they are stalling your RPMs, slipping around if you will. sometimes you just have to pick your evils lol

that's Phil's little 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Phil. Very informative post.

I knew you could do some stuff, I just couldn't remember all of the information you gave.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

My tuner eliminated TM 2 years ago-no problems.
You will be pleased with your converter. I had a 3800 for years and wanted more-now I do

Get a pan from a truck for your trans as well.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason I said it may be better to not remove it completely was from posts like these:

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
TM backs timing off when the tranny shifts which helps the clutches grab.The problem with tottally deleting it on a stock tranny is that you might burn the clutches down alot faster.When I tune a stock tranny I will delete 80% of TM and raise line pressure.Seems to help the tranny last a long life.
Originally Posted by CoolAid
In this final section we will deal with Torque Management...For those that dont know TM is something GM added to the tune to dial back the engine timing during shifts and also add a shift time delay. This helps protect the trans from breakage but also makes for slow shifts...I personally dont recommend more than a 50% reduction of TM on a stock trans. Some people go further. 75% is fairly common and some even pull it out all together 100%. As far as a built trans, let it all hang out. Thats what they are for. On my trans I have it pulled out 100% since it is built to take the abuse. As far as how much YOU should pull out, well thats up to your personal preference. Do some research and be careful with your decisions
Rather than quoting a bunch from this thread this one has a lot of good info too: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...tem-4l60e.html

Just wanted to put it out there, it really probably depends on how you're driving the car and lots of other variables.

Quick Reply: Stall size for Ms3 cam for DD