Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT Sensor Placment In A CAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get the black piping?? I would like to test this out.

I might try and Y in both of my fog light to this..
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I might try and tie it back into this lil box i put together a while back.

What is that going to help? The intake you just designed is THE BEST intake for the car. You aren't going to be able to force any more air into the intake manifold. I need to get a 4" velocity stack for mine too, is that the BLOX one off ebay?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Where did you get the black piping?? I would like to test this out.

I might try and Y in both of my fog light to this..
Its just an aluminum bend I ordered online. I had the dumvel. stack welded to the bend then i powder coated it. dumI polished the upper half.

Originally Posted by djfury05
What is that going to help? The intake you just designed is THE BEST intake for the car. You aren't going to be able to force any more air into the intake manifold. I need to get a 4" velocity stack for mine too, is that the BLOX one off ebay?
Not sure was just something I started a while back. Ill just stick with the velocity stack setup.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having to redo my IAT now because of the heat soak.. Showed my tuner and he told me to move it away from the heat ..I'm just going to put the IAT next to the Air Filter . So I bought an IAT Extension 36"

Thank you for posting up the pictures I'm going to do something like this and see what I come up with.. I will post pictures when I'm done.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
I'm having to redo my IAT now because of the heat soak.. Showed my tuner and he told me to move it away from the heat ..I'm just going to put the IAT next to the Air Filter . So I bought an IAT Extension 36"

Thank you for posting up the pictures I'm going to do something like this and see what I come up with.. I will post pictures when I'm done.
No problem. I'll be extending the IAT plug today. I'll put it close to the velocity stack. Thanks for the info along with everyone else who gave some advice on where to place the IAT.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
all you have done, is feed the pcm false info....it's calculating fuel and spark based on bogus input....
I have to speak up here. This is an inaccurate statement. I've seen on multiple instances where moving the IAT sensor to a spot not subject to heat soak has improved the consistency of a tune. If you've spent any significant time data logging an LSx f-body, you'd know that as the cars sit in traffic and IAT's rise due to heat soak, fueling begins to lean out. Moving the IAT sensor to a point behind the front bumper cover that stays dry depsite weather conditions and reports actual underhood temps virtually eliminates the lean issues.

The reason why the cars go lean is heat soak. The real false data is the data when the IAT is reporting warmer air than the engine is receiving because the surrounding plastic is retaining and radiating heat. Warmer air has less O2 density, therefore a lower fuel demand. So, if the PCM presumes less O2 to burn but more actually exists because the IAT is wrong, you get a lean condition.

Let's not forget, the tune already accounts for changes in intake temps from point of entry to delivery to the cylinders by blending the IAT temps with the coolant temps based on airflow. So, accurate data is more important than putting a sensor in a certain spot just because that's where the OEM decided to put it.

Quick Reply: IAT Sensor Placment In A CAI