Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much AC Compressor Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much AC Compressor Oil?

I've searched a long time but I can't find a for sure answer. How much oil is supposed to be in the compressor when I install it? My Chilton's manual says just put the same amount that came out of the old compressor which doesn't help me at all.

The compressor that I bought from Autozone is a Murray. It says that it comes with oil already in it. But it also says that I need to make sure that the correct amount is in there??? Dumb... why can't it just tell me how much!!!

Also... where exactly do you put the oil into? This is a little more complicated than I thought... I need more booze...

Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

9 ounces of PAG 150 wt.......put half in the suction side......where the S is....other half in the a/c dryer......in the hose that leads to the suction side
Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks so much I'll go look at it to see what you're talking about. Am I supposed to take the oil out that's already in there? So am I still doing this while the compressor is out?

Maybe once I look at it I'll answer my own question...

Last edited by chewybacca11; 07-31-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Spelling... AGAIN
Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

I saw the "S" Am I literally pouring oil into the compressor hole by the "S"? And then... the hose that attaches to the "S" side?

Thanks again
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Ok I'm headed to Autozone to get PAG oil. I have the compressor upside down and there is not one drop leaking out... even if I spin it a little bit.

Is there a special way to get the oil out? Or does it sound like there was just none in there? If there is none in there... good thing I didn't just install it!!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

if none came out i would not worry about it
Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Ok so I put in like 4.5 ounces in the "S" side of the compressor. When I tried to put some in the line it didn't want to go in at all so I put in as much as I could (very little) and then poured maybe another ounce in the compressor. Then I was able to button everything up everything fine and start the car to make sure the belt was on fine. I also turned the compressor by hand about 10 times like the instructions said.

Do I just have to put a vacuum and recharge it? How is my oil situation?

BTW for more background on what I did... my compressor failed and seized, so I installed a new one. I installed a new drier(old one cracked) within the last 4 months. Other than that... I haven't touched the rest of the system.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

you did flush the system out at some point? no?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You can put the remainder in the condenser from what I am told. I was never successful in getting the full 8 ozs in any compressor....though sometimes spinning the pulley will suck some more in.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

Nope no flushing done... My book didn't say to do it.

How do you put some more in the condenser?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:54 AM
Staging Lane

Is it too late to make uh the flushie? Can I do it with the compressor on?
Old 08-01-2012, 05:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

When I replaced a condenser I just poured it in there. It all circulates anyway so I figured what could it hurt?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

if you fried the compressor....there would be lots of trash in the system....you would change your orifice tube and flush the lines and condenser out to get rid of the trash that a fried compressor put in it.......failure to do so would circulate all that crap thru the system and trash the new compressor
Old 08-01-2012, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
When I replaced a condenser I just poured it in there. It all circulates anyway so I figured what could it hurt?
I agree. I would put the recommended amount in the compressor but if not, as long as it's in the system it should be ok.

Also. If the compressor just locked up there is a chance the system is still relatively clean. The orifice tube would be the easiest way to check that. If you look at it and see that metallic star dust you're fucked sooner or later.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

My compressor was squealing really bad when it was on for months. Then I noticed the other day that the squealing went away... about 10 minutes after it stopped there was no more cold air blowing. THEN... when I turned it on again to see if it had fixed itself... there was a REALLY bad squealing noise and the car started to stall... so I turned it off right away and haven't turned it on since. I'll check the orifice tube right now thanks...
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you didn't flush the system completly, you're gonna be buying another new compressor before long. There are lots of pieces of trash in the system from the failed compressor and it will fill the new compressor as soon as you charge the system with freon.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

UPDATE

So I've learned some things the hard way...

First after I installed the new compressor and added oil... I charged it and it took a TON of refrigerant. Like more than 2 pounds. It ran cold for a day and stopped working.

I've been trusting my GF's dad who does ac stuff (non-automotive) and that's been not working well. He kept having me buy more refrigerant and we kept trying to get it to work but it would always fail. I've spent about 90 dollars in refrigerant so far (about 4 different charges) and it's been sucky. When he hooked up his ac manifold, the psi seemed low. So he started to add refrigerant (got up to a pound MORE than what I had put in) The pressure got so high that the compressor seized and the clutch slipped and smoked and sparked like crazy! UGHHHHHHHHHHHH! He realized that he screwed up and let out some refrigerant.

We finally pulled out the orifice tube and it was totally nasty with metal in it. I asked him at that point if I should flush the system and he said no because the orifice tube acts like a filter and that's the only place where the crap would be. Sooooooo I trusted him. I bought a new one... threw it in... the ac was cold for a little while... and then crapped out... AGAIN.

So I've finally decided to bite the bullet and spend the money that I should have. I just took everything apart again. I took the condenser out because I'm gonna replace it. I took the compressor out because I'm going to replace it (gonna use the warranty and say that it has a defective clutch... which it does) And after I install those two tomorrow I have an appointment on Friday to have the system flushed, vacuumed, and recharged. WOOOOOOO!

If that doesn't fix it... I'll staple my ***** to the floor. Wish me luck!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

I STAPLED MY ***** TO THE FLOOR:

I did everything right. Installed the new compressor (re manufactured), new drier, new condenser, new seals, proper oil, and then took it to the AC shop to have it flushed evacuated and charged.

WELL........ the guy called me and said that the compressor is making noise and wants me to hear it. I figured that it was a lil' whine or something small. When I got there and he turned it on for me... it was LOUUUUUD and obviously a bad compressor. Imagine... the sound that a cordless drill makes when you hold the front of it tight and press the trigger. You know that sound it makes when it's slipping? Well it was like that but way louder.

The guy offered to take back the refrigerant and that if I did that he wouldn't charge me for it (super cool of him) so I did that. My bill was 170 bucks... basically for just a flush!!!

I get home... rip it apart... and the orifice tube is filled with metal flakes... AGAIN!!! ALREADY!!! The compressor, in the less than two minutes that it was on, was immediately destroying my bran new condenser, drier, and my BRAN NEW flush! I called the AC guy and agreed that it was the new compressor. He said that I should try to get Checkers to give me new parts since it was the compressor's fault. He also offered to flush everything for free if I had the parts out of the car (super cool of him again!)

After 4 days of hell with Checkers... they gave me free parts and oil. And then after waiting to use my GF's Dad's manifold and vacuum... I JUST now evacuated it and refilled it myself. So far... it's cold as ***** (cold ***** of course) and as long as there are no leaks... it should last!

I'm planning on doing a writeup on this AC process. I definitely learned some tips and tricks and can answer the questions that I had in the beginning.

Last edited by chewybacca11; 08-21-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Forgot stufffff
Old 08-21-2012, 03:52 AM
Staging Lane

BTW... it didn't work that time because no one wished me luck from my last post...
The following users liked this post:
CAllbert15 (04-03-2023)

Quick Reply: How much AC Compressor Oil?