Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with Crank Shaft Bolt!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Crank Shaft Bolt!!!!!!!!

Hey guy, im on my second balancer on my 98 ls1, the first stock one i used with my ati blower pulley attached to it and used their supplied bolt and torqued it to spec and it still loosened up. now i got an ati fluid damper with on their and today i was checking things over and it to meaning the bolt loosened up again and i even used lock tight. the things i know are to use a new bolt every time you install a crank pulley and also torque it to spec. i know the threads in the crank are perfect to. what the hell can i do to keep this damn bolt from coming loose.

Thanks- Kyle
Old 04-05-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the old bolt to pull on the new pulley...

Replace with a new bolt and torque it down.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those GM bolts have a coating of locktite on the underside of their builtin flat washer. That helps hold them in place once the flat washer face is bucking up against the snout of the crank. If you use an aftermarket bolt it won't have the same builtin flatwasher or the locktite it comes with, but that doesn't mean you can't use one without positive results. Try using a longer bolt like a 120mmX16mmX2mm.