Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator, battery replaced, no charging. 1 loose red wire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Alternator, battery replaced, no charging. 1 loose red wire?

I just replaced both the battery and the alternator in my wife`s `98 Trans Am and it still is not charging. I noticed though that when I installed the new alternator, I only had the main positive wire that I had to disconnect. I noticed a red wire hanging loose above the alternator, but am not sure if this is supposed to connect to the alternator?? If so, would that keep it from charging?
On another note, this was a difficult install for just an alternator. I wish they mounted these on the top of the engine like the LT1.
Thanks.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes, that is an exciter wire and it must be connected or the alternator will not "turn on". The computer controls this wire.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Nice. I must`ve pulled it out of it`s connector when I removed the alternator. I see now there is a 4 conductor connector plug in the old alternator. I am assuming that wire is supposed to connect to one of them? Can it be resoldered back on?
Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be able to pick up a new connector from autozone for a few bucks. it will come with the connector and some length of wire. just attatch it to the existing wire and call it a day.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^yep, I'd try to locate another plug, whether new or used. Though, the plugs in a harness aren't hard to fix. They usually require a set of dental picks or a paperclip. You basically remove the weatherpak section (inserted rubber grommet) then from the other side insert a straight pick to release the square connector section, it will pull out of the backside while you are holding the release clip down. Once removed, you can attach any wire you like to it, then simply re-insert it back the way it came out and re-install the grommet and its as good as new.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys! I decided to try what you said 01SSred, and resoldered the wire to the connector inside the housing. I had to use a small paper clip to get the metal connector out. But I put everything back together and its running like new again.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Alternator, battery replaced, no charging. 1 loose red wire?