Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! Cant get motor running

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked again last night and there is actually three ground wires behind the driver side head. I just didn't remember.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 81cuttysupreme
If the engine does start it only runs for a few seconds. But it has actually been a while since it has started. I would say it hasnt started in the last 10 start attempts. I did check the positive side of the injector plugs tonight, one on each side. The voltage did drop down into the 10's during the start, but I would imagine this is normal.

I also checked the harness grounds again. There are 3 of them connected to the driver side head, and my vom shows a closed loop to the firewall, 0.3ohms.

So i feel like i'm still trying to find out why the injectors quit pulsing. Is it possible to back probe the wires at the ecm? Do the plastic covers pull off? Can you check the crank signal with a VOM? or is it too fast of a pulse?
Try using another battery and jumper cables, so the voltage doesn't drop into the 10's while you're cranking it.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you check the crank signal with a VOM? or is it too fast of a pulse?
You'd need an oscilloscope to monitor CKP signal accurately...if your tach is showing any RPM at all during cranking, you have CKP signal.

This sounds like a VATS issue as stated above.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I would think most people,s voltage is going to drop during the start, just from the starter drawing so much.

I have had the vats checked twice. The tuner pulled it up on hp tuners and looked at it and it showed vats off. Is it possible for it to show vats off but for the vats still shut down the injectors? I wish someone had a similar set up near me then I could see if my computer could run their car. I know someone with a stock fbody but I don't think my computer would work with his set up. Mine is tuned for a big cam, 60 lb injectors and boost. Any chance my ECM would run his car?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible for it to show vats off but for the vats still shut down the injectors?
Yes.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...t-baffled.html
There are others who have experienced the same. I'm not saying that this is positively the trouble, but it sure looks that way.

You could try contacting John @ Speartech, or Steve @ Tuned By Frost.

If you decide not to go that route, try this.
Here is an inexpensive VATS bypass sig generator. Whether the ECM appears to be on or off is of no consequence. Just hook up the generator, and it will send the correct sig to the ECM to enable fuel pulsing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-VATS-or-P...069889&vxp=mtr
Old 10-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Teching In

did you ever get this straightened out?

Quick Reply: Need Help! Cant get motor running