Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another fast 102 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another fast 102 question

Yep, I know how tired everyone is getting of hearing fast 102 questions. I'm in the middle of my intake swap, and so far its going well (knock on wood). Getting the stock intake off was like pulling teeth, so I know that putting the new one on will be worse.

For those of you who have done this swap yourself, did you install the intake and then the fuel rails? I just foresee it being impossible to torque down the rear bolts with the fuel rails on. I'm running some nasty performance fuel rails with my new manifold, so they're actually even bigger than the FAST ones (judging from pictures). Whats worse...is I have my new intake painted all nice and shiney so I CAN'T bang it up.

Any input is appreciated!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sam95transam
Yep, I know how tired everyone is getting of hearing fast 102 questions. I'm in the middle of my intake swap, and so far its going well (knock on wood). Getting the stock intake off was like pulling teeth, so I know that putting the new one on will be worse.

For those of you who have done this swap yourself, did you install the intake and then the fuel rails? I just foresee it being impossible to torque down the rear bolts with the fuel rails on. I'm running some nasty performance fuel rails with my new manifold, so they're actually even bigger than the FAST ones (judging from pictures). Whats worse...is I have my new intake painted all nice and shiney so I CAN'T bang it up.

I am hoping to do mine while the motor is still out of the car. glad i saw this post to alert me to do so. good luck.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sam95transam

install the fuel rails while the intake is outside, it'd be way more easier.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Good Question, Iv'e installed a few fast 102's on f-Bodies, the Instructions will tell you to put the fuel rails on first but Personally Iv'e found it so much easier installing the rails after the intake cause it is a bitch to torque the rear bolts with the rails on, Just my Opinion though

-----------------------------------------------
00 Formula, SS3600,PRC 5.3 S.2.5,228R, PORTED FAST102/102TB
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Teching In

I installed the fuel rails outside of the car, I was more worried about not getting the injectors seated correctly. Then used the bolts supplied with the manifold instead of the stock bolts and cut an Allan wrench down to the length needed so that I could get my torque wrench and socket on the Allan wrench, while being over the fuel rail and still under the cowl. When you go to put the manifold in make sure you set the back 4 bolts into the manifold and use a piece of tubing cut down the side to hold the bolts up, so they aren't sticking out of the bottom. You can't put the back ones in once the manifold is set in place because the cowl is in the way. From there its just a bit of patience trying to get them all torqued down.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackbirdofprey
Good Question, Iv'e installed a few fast 102's on f-Bodies, the Instructions will tell you to put the fuel rails on first but Personally Iv'e found it so much easier installing the rails after the intake cause it is a bitch to torque the rear bolts with the rails on, Just my Opinion though
This is EXACTLY what I'm thinking. The biggest trouble I had today was getting the bolts out that are most tucked away under the cowl, and that was mainly due to the fact that they're sorta seated in that valley between the fuel rails and the intake.

On a side note...what did everyone do as far as the MAP location? Rear mount like stock? Is it THAT tight of a fit? I know there is a fast 102 thread going...just kinda curious of your opinion also.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put the rails on the intake then installed. No problems here. Oh on an F ody. Intake was painted as well. No chips dings or annything. Dont get me wrong its a PITA but worth it. Good luck
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Map on the back, point it up. I used a piece of timing cover gasket and a washer to hold it in. It ain't that tight,and I kept the air system.

I put the rails on outside and the injectors were the reason for me. I bought a tiny open ratchet for 1/4" bits...this is the only way I will do it in the future, but it is still 1.5 bitches. Again though, I kept AIR, so less room.

Ratchet was toolwerks brand from advance.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Oh, and your stock intake removal will soon be a fond memory of better times. But she'll breathe.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

OK, I've mentioned it twice so I thought I post a couple of pics. I was stoked as hell when I found this little thing because it is a PITA to get to those bolts. The wrench is sold by itself, you also need the 5mm bit. Notice the wrench is reversible, which is nice.

Under the rail:

One other word to the wise: If your heads are new be sure and chase the threads for the intake bolts. . .they are a PITA if you cannot turn them most of the way by hand.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

That ratchet is the ****.

I guess I'll be installing the rails before I put the intake on. I'll post of some pics of my intake **** tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

so where did you get that little ratchet ?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

Advance. The ratchet is a POS, but I would buy two or three if I had to, those shcs are a bitch. Talk to me when you're done.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep posting im about to do this swap to
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Work on the car has been slow this week...i've been slammed in the office. Hopefully I'll be able to finish up the install this weekend.

Could I temporarily run this intake without a tune? I'm currently running patriot heads, and custom grind TSP cam and it was tuned for the LS6 intake. I'll hopefully have it tuned in the next week, but it would be nice to take it out a couple of times to see how it runs. Of course, I wouldn't be running it at WOT.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Oh, and here is a crappy picture just for a sneak peak!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Oh, and your stock intake removal will soon be a fond memory of better times. But she'll breathe.
I've never had an issue with the stock intakes. Not sure why people have such a hard time with them. Found them pretty easy to take out and re-install. And a small 3/8" torque wrench fit perfectly in there too... But after dealing with the 102 and NO ROOM for ANYTHING, you almost become envious of stock cars because of all the room they still have.

I did my rails first then installed the intake.. But swapped rails a month later. Was a pain, but wasn't bad, so I did it both ways.

And the tip to torquing the intake with the rails on it to sit the socket on the intake bolt first, then put the TQ wrench on there but don't click the socket onto the wrench. Let it sit in there enough to torque it, but leave the socket on the intake all the way. IMO, I'd rather have the wrench fall off the socket then strip an intake bolt.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Got everything in yesterday. everything is wired up and ready to go. I cut the ignition on and fuel is gushing from my nasty performance fuel rails. I guess I'll be calling nate about this monday for advice.

I posted in the Fuel section, but anyone in here had this problem before?
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 AM
On The Tree

Update...

Got the issue with the fuel rails resolved! After chasing fuel leaks here and there, I finally got a chance to crank her up.

I cranked up the car and it automatically revved to around 3k rpm, but came down pretty quick. It ran pretty rough, and I discovered a hose that had not been reconnected during the install process. I cranked it back up, revved high again, and came back down and idled at around 1k rpm or just under...which seemed consistent with my current tune. I let it sit and idle for probably 3-4 minutes while I cleaned up my tools and then all of a sudden it revved to around 3k again, but slowly backed down to about 2k rpm where it seemed to stay.

I didn't see any other vacuum lines disconnected, and the tps seems to be installed correctly. Any other ideas? It seems to me like my intake could be leaking, but there was a stent for several minutes where it idled just fine so idk. What do you guys think?

I guess I'll stop and get some carb cleaner on the way home.