Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped from LS6 to FAST 102...now have idle problems...UPDATED!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

Naw....I ain't gonna rick roll ya...lol

What I did was remove the tb. Scuff up next to the tb blade. Put wax on the tb blade and epoxy around the back of the bottom and the front of the top. It don't take much, the wax will allow the epoxy to release off the blade. trim excess and sand up a little. It will idle fine after that.

I have a cheap ebay tb that works perfect now.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Did you adjust the TB blade stop? They don't just bolt on perfect out of the box and feed the engine the correct amount of air needed. I had to make several adjustments on my 95mm before it would run on its own.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to sound stupid, but I didn't adjust it at all...because I couldn't figure out how to. The stock TB has a set screw but this PPS one doesn't have anything like that at all- its all kinda internal. In fact, the piece that the throttle cable hooks to looks sideways compared to the other TBs I've seen which is really strange. I didn't know it was like this when I ordered it.

I took the intake off and reinstalled it after work today. I inspected it for cracks and re-sealed the top and bottom shell. Even tightened the MAP and added some RTV around that. Judging by the paint on the bottom of the front lip of the intake, it doesn't appear that it was hitting the water pump at all. Before I took it all apart again, I cranked it up for a few minutes and as you would expect, it idled consistent for a couple of minutes and then it started climbing. I didn't think to unplug the IAC as someone mentioned. If that is the culprit, how would I expect it to react (IF I don't have a leak somewhere)?
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
12 Second Club

Have you tried resetting the TPS by unplugging it, turning the key to run for about 30 seconds then off and plug TPS back in? Do you have access to a scan tool to tell you throttle position voltage and IAC counts? It seems the IAC is searching maybe due to inaccurate TPS voltage or or needing blade adjusted and bringing IAC counts into normal idle range. The again, I'm very tired and may not be reading correctly or making sense...lol
Old 08-27-2012, 10:24 PM
12 Second Club

May also want to break out the good old voltmeter and start checking to see if you broke a TPS wire,MAF wire or IAC wire. MAF should throw a code though.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Violatorno1
Have you tried resetting the TPS by unplugging it, turning the key to run for about 30 seconds then off and plug TPS back in? Do you have access to a scan tool to tell you throttle position voltage and IAC counts? It seems the IAC is searching maybe due to inaccurate TPS voltage or or needing blade adjusted and bringing IAC counts into normal idle range. The again, I'm very tired and may not be reading correctly or making sense...lol
I did try relearning the TPS. When I went to advance I noticed the TPS was reading 0% at idle, so I think we're good there. Here are three two codes it threw..

PO122 (TPS low voltage)
PO412 (secondary air injection switching valve a circuit)
PO507 (iac system revolutions per minute higher than expected)

I'll probably get everything put back on this afternoon when I get off work, so if that doesn't work I suppose I'll try a new IACV. If THAT isn't it...then I'm fugged lol
Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

I had the same on my 90 Fast. Ended up it was not tightened up enough to seal to the head. Once I put in new manifold gaskets, and had to tighten the bolts really tight, in sequence. Ended up way tighter than factory tq specs. This solved the problem for me. Use new gaskets.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Same exact problem when I switched to my FAST setup.....after a tune it was all back to normal. Just be sure and tell them what it's doing or have them street tune it. Any half decent tuner can smooth that idle out in a couple hours.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

has anyone had a problem like this switching from ls1 to ls6 intake?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 884 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Naw....I ain't gonna rick roll ya...lol

What I did was remove the tb. Scuff up next to the tb blade. Put wax on the tb blade and epoxy around the back of the bottom and the front of the top. It don't take much, the wax will allow the epoxy to release off the blade. trim excess and sand up a little. It will idle fine after that.

I have a cheap ebay tb that works perfect now.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

I bought new gaskets with the intake, so they should be fine.

I yanked the intake back off, checked it and bolted it back on...only this time it is hitting the water pump. WTF...I wasn't hitting it the first time, so I guess I just torqued it down more this time. Geez...I need to just not touch my car for like a week or else I'm gonna chunk this fvcking thing into the street!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sam95transam
I bought new gaskets with the intake, so they should be fine.

I yanked the intake back off, checked it and bolted it back on...only this time it is hitting the water pump. WTF...I wasn't hitting it the first time, so I guess I just torqued it down more this time. Geez...I need to just not touch my car for like a week or else I'm gonna chunk this fvcking thing into the street!
So it was hitting somewhere else before then. Might have found your problem
Old 09-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Did you ever resolve your issue?

Quick Reply: Swapped from LS6 to FAST 102...now have idle problems...UPDATED!!