Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas speed duals vs SLP loudmouth sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Headers, Y pipe, I pipe, and a cat back will never sound as good as headers and true duals...nuff said. End of story.
Heard a gmmg with headers and it sounded way better than tds w/ magnaflow mufflers.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
Heard a gmmg with headers and it sounded way better than tds w/ magnaflow mufflers.
Im very familar with gmmg read my sig...it is a nice but over priced cat back to say the least..I'll still take TD + TD = more HP
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

a GMMG sounds decent with cats (still over rated IMO) and with LTs and an offroad Y pipe they sound horrible
Old 10-02-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
a GMMG sounds decent with cats (still over rated IMO) and with LTs and an offroad Y pipe they sound horrible
I call gmmg/ory the lm3
Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is everyone's opinion on a slp loudmouth catback with a chambered powerstick muffler in the I and resonators before the tips? I'm thinking of trying this being that its a way cheaper alternative to a full length true dual system.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Duals duals duals duals!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is the volume difference between LTs, orX, duals and LTs, ory, lm1?

Say duals with dynomax bullets or the kooks true dual.

Never heard a dual car in person...have heard the LM setups (with and without headers, ory) and a single dumped bullet off an ory.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cknoma2005
What is everyone's opinion on a slp loudmouth catback with a chambered powerstick muffler in the I and resonators before the tips? I'm thinking of trying this being that its a way cheaper alternative to a full length true dual system.
I can't see this being much cheaper. You can buy the duals, and have them extended for probably the same price.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 AM
Launching!

ok if sound dont get you on duals then look at the price. texas speed lt 400-500 dont remember. then the dual set up 450. now look at the lm set up. lt headers 4-500, ory havent looked im thinking 300, and the lm1 catback 425. so go with the dual save money, save your headache from drone, and gain a little bit of power.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 AM
Launching!

unless you want to go real cheap buy ebay headers haha 200 and i found a sight you can buy the texas speed true dual and pick your mufflers for 425. 625 can have a cheap true dual system. plus getting someone to weld
Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll say GMMG. I don't care if it's over rated. I think it sounds bad *** as well as many others. And it is expensive but I saved my money until I could afford what I wanted. The only advice I can give is that if you can't afford whatever it is that you truely want, save for it. If not you are just going to settle for something you won't be happy with just so you can satisfy the "Mod Bug" everyone gets and end up selling it later to take a loss just to spend more money on what you wanted to begin with. Whatever you do, get what you want the first time around. What sounds best is an opinion. There is no law that says a V8 LS1 must sound this way or you will die... Go to LS1sounds.com, search the site here, search youtube and decide for yourself. Generally true duals will sound better to 90% of those you ask but does it matter if you don't like it? Does it perform better? Yes but that doesn't mean that YOU will like it better. I run a set of Kooks and Kooks ORY with a GMMG and couldn't be happier with the way it sounds and i just plan to install a set of cutouts after the collectors to open for max performance. Anyway, good luck OP.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
I can't see this being much cheaper. You can buy the duals, and have them extended for probably the same price.

Clearance is the biggest problem when running the tsp duals. Yeah they are priced right but getting them to tuck up close to the body like my y-pipe and then find someone who is willing to run them over the axle and out the back for a reasonable amount of money is next to impossible. I have contemplated duals for many months now reading every post that I can find and calling local shops inquiring what they would charge only to be floored at their prices. The only setup I think would work best as far as price and clearance goes is the modified Bassani true duals. With that being said it still would cost $900+ for the system and you still have to modify it. I would rather buy a used slp loudmouth (over the axle section and weld in a medium length powerstick chambered muffler and add resonators right before the tips. I feel that setup would sound good with minimal drone and rasp and still be a fraction of the price of a good true dual system.

They way I see it you will never be FULLY satisfied with your car once you have been bitten by the mod-bug. There will always be another car or setup that you will be envious of, but if you set REALISTIC goals you can be content for awhile. That is just my two cents.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by caturnbull1
ok if sound dont get you on duals then look at the price. texas speed lt 400-500 dont remember. then the dual set up 450. now look at the lm set up. lt headers 4-500, ory havent looked im thinking 300, and the lm1 catback 425. so go with the dual save money, save your headache from drone, and gain a little bit of power.
How much are td's really going to gain over a very light, open pipe lm1 setup?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Depends on the set-up, really. Midrange will get a good boost, that's for sure. But for a conservative "guesstimate" I'd say a solid 10rwhp, more-so on a H/C/I car. Dollar for dollar it's kind of hard to beat.

Taking the cut-out out of the equation (which is just another electrical component that could fail) you have (2) 3" collectors moving through an ORY that should be 3" then squeezing both 3" legs of the Y into a single 3" I-pipe, and finally splitting it into (2) 2.5" tail pipes.

Or you have duals that are 3" throughout with an X that scavenges the other cylinder bank and in essence promotes induction.

Plus it sounds better
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TImmy_Jones
What is the volume difference between LTs, orX, duals and LTs, ory, lm1?
It is not necessarily a volume difference. It is a tonal quality difference.

Think of it this way....somebody who can not sing may be able to produce the same decibels as a trained opera singer. How will your ears percieve what you hear?

My Dual system has every bit the volume the my LMI system had. The tone is so much smoother that it is not nearly as annoying for a given volume, and therfore your ears percieve it differently.

Ultimately no matter what you do to a Y-pipe system it will never sound as good or produce as much power as a comprable dual system. You can add/subtract mufflers/cats/merges. Ultimately you are putting lipstick on a pig, rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic, or any other experession you choose.

One may be able to convince themselves that a Y system sounds better, but they would be mistaken. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but everyone's opinion is not necessarily correct.

In the end if you are happy with what you have, that is great, but facts are facts.

As for a power difference, it may not be life changing, but it exists. In 1994 Morgan-McLure lotorsports arrived at the Daytona 500 with a Cup car that had a notably higher pitch than the rest of the field (H-pipe was standard practice at the time). Sterling MArlin dominated Speedweeks and won the race. Daytona 1995, just about every car ran an X setup. What does that tell you?

Last edited by SSCamaro99_3; 10-03-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Long tubes, ory and lm1 sound like ****. i had it, the only time its tolerable is WOT, and even thasts not that great. i swapped out the bullet for a magnaflow, which greatly improved the sound, but its all to hold me over until i run true duals. nothing else should be used.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Launching!

duals!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

all this talk about duals and no one has mentioned a ricer cannon?

jk **** all that. OP we all have said duals for a reason.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Ricer Cannon! I head Apexi and HKS are having a hell of a sale right now.....
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastassls1maro
i have true dual on mine and love them. I used to have headers, offroad ypipe, with SLP loud mouth 1. It was ungodly loud but very raspy and sounded like **** on decel. I had a local shop custom make a stainless 3" x pipe into bullet muffler with turn downs. The sound is amazing, the only down fall is i do scrape occasionally over bumps. My car is lowered on eibach pro kit springs. So that is another thing to keep in mind.

how did that cost you do to the custom X pipe and the bullet? thanks

Quick Reply: Texas speed duals vs SLP loudmouth sound?