Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas speed duals vs SLP loudmouth sound?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Texas speed duals vs SLP loudmouth sound?

Howdy there. I believe I'm posting this in the correct area, so please forgive me if not. I couldnt find an answer to my question in the threads, so once again if there happens to be, I apologize. I have my little project Formula that im working on...to be frank, I want it to be loud as hell, enough so to turn heads, set off alarms, scare small children and animals into hiding, whilst still gaining a good bit of power. I know I could probably do a muffler delete and run straight pipes, but I'm trying to stay "legal" as well, so I doubt thats going to fly where I live in TX.

I had thought to get texas speed headers and duals, but a pal of mine claims going with a SLP setup would serve my purposes better. Does anyone have any experience or input with these setups? I assume the duals are going to get the power part of it, but ive never heard them on an ls1 aside from a few internet videos which I admit all sound the same to me anyways haha.

Anyways, If anyone can offer any advice, suggestions, or maybe a whole different route, Id appreciate it. My car is pretty much stock, aside from custom tune,CAI, lowering springs and suspension...also its an auto tranny for now, if that makes a difference. I dont have a whole lot of time to do much research myself as I work 14+hrs a day on top of raising a family, so this is just a hobby Im trying to fulfill. Thanks for helpin me get a step closer!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Duals with good mufflers are going to be loud and have a deeper note for the most part. They will better suite your goals.

The SLP setup will be loud, but more in an earsplitting and raspy way.

Straight pipe with no muffler or cats will sound like crap. People will turn their heads...but only because they want to know what is wrong with the farm truck running up behind them at WOT.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duals, dont look back

better sound, performance, and weight
Old 10-01-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xIIIREBORNIIIx
to be frank, I want it to be loud as hell, enough so to turn heads, set off alarms, scare small children and animals into hiding
My setup at wot will scare anyone. Its more of a nascar sound. Great tone at idle, mild at part throttle, and very very loud at wot.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

My friend had the loudmouth on his car with pacesetters and it was soooo loud. It was so loud it didn't sound good anymore because it was so loud. If you want stupid loud just get the SLP. SLP= (Stupid loud pipes)
Old 10-01-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Heres the sound clip

Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Launching!

i have true dual on mine and love them. I used to have headers, offroad ypipe, with SLP loud mouth 1. It was ungodly loud but very raspy and sounded like **** on decel. I had a local shop custom make a stainless 3" x pipe into bullet muffler with turn downs. The sound is amazing, the only down fall is i do scrape occasionally over bumps. My car is lowered on eibach pro kit springs. So that is another thing to keep in mind.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Launching!

here is a WOT vid for sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZFa...o&feature=plcp
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
My setup at wot will scare anyone. Its more of a nascar sound. Great tone at idle, mild at part throttle, and very very loud at wot.
Considering that they are running duals with x-pipes, I would say not. I have owned both systems.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Considering that they are running duals with x-pipes, I would say not. I have owned both systems.
I thought they ran open headers? Which is pretty much what lm1 is.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MikeWS6
I thought they ran open headers? Which is pretty much what lm1 is.
Headers, into an X, and usually into a Dr. Gas boom tube arrangment (can vary by track and power curve they are after).

Any exhaust with a Y merge and single pipe will never have the same sound quality as a true dual arrangement.

I am glad you are happy with your setup (it is the most important thing). However, LMI/ORY will never hold the jock of a true dual system for sound quality. Doesn't make it bad, it just doesn't measure up, and no Y/I Pipe arrangment is capable of doing so.

My LMI/ORY was replaced in a month with a true dual system because the rasp so damn annoying.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Headers, into an X, and usually into a Dr. Gas boom tube arrangment (can vary by track and power curve they are after).

Any exhaust with a Y merge and single pipe will never have the same sound quality as a true dual arrangement.

I am glad you are happy with your setup (it is the most important thing). However, LMI/ORY will never hold the jock of a true dual system for sound quality. Doesn't make it bad, it just doesn't measure up, and no Y/I Pipe arrangment is capable of doing so.

My LMI/ORY was replaced in a month with a true dual system because the rasp so damn annoying.
Yeah the rasp never bothered me. I can see where some people would want a better quality sound though. Lm1 is pretty harsh.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM
The Scammer Hammer

LM1 is very harsh. When I did my MagnaMouth conversion I got the "tone" of the system back. I don't know how else to describe it. The system simply had tone after that.

Now that I have duals, I will tell you I will NEVER EVER look into a Y pipe set-up again.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

A cut out on the stock exhaust wouldnt be a bad idea either.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well my mods (along with my exhaust) are in my sig, and let's just say that i'm VERY ready to change my exhaust setup lol
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Lm1+ory+headers=**** duals+headers=sex it's simple math really
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Well my mods (along with my exhaust) are in my sig, and let's just say that i'm VERY ready to change my exhaust setup lol
Im use to it. Ive had old people and women tell me it sounds cool so it cant be that loud right?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

My son's camaro has slp long tube headers, magnaflow cats, ory pipe, slp loud mouth cat back - his car is freaking LOUD! His has a much lower tone then my Borla though - I can't stand the rasp of both systems. Mine has full length headers, ory pipe, no cats, borla cat back with the full block off restrictor plate. Some day I hope to run duals but I don't want dumps before the axle so I don't know if I will ever pull the trigger on them.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

I couldn't even stand the idea of running a y pipe on my basically stock 5.3 Silverado.

Just did catless 2.5" duals on it. Sounds a ton better and my fuel mileage improved.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Headers, Y pipe, I pipe, and a cat back will never sound as good as headers and true duals...nuff said. End of story.

Quick Reply: Texas speed duals vs SLP loudmouth sound?