Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bbk headers rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default bbk headers rubbing

just finished my build. (installed everything in the sig at the same time...car is a totally different car )

anyways, i installed the BBK LT's and ypipe. but the passenger header is hitting the bottom of the car right where it bolts up to the ypipe. also, i have a bmr driveshaft loop, and the y pipe is actually resting on the brace.

any one else have these issues? how do i go about fixing this problem? im afraid it's causing false knock.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

not to mention, im on stock suspension and the exhaust has rubbed a few times on what isn't [I]that bad[I] of a road. so im thinking i am going to sell my lowering springs and just have the trans am sit like a monster truck since it's my DD
Old 10-28-2012, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am running the heater hose mod on stock springs and shocks.... My I pipe for my bbks sits low too....... I only had rubbing on the heat shield (which is gone now )

good luck
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Use a jack and short section of 2-3" diameter thick wall metal pipe and jack it up into the area several times until you have the needed clearance, you can also do the same on the drivers side so you can tuck the pipe up higher if needed.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Use a jack and short section of 2-3" diameter thick wall metal pipe and jack it up into the area several times until you have the needed clearance, you can also do the same on the drivers side so you can tuck the pipe up higher if needed.
This is a good idea.

I used a big pry bar above the passenger side flange and made about .5" clearance on my bbk's. That metal is pretty soft. And this is with poly mounts.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
im not quite understanding this. care to elaborate? what is the piece of pipe used for? am i jacking up the exhaust to cause it to slightly bend? if so, any suggestion on how to fix the issue where it is hitting the passenger floor board?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

I used a floor jack and a BFH to clearance the floor pan and heat shield on that side.. the floor pans are thin metal an will clearance easy... wasnt too hard to do..
Old 10-29-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ldyzluvdis06
im not quite understanding this. care to elaborate? what is the piece of pipe used for? am i jacking up the exhaust to cause it to slightly bend? if so, any suggestion on how to fix the issue where it is hitting the passenger floor board?
Do not use a jack on the exhaust system. On the passenger side use a piece of pipe, next to the collector and against the floor board, to clearance the floor board around the flange with the jack. Pretty sure the OP did this with the header was off as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
Do not use a jack on the exhaust system. On the passenger side use a piece of pipe, next to the collector and against the floor board, to clearance the floor board around the flange with the jack. Pretty sure the OP did this with the header was off as well.
ahic...well i def. dont want to take the header back off...it's a pain in the *** as we all know. lol...maybe ill just use a pipe and jack it up on the floor pan and hope it bends enough, or a big *** pry bar.

as for the ypipe resting on the driveshaft loop, do i just need to weld an exhaust hanger on the car and hang it up?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just finished my build. (installed everything in the sig at the same time...car is a totally different car )

anyways, i installed the BBK LT's and ypipe. but the passenger header is hitting the bottom of the car right where it bolts up to the ypipe. also, i have a bmr driveshaft loop, and the y pipe is actually resting on the brace.

any one else have these issues? how do i go about fixing this problem? im afraid it's causing false knock.
I did not have any issues. Does the bmr loop mount where a tunnel brace mounted torque arm would go? If so it needs to have a dip so it will clear the pipe, or go with a MWC loop, they fit above the exhaust so theres no clearance issue.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

it has a dip in it where the exhaust should go through. but i dont have an exhaust hanger in the middle so it is resting on the brace. is there supposed to be a stock exhaust hanger on the body where the y pipe hangs from? the bbk ypipe came with a hanger welded on the pipe, but the car has no hanger there. ...?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Remove the Y-pipe and loosen the header bolts enough so you can move the collectors some, then jack the pipe up into the area needing clearance. This will give you the clearance without it looking hack.

Like this:O
Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

PSH i just unbolted the header completely and then put the jack on the flange and just cranked on it lol.. then BFH'd it a little and it cleared fine... those BBK's are THICK
Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just went ahead and removed the header and BFH the floor, have a ton of clearance now, lol.

now i just need to take it to a shop tomorrow and have a hanger welded on that way i can get it off of the DS brace.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

just yank that stupid POS off... the factory sheet metal piece does NOTHING. i had mine off and drove it for 14k miles without and never any issues...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
just yank that stupid POS off... the factory sheet metal piece does NOTHING. i had mine off and drove it for 14k miles without and never any issues...
it's not the factory piece...it's the BMR DS loop ( http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=249)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had bbk headers mine rubbed on the passanger side too. ill never own a set again. now have hooker super comps tru duels with slp lm2 mufflers. fits alot better
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSH i just unbolted the header completely and then put the jack on the flange and just cranked on it lol.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it has a dip in it where the exhaust should go through. but i dont have an exhaust hanger in the middle so it is resting on the brace. is there supposed to be a stock exhaust hanger on the body where the y pipe hangs from? the bbk ypipe came with a hanger welded on the pipe, but the car has no hanger there. ...?
Yes, there should be a hanger there, it uses the stock Y pipe mount bolted to the trans. Its just to the left of the trans crossmember in the pic.

Originally Posted by 98cobrakiller
i had bbk headers mine rubbed on the passanger side too. ill never own a set again. now have hooker super comps tru duels with slp lm2 mufflers. fits alot better
I havent had the problem at all & havent heard nothing about this until now. The OPs car is missing the mount for the Y pipe that bolts to the trans thats the problem.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

it sounds like he is referring to the header it self. i had to remove the header to BFH the floor.

thanks for the reply about the hanger flint, i tried finding the stock hanger but couldn't, so i got out the welder and added a new one. now it fits perfect and im not getting my knock sensor code any more so i was obviously just false due to the exhaust hitting.

Quick Reply: bbk headers rubbing