Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow to flowmaster hp

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm through responding to this thread. The reason I posted hear in the first place is to say that my FLOWMASTER 2 CHAMBER - 3 INCH SINGLE OUTLET-NON-CROSSFLOW MUFFLER sounds great and suits MY needs! Coming from my 2 1/2 INCH SUPER TURBO CROSSFLOW they feel the same!

Phantomws6, Maybe in the future you could try not to jump on peoples back for having an opinion on what there OWN car sounds/feels like. Just because you have an unnecessary amount of posts doesn't give you the knowledge or the right to tell me about my own car. If I needed to hear a smartass comment from a 20 year old kid with no experience that sits behind a computer all day and makes senseless posts i'd go to LS1.com.

Thank you.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:39 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phantomws6, Maybe in the future you could try not to jump on peoples back for having an opinion on what there OWN car sounds/feels like. Just because you have an unnecessary amount of posts doesn't give you the knowledge or the right to tell me about my own car. If I needed to hear a smartass comment from a 20 year old kid with no experience that sits behind a computer all day and makes senseless posts i'd go to LS1.com
I think you have that all backwards my friend. Why don't you take your flowmaster to a dyno, and run it. Then switch to a magnaflow system (which you have obviously never heard before if you think it sounds like a tin can) and dyno that as well. When the dyno shows you the 10rwhp or so you gain across the board over the flowmaster, and you actually HEAR the sound of the magnaflow, then maybe you will have a clue.
Until then, you should honestly stop making "senseless posts" .... especially since the question that was asked was in regards to the HORSEPOWER differences between the two. I do not recall him asking about the "seat of the pants feeling you get" or the difference in sound between the two. Your opinion is great and all, but unfortunately it is extremely bias'd, since you have never had a magnaflow on your car. Nobody cares what you gained/lost from switching from your other muffler to the flowmaster, and you just continue to make yourself look less intelligent with each passing post.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:54 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
Magnaflow Vs SLP LM

Which is louder at idle? Which is louder at WOT? And which flows better?
i believe the LM is the answer to all those. i recommend it, i have had mine for 8 months now and i still like it. have you ever been cruising and had someone blow by you with a LM, it's an awesome sound.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pewter01SS
i believe the LM is the answer to all those. i recommend it, i have had mine for 8 months now and i still like it. have you ever been cruising and had someone blow by you with a LM, it's an awesome sound.

Lol thanks thats what im prob. going with
Old 04-13-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

everywhere i look its about 295-305 and 340-350 total w/ shipping, anybody know any other places where its cheaper for NEW AND NEVER BEEN USED system rather then used ones from the parts section on here.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

22 year old who doesnt know **** here,

3.5" flowmaster delta force race mufflers cant even support h/c hp levels. i lose roughly 15-18 hp through the flowmaster that through the cutouts, not to mention 8 ftlbs
Old 04-13-2004, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1ownzYOU
everywhere i look its about 295-305 and 340-350 total w/ shipping, anybody know any other places where its cheaper for NEW AND NEVER BEEN USED system rather then used ones from the parts section on here.

Just a thought, but instead of buying a LM you might want to check into building a dynomouth. Dynomax bullets are really cheap, and a lot of people change out their loudmouth resonator for a bullet anyway. It shouldn't cost too much for a local exhaust shop to place the bullet in the I-pipe and fab up some piping for where the stock muffler used to be. Just my $.02
Old 07-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightHawk
LMAO

I actually have a Flowmaster 53083 muffler in my garage right now that never made it onto my car. The reason being that I found not only many people saying that they suck, but dyno numbers that PROVED that they suck (way more than just a couple hp). Their straight mufflers aren't bad from what I've seen. I'll probably end up going with their one chambers when I re-do my duals, but the only way I'd put a blowmaster crossflow on my car is if I had a cutout to go with it.

BTW if any of you FM diehards want to buy one of these monstrosites, I'll sell you mine....cheap
NightHawk you still have your muffler for sale?

I am looking for one.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I saw a report done by dynomax where 4 differeent flowmaster 3 inch mufflers were compared to the dynomax 2.5 inch mufflers. The dynomax 2.5 inch ultraflo outflowed every 3 inch flowmaster muffler.

The 3inch dynomax ultraflo oval muffler flowed ~900-950cfm almost DOUBLE the flowmaster.

I run the ultraflo and it works really well and sounds great.

You can also get them in stainless which is nice. The Magnaflow is ok but it seems to pop/rasp a fair bit. The dynomax is smoother sound imo.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Teching In

My flowmaster feels strong and sounds good. I dont belive the loss in power people say about this exhaust. Maybe i just got a good one? (two, i had one on my lt1 too actually and it ws nice). I remember one guy on here posted his dyno numbers stock and then after the magnaflow and he LOST 10rwhp with the magnaflow over stock. Of course there are a ton of other variables that could have caused that lose in power, but he did dyno again later after another mod or two adn still wasnt back up to his original numbers. Not bashing the magnaflow at all though, it does look nice.

If i bought another catback it would be the Hooker, its only ~$280 and flows well and sounds good. I would take it over the flowmaster only b/c i have had the flowmaster exhaust for the last 4 years and i would like something different.

Last edited by Mystic; 07-16-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Yep ... I do not know where Eastern Bowtie is getting his info from, but flowmasters on F-bods do NOT sound as good as they do on other cars (LT1's, big blocks, stangs) ...
An LT1 is an f-body too.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98gibzilla
NightHawk you still have your muffler for sale?

I am looking for one.

Thanks
Yeah, still have it. Sent you a PM
Old 07-16-2004, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mystic
An LT1 is an f-body too.
LOL, smartass
Old 07-16-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

1. Eastern Bowtie, I have had both set ups and the my flowmaster did nothing for my 98 Z28. Before and after times were exactly the same. Now, my Magnaflow alone knocked .2 off of my 1/4 mile time in my 2000 SS. Before the Magnaflow catback, I ran 13.3 at 109. After the Magnaflow catback, I ran 13.0 and 13.1 at 111 and 110.5. Obviously the Magnaflow made more power.
2. The flowmaster sounds a lot more like a tin can than the Magnaflow. It also pops a lot more. The Magnaflow has a deeper better sound tone to it.

XFAGPHANTOM OF THE OPERA I see you continue to be a *****. Where is the Rainbow Coalition and the Brown Eye Brigade you usually tag team someone with. Be careful Eastern Bowtie. This punk will get Big Bronco the Gimp, Super MArio Pole Smoker and Unic 213 in hear to tag team you. Its like a little internet club. They live behind there cpu's and play tough guys with others. They are full of internet courage.

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is right but I will mention that 2 and 1 chamber mufflers that we run on old school rides flow better than the one available for our ride. Then again I just had my Flows replaced in my 72 SS with Dynomax Ultraflows.

PEACE OUT AND DON'T BE HATING!!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Teching In

I have the Magnaflow on my car now and I am not happy with the tone of the muffler. Nice muffler but I am not impressed.

I am not sure if its my ear or not but FLowmaster is much deeper and it is more musical to my ears than any other system I have heard over at ls1sounds.com I do like the B&B but it is out of my price range. Anyhow, I am not into racing so if I lose 2 to 5 HPs I would not care. I would like my Z to sound good.

NightHawk. Can you send me an email for your 53083. I am new to forums and I did not get any PM's, or I do not know where to pick it up. email. abarzi@***.net

Regards,
Old 07-16-2004, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

I posted a few months back on my experiance.When I first bought my car the first mod was a flowmaster A/T catback,I liked the sound thru the stock front and ran 13.4@106 with a lid.I installed ported t/body,kooks and ORY,4.10s,nittos and ran 13.05@109 consistant but the damn FM sounded like a tin can and my wife was on me about it plus I thought the gains from the mods SUCKED! I installed a magnaflow muffler and 18" bullet in the I pipe and it responded with a string of 13.0@111s in worse weather with a 3600' DA.Next weekend it was cooler with a 1000' DA and went 12.94/12.72 and a 12.66 at over 112 MPH and it sounds freakin awesome.I even had people at the line comment on how great the car sounded going thru the gears.Some ET gain was driving the car correctly but the MPH was not.Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by glennster
I posted a few months back on my experiance.When I first bought my car the first mod was a flowmaster A/T catback,I liked the sound thru the stock front and ran 13.4@106 with a lid.I installed ported t/body,kooks and ORY,4.10s,nittos and ran 13.05@109 consistant but the damn FM sounded like a tin can and my wife was on me about it plus I thought the gains from the mods SUCKED! I installed a magnaflow muffler and 18" bullet in the I pipe and it responded with a string of 13.0@111s in worse weather with a 3600' DA.Next weekend it was cooler with a 1000' DA and went 12.94/12.72 and a 12.66 at over 112 MPH and it sounds freakin awesome.I even had people at the line comment on how great the car sounded going thru the gears.Some ET gain was driving the car correctly but the MPH was not.Just my 2 cents.

Magnaflow sounds more raspy with no ***** to me. I do not care if magnaflow drops a whole second of a 1/4 mile. I live in SoCal, so I am in traffic all the time. Furthermore, I do not go to the track. I did that 15 years ago with my Dodge Dart Hemi. All I know is my ears likes Flowmasters better. Are they better than Maganflow (NO) do they sound better and give more performance over stock muffler (Yes). Are they cheap (Yes).

I think people who have invested in heads, cam, and other mods benefit more from a better flowing mufller. However a stock z28 will do just fine with a flowmaster. 5 to 10 hps is good enough for me with a great exhaust note.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:48 AM
11 Second Club

Magnaflow sounds more raspy with no ***** to me. I do not care if magnaflow drops a whole second of a 1/4 mile. I live in SoCal, so I am in traffic all the time. Furthermore, I do not go to the track. I did that 15 years ago with my Dodge Dart Hemi. All I know is my ears likes Flowmasters better. Are they better than Maganflow (NO) do they sound better and give more performance over stock muffler (Yes). Are they cheap (Yes).

I think people who have invested in heads, cam, and other mods benefit more from a better flowing mufller. However a stock z28 will do just fine with a flowmaster. 5 to 10 hps is good enough for me with a great exhaust note.
Wow,you stated all the reasons to install a performance mod on the F-body of a noob........"its cheap and sounds cool" You may enjoy the bumper to bumper in your fast sounding Z but I perform mods that actually enhance the performance of my Z to drive it on the weekends and sometime 1/4 mile runs.Better stick to tellin the grandkids about mean ole hemis and buy a corolla.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by glennster
Wow,you stated all the reasons to install a performance mod on the F-body of a noob........"its cheap and sounds cool" You may enjoy the bumper to bumper in your fast sounding Z but I perform mods that actually enhance the performance of my Z to drive it on the weekends and sometime 1/4 mile runs.Better stick to tellin the grandkids about mean ole hemis and buy a corolla.
This is the main reason I stay away from the track. I am Mr. Right! Bunch of young guys pounding their chests with no class. I am not saying all guys are like that but you are showing that you might be one of them. You think your Z is fast at track. You think your Z is a weekend car that is great. I consider my Z a beater. Do not get me wrong I do take care of, but I would never spend my hard earned money and time on a car that is disposable and I would never consider my beater a weekend car.

Enjoy your one of kind Camaro.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

This is the main reason I stay away from the track. I am Mr. Right! Bunch of young guys pounding their chests with no class. I am not saying all guys are like that but you are showing that you might be one of them. You think your Z is fast at track. You think your Z is a weekend car that is great. I consider my Z a beater. Do not get me wrong I do take care of, but I would never spend my hard earned money and time on a car that is disposable and I would never consider my beater a weekend car.

Enjoy your one of kind Camaro.
I'm 42 BTW and didn't say anything about thinking my car is fast.I run a 10.0 small block 81 camaro so trust me,12's don't really scare me.I have no idea what a guy like you is doing on a car site but I have no love for someone who puts down camaros.

Quick Reply: magnaflow to flowmaster hp