Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow to flowmaster hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i had a flowmaster on my bolt on car and yeah i liked the sound but kept reading about the bad power but the guy that had the car before me said he felt more power over factory cat back so i just said id leave it alone. well i heard gmmg for the first time and that became my next part on the list. the gmmg makes the flowmaster sound shitty and wussy. after i put gmmg on there it definately freed up power casue on accel the tires would burn up so much easier and these were on hotter days. WOT is sick. yea its a lot of money but its worth it i think. flowmaster isnt. flowmaster was good if i wanted to lose power so i didnt screw up my factory clutch. after gmmg i noticed the clutch losing strength prob cause the engine got tons more power for being able to breathe
Old 07-17-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

flow = loud and less loud = less flow... Simple...

I'd run a dual/dual magna with the X pipe like core. Inlets and outlets criss cross.. Best sound with the least restriction.... Still run a x pipe up front but the tone is noticably more refined than a normal dual dual outback.. Since overaxles and mid pipes are'nt identical L 2 R the x style perfcore balances things off w/o alot of restriction..

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 07-17-2004 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98gibzilla
Magnaflow sounds more raspy with no ***** to me. I do not care if magnaflow drops a whole second of a 1/4 mile. I live in SoCal, so I am in traffic all the time. Furthermore, I do not go to the track. I did that 15 years ago with my Dodge Dart Hemi. All I know is my ears likes Flowmasters better. Are they better than Maganflow (NO) do they sound better and give more performance over stock muffler (Yes). Are they cheap (Yes).

I think people who have invested in heads, cam, and other mods benefit more from a better flowing mufller. However a stock z28 will do just fine with a flowmaster. 5 to 10 hps is good enough for me with a great exhaust note.
http://www.ls1.com/forums/index.htmllook under flowmaster thread by gibzilla
You got owned gibzilla.So.........you don't care about performance and don't like the magnaflow?You don't even freakin have one,what a loser.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by glennster
http://www.ls1.com/forums/index.htmllook under flowmaster thread by gibzilla
You got owned gibzilla.So.........you don't care about performance and don't like the magnaflow?You don't even freakin have one,what a loser.
I just bought the car, I was just trying to find out the owner before had the right one on there. I could not belive the sound of the muffler. I was just looking for the part number so I could look it on the internet for the size and specs you idiot. I do not have to lie for $100 muffler. I might just send you $100 to get you to shut uo. You have, no class, and you are accusing me of lying about a stuipd mufller. I originally posted just to buy NightHawks muffler that is it after I found out I do not like the sound of my Magnaflow muffler. As a matter of fact, I will send it to you free. What a loser you are that you think I would waste my time and down talk magnaflow muffler tone. As far being new to ls1's I am. But I do not consider a ls1 car a gods gift to man kind. Sorry to busrt your bubble; your car is not all that. I do not know where you live, however come to west cost around San Diego and you can see what a one of kind rides look like. I do not have to go to details with a child like you about my cars. So lets just leave it as that. Good luck with your Camaro. There are 1 million of them just like it. And have fun with the extra 6mph you gained at the track. Maybe it will get you laid one day.
Regards,
Old 07-17-2004, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

I just bought the car, I was just trying to find out the owner before had the right one on there. I could not belive the sound of the muffler. I was just looking for the part number so I could look it on the internet for the size and specs you idiot. I do not have to lie for $100 muffler. I might just send you $100 to get you to shut uo. You have, no class, and you are accusing me of lying about a stuipd mufller. I originally posted just to buy NightHawks muffler that is it after I found out I do not like the sound of my Magnaflow muffler. As a matter of fact, I will send it to you free. What a loser you are that you think I would waste my time and down talk magnaflow muffler tone. As far being new to ls1's I am. But I do not consider a ls1 car a gods gift to man kind. Sorry to busrt your bubble; your car is not all that. I do not know where you live, however come to west cost around San Diego and you can see what a one of kind rides look like. I do not have to go to details with a child like you about my cars. So lets just leave it as that. Good luck with your Camaro. There are 1 million of them just like it. And have fun with the extra 6mph you gained at the track. Maybe it will get you laid one day.
Regards,
You got owned pal.I could give a **** about 1 of a kind cars.I have 3 camaros and don't really care what anyone thinks of them,I just don't like people posting BS like you and calling camaros disposable.I highly doubt you could hold a conversation about any cars details so don't flatter yourself.Oh,I have a suggestion on were you can stick that 100 dollars.Out.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

OK enough of this crap.....I had FM on my car, and got rid of it in less than 2 months....why? Because it blew!!! It was quiet and had a horible wisp sound. The car even sound resticted, and that was because it was. FM is more restrictive than an SS muffler, it is purely for sound not performance.

Magnaflow is great, and the poping noise you speak of is most likely durring down shift. FM does it too, if you are talking about backfire than FM wont do it like a magnaflow will, but all in all.......poping and gurgling are what makes a muscle car sound the way it does, not the Flowmaster sound. You want old school muscle car sound get chambered exhaust. If you want to try to sound like a muscle car and lose power get Flowmaster.

IMO why buy an exhaust if you can't hear it from more than 30 yards away? Our cars are muscle cars, we look for power, sound, and looks. I think if it doesn't give you at least 2 of those than it is a waste....POWER being the absolute most important thing on my mind at all times!! Flowmaster is ugly, sounds goofy and is quiet, and makes you lose power.....even over stock.

NOW STFU you losers who are getting pissy, and the noobie that is being a keyboard hardass with 14 posts.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Teching In

This is the main reason I stay away from the track. I am Mr. Right! Bunch of young guys pounding their chests with no class. I am not saying all guys are like that but you are showing that you might be one of them. You think your Z is fast at track. You think your Z is a weekend car that is great. I consider my Z a beater. Do not get me wrong I do take care of, but I would never spend my hard earned money and time on a car that is disposable and I would never consider my beater a weekend car.

Enjoy your one of kind Camaro.
i should dispose YOU.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Regards,
the class you talk of, you have NONE. if you knew ANYTHING about cars you'd know that the Camaro is KING of all muscle cars, and ur hemi ***** never came close to it, hence why the Camaro is a classic, and why people pay BIG money for matching numbers camaros, while your one-of-a-kind cars go for 10-20k the most. NO ONE GIVES A **** keep ur dumb ****** opinions to yourself!
Old 07-18-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroSS

NOW STFU you losers who are getting pissy, and the noobie that is being a keyboard hardass with 14 posts.
Ha Ha, you're one to talk KidFreak, you came on talking **** with less posts than that

But he's right...there's no need to get so worked up over something as subjective as the way something sounds. It basically boils down to an opinion and you all are agruing that your opinion is right over someone else's

Originally Posted by un4giv3n
the class you talk of, you have NONE. if you knew ANYTHING about cars you'd know that the Camaro is KING of all muscle cars, and ur hemi ***** never came close to it, hence why the Camaro is a classic, and why people pay BIG money for matching numbers camaros, while your one-of-a-kind cars go for 10-20k the most. NO ONE GIVES A **** keep ur dumb ****** opinions to yourself!
Mmmmkay...you state your opinon then tell someone to keep their opions to themselves, brilliant.

Oh btw, I don't think any number-matching classics regularly go for money than Mopars, especially hemis
Old 07-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightHawk
Ha Ha, you're one to talk KidFreak, you came on talking **** with less posts than that

But he's right...there's no need to get so worked up over something as subjective as the way something sounds. It basically boils down to an opinion and you all are agruing that your opinion is right over someone else's

Mmmmkay...you state your opinon then tell someone to keep their opions to themselves, brilliant.

Oh btw, I don't think any number-matching classics regularly go for money than Mopars, especially hemis
yea they do.. and its not an opinion its a fact. go look it up.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

427 Yenko camaros
COPO camaros..

A split window vette is probably the same or more than a super bee....

Anyway this is getting stupid..

Flowmasters flow ok considering the degree of attenuation (silencing) they create... A magnaflow flows like crazy because it is basically a glorified glass pack.. It has perforated core as opposed to louvers.. again more flow and less hush with the perf than louvers... It has a big oval shape as opposed to a bullet.. so that is better for quieting....

If we are staying on topic..

1. Keep the magna...
2. Buy a magnaflow round canister muffler, magna bullet or a dynomax bullet and cut a home for it in the mid pipe after the cats...

That should do it...
Old 07-18-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flowmaster sounds very good to me through cats, especially on LT1's. I love the deep tone it has. However, if I was also interested in having something more than just a lightly modified car, I'd also throw a cutout on it for that extra flow at the track or in a race. Otherwise, who cares about having a little less horsepower if you're just cruising around town enjoying the car...

This thread is stupid because everyone should just run what they like and not waste their time trying to prove a point that the next guy will never agree with...
Old 07-18-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

I can make a system with magnas you will love... It just wont be a single and wont be cheap.

X-pipe to round bullets bullets to over axles over axles to dual dual magna with criss cross flowing cores (tru x)... The bullets I run are long for frequency reasons... think long guitar string vs short. The tru x in back is like an X shaped intersection.. so in reality most of the exhaust from the left side exits the right and vice versa... Since both cores are connected the pressure is equal and if the other half of the muffler has lower pressure some of one side will seek out the lower pressure and exit the other tip some too.. I wish I made a sound clip because I was proud of my self on that one..
Old 07-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Mud
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by un4giv3n
yea they do.. and its not an opinion its a fact. go look it up.
Most of the classic muscle cars have numerous versions or models. As an old roadrunner fan I must say the most costly cars I've seen have been the Dodge Daytona and the Superbird. And just for the books the old 426 Hemi was one bad *** engine.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

gents, when i had the flowmaster i gained 7 rwhp.
speed inc put it on and did the dynos.
one pull before and two pulls after install.
i now have a stainless magnaflow on because of the deal i got for it but, perfered the flowmaster sound.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice... trolls in an exhaust thread.

Tech content going down hill in this one.

If you have a TECHNICAL information to share, start another post.. if not, take it somewhere else.

Quick Reply: magnaflow to flowmaster hp